Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I thought it was all Emmets they hated not just us in vans
They don’t hate emmets Jim.
Right from the days the Railway workers of Crew were given cheap holidays in St Ives ( where I was born ) the locals would go and collect them from the station. Yes it was for money and still is, but that is tourism everywhere.
The locals in my time ALWAYS called them visitors.
Yes it was a relief when they all went home, but with the death of fishing and Tin there is no other living to be made and 2nd homes complete the sorry picture.
Up here in East Anglia where I now live, we are also inundated with tourists and blighted by 2nd homes, but again, it is a main revenue source for the locals in a deprived area.
Having said that, the last time I went home it broke my heart to see it now turned into a “theme park” and populated by people from all over the country who buy up the houses, call themselves “locals” and ARE often anti visitor.
Sorry to rant, but can’t hear the real locals being Mis-quoted.
Am I banned ?
😜
Mitch.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They don’t hate emmets Jim.

I've no idea. But true or not it seems to have become a bity of a stereotype.

I've not been back for 25 years. When the kids were little we'd be down there at least twice a year sometimes we'd rent a house/cottage we've stopped in hotels and B&Bs and we've spent countless nights in motorhomes, above one cove or another. We loved the Lizard so much we were going to buy a cottage in Mullion but could never quite get the money together.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
5 Years
Just back from 2 weeks in Cornwall, all very quiet, we didn’t book anything beforehand. Everywhere we went there was space on sites. Carparks in Padstow had dedicated motorhome spaces. Never felt not wanted anywhere. We heard the same about the North of Scotland last 2 years. The pictures the media painted were far from reality. There’s always a few everywhere you go that don’t like Motorhomers the same ones usually don’t like any visitors. Unfortunately they shout the loudest and get listened to more.
I agree, i'm from Scotland and travel in the MoHo here a lot. 2 or so years ago when Covid kicked in, everyone was scared and there was a huge rise in people travelling locally and making a mess of the areas - don't know who was to blame but heard some real horror stories - especially up north. There were only limited sites up there at the time. The first reaction by locals, farmers and councils was rejection but within a year it changed to building Aires, new sites and reuse of spare land, welcoming visitors instead and keeping the costs down to encourage tourists/MoHo and campers alike. Well done for turning a negative experience into a positive result i say!

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Yes,l think a lot of others are thinking instead of paying to come to Cornwall they might as well get on a ferry and go to Europe...such as France have MH parking on nearly every street corner,we are in our 70s and are nervous about doing it but l wonder if there are groups that travel down together.that would make it do-able for us oldies, hahaha 😂😂
just done 6 weeks in Spain and Portugal for our first trip abroad with the van and I can say it was a lot better driving there than the UK ,so just do a plan and go for it (y)(y)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I don’t think we will return to Cornwall.
I git the impression that they don’t want the tourists but want their money.
I would however go back to Devon.
They even put the cream & jam on properly there 🎣🎣🎣🤣🤣
philistine :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Well,I'm amazed at your experience,but welcome the info...can l ask you which sight in Padstow you used,only,we loved the place years ago and wanted to return this trip,but some friends have already been earlier this week and couldn't find a space ... several for cars etc but none for their van.weve been round Perranporth carparks twice wondering if we'd missed something but no...there are height barriers on them all
We used Mother Ivey's Bay which is about 4 miles from Padstow. It's one of the nicest sites I've been on but declined their offer of £13 a night for ehu!!!. We used the park and ride carpark just on the outskirts of Padstow, there's a bus into town but it's only a 10 min walk. We also stayed at Dennis Cove Campsite in Padstow. Very reasonable and only a short walk into town. The website said no motorhomes over 7m but we called them and they said it wasn't a problem. We are 7.5m.

Reactions: bri
Jul 19, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Carado Vlow 600
Exp
Since 2008 so I'm a Newbie
Cornwall can be a bit grim in July and August when the hoards descend but we’ve just spent a cracking few months in North Cornwall, getting a bit of relief from the winter weather and tramworks in Edinburgh. Everyone’s been v friendly and the big attractions like Helligan and St Ives haven’t been too crowded. Also… definitely jam first.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
.weve been round Perranporth carparks twice wondering if we'd missed something but no...there are height barriers on them all
That's a shock ☹
Some of the traders of quality seaside tat used to park their Van's in wheal car park as well, I wonder where they park now 🤔

Reactions: bri
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
We used Mother Ivey's Bay which is about 4 miles from Padstow. It's one of the nicest sites I've been on but declined their offer of £13 a night for ehu!!!.
£13 a night for EHU! That must be a record high price! How much were the site fees?

Jul 2, 2019
Rugby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2019, folding camper for many years.
Just back from 2 weeks in Cornwall, all very quiet, we didn’t book anything beforehand. Everywhere we went there was space on sites. Carparks in Padstow had dedicated motorhome spaces. Never felt not wanted anywhere. We heard the same about the North of Scotland last 2 years. The pictures the media painted were far from reality. There’s always a few everywhere you go that don’t like Motorhomers the same ones usually don’t like any visitors. Unfortunately they shout the loudest and get listened to more.
Hi We're just back from Cornwall had no trouble finding places to park. Agree Perranporth car parks are restricted but the petrol station on the way in does motorhome parking for the day £10, also you can stay overnight there for £10 high season price does come down later in the year. Boscastle has dedicated motorhome bays too. Pentire point in Newquay is a lovely place to park and have a cliff top walk, also Haylyn Bay. We stayed in Perranporth at Tollgate Farm. Dont let one miserable so and so at The Bowgie put you off Cornwall, its a beautiful place. (y)
:giggle:

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
That’s a shame. The only emotion I feel when in Cornwall is one of belonging and wanting to live there. I’m sure some locals are dicks but last year a local on The Lizard offered to take us bass fishing, I still have his number, and another had become a Facebook pal who offered to take us fishing in his boat.

In early June on the Helford we got friendly with local fisherman, that sort of waving across the rocks hello again type stuff.

Perhaps when we head down again in July we’ll find the grumpy ones 😂

d
We did a tour of Cornwall in 2019, no problems at all, 8.3 mtr tag axle, but then we respect any parking restrictions in place, and always check / ask if not sure, we found that we were welcome almost everywhere, pubs, farm shops, attractions etc, Tintagel, MH parking / overnight fine, Padstow park at top of the hill and walk down, no overnighting, but guy pointed us to a secluded lay-by where we were ok, Marazion, MH's welcome in the huge car park, we ate in a pub and stayed there,
I think that if you have a mind to just do as YOU please then you will find problems almost anywhere in the UK,
WE never park up for more than 1 night, and never "set up camp" at the roadside, all that is needed is a bit of consideration for the residents of the area one is visiting,
This morning I have experienced the sort of behaviour directed against Motorhomes, as described earlier, A friend of ours, who lives in a small coastal Suffolk village, had asked me to make him a large pergola for his garden, which i fabricated at home because of the amount of work involved, and decided to deliver it to him today on the trailer behind the MH, whilst parked outside his house whilst he moved his cars about a neighbour call the Police, who arrived, 2 cars and 4 officers, who started to tell me that i could not be there as motorhomes are not allowed to park on "their" streets, I with my friend tried to explain that i was not camping or intending to sleep there but that i was using the MH to tow my trailer to deliver something, and would be parking the whole rig on his driveway when space had been cleared, There are no parking restriction signs on that street, and it is very wide so no problems, I was told quite clearly that "People like you" are leaving too much rubbish about,
I give up

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Having said that, the last time I went home it broke my heart to see it now turned into a “theme park” and populated by people from all over the country who buy up the houses, call themselves “locals” and ARE often anti visitor.
Sorry to rant, but can’t hear the real locals being Mis-quoted.

Absolutely correct, well said you.

Many of the so called locals (and I do not necessarily mean 'local' as those born in the county, because I wasn't) are those that travel over the Tamar for the "season" as traders, screw as much as possible out of the visitors over the summer months and take their ill gotten gains back over the county line so that Cornwall does not benefit in the long term other than for the low paid workers they employ on minimum hourly rates! The problem is that there is very little permanent work here other than fishing and farming, so many "locals" need the seasonal work to make ends meet and will work for more or less anyone who is offering a few hours.

Having read through the thread, I am disappointed and sad that so many people are negative, or have had bad experiences in Cornwall, because after living and working here for 41 years (almost a local!), I can categorically say that much of the bad behaviour that Funsters have mentioned in the thread above, is not down to the locals (although of course there are one or two who regularly misbehave), but is more likely to be a certain mindset such as the Stag and Hen party set, and those that display an entitlement attitude i.e. I am on holiday so I can do what I b****y like.

One of the biggest complaints (locals and visitors) is about the traffic jams and the numbers of people swarming about in the County, however, during the winter the roads are clear (hooray) and the pavements are not an obstacle course of people, pushchairs, dogs etc (fantastic) ......and yes, some locals do moan when they cannot get to work, or the pub, or the doctors because of the sheer numbers of visitors that are about. It is ironic, that those that moan the loudest seem to be some of the visitors, but they cannot seem to see that they are a significant part of the problem!!!!

......and don't get me started on the numbers of people who do not know where reverse is when they meet a b*****y great bus, tractor or delivery truck on some of our narrow lanes, causing an absolute snarlup:LOL::LOL:.

Last time we went to Cornwall we bailed out after a few days got fed up with the cold & rain and it was summer.

Yes Lenny, our weather is crap, but it is all ours and at least the rain is warm in Summer :ROFLMAO:

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Cream then jam. The cream is supposed to represent butter to the rest of us/country.

Oh no it isn't! The only reason the folks north of the Tamar put the cream on first is because they are ashamed of their cream product so cover it up with jam, while the folk in Cornwall are very proud of their real clotted cream, so give it pride of place on top of the jam!! That's right, isn't it Devon Sue ? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
We were in Waymouth recently, in the main shopping center car park. It was massive with spaces for loads of cars etc at £2/ hour. It was almost empty. It had a notice that allowed for motor homes....4.6 meters max length, in very small writing that could be easily missed. . What is the point of that. We did not stay in Waymouth because of this.
On the same trip, we were in a large beach side NT car park at Charmouth, which allowed for motor homes. But again in very small writing that could be easily missed, it stated max weight for motor homes was 3030 kg. I am not sure how they would have policed that ?

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Have been caravanning and now with MH in Europe for over 40 years now - to date, no problems at all other than one MH wing mirror sent to its resting place wherever!!!! The English Tourist Board needs to get its proverbial finger out and realise the massive opportunities for income into the local coffers around the country from MH's. Its pathetic that there are so few "Aires" in the UK near places of interest and the bus services are getting worse sadly. End of rant.

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Yes,l think a lot of others are thinking instead of paying to come to Cornwall they might as well get on a ferry and go to Europe...such as France have MH parking on nearly every street corner,we are in our 70s and are nervous about doing it but l wonder if there are groups that travel down together.that would make it do-able for us oldies, hahaha 😂😂
I only began going abroad when I was 65 and hadn't driven abroad for 40 years. So I understand your nervousness.

We've been spending 6 months abroad for the last 10 years and now feel as comfortable "there" as we do "here".

I wonder if it night be worth you sharing exactly what the issues are that concern you (e.g. driving, health problems, language-s, routes, finding stopovers, access to money etc) There are lots of experienced travellers in Europe on this site who I'm sure would be pleased to share their solutions with you - and others who might feel the same way as you do.

Alternatively, most of the things that can cause difficulties have been aired in threads on this site and you'll probably find answers have already been discussed.

If it's (just) a matter of confidence in taking what can appear to be a large step you could try doing short trips to start with ( as we did) and not venture too far.

Although I have no experience with joining a group to travel in Europe I understand that the various Clubs do organise "Rallies". You might find Funsters who you could tag along with too?

Anyroadup, if you do decide to take the plunge I wish you well in your new adventures.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I can only say about 5 words in french , 1 in greek , zero in Bulgarian, Albanian, Italian, Romanian etc but have managed absolutely fine. Sign language works wonders
One of our concerns about our lack of French is if something goes wrong. We didn’t seem to care when we were much younger, and things did go wrong, from son breaking arm to cracked windscreen from hail.
but now in 70s much more cautious.

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
This is a bit off topic but we found exactly the same problem in Portugal which led to us cutting our holiday short after three nights. We ate out every night and the Portugese restaurants lost a fortune! No camping car signs everywhere.

I hate to say it but there are more and more appearing here in southern France as well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is a bit off topic but we found exactly the same problem in Portugal which led to us cutting our holiday short after three nights. We ate out every night and the Portugese restaurants lost a fortune! No camping car signs everywhere.

I hate to say it but there are more and more appearing here in southern France as well.
Not been back to Portugal since the new laws came in but there are plenty of Aires and away from the Algarve most are free or only 4 or 5 Euro a night.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Obviously not eating in the right places.

Out of all the countries we’ve visited, the most underwhelming country for food has been France……maybe we’ve not been eating in the right places. :ROFLMAO:
UK is a pita in a motorhome but the food is right up there with anywhere in Europe, in fact Uk food is about the only thing I miss, the Spanish version of Jalfrezi and Naan Bread is just not the same :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have to say, the roads in Cornwall and indeed many parts of UK are just not geared for motorhomes. As Lenny states, save yourselves the bother and get over to France. Truly a motorhomers paradise in terms of sites, facilities, aires for stopping as in pull off areas for picnic etc, aires for overnight and roads. It really is on another level.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Oh no it isn't! The only reason the folks north of the Tamar put the cream on first is because they are ashamed of their cream product so cover it up with jam, while the folk in Cornwall are very proud of their real clotted cream, so give it pride of place on top of the jam!! That's right, isn't it Devon Sue ? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
🤣🤣🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back