Motorhomer's Waving (1 Viewer)

mickyb

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
We had our first season last year as motorhomers, changing from tugging after 16yrs. We had hired a couple of motorhomes out in the 90's so we were acustom to waving to fellow friendly motorhomer's on the road when safe to do so of course. If we did miss anyone I appologise, my feble excuse , well I was probably concetrating on the driving or sometimes the glare on the windscreens of oncoming traffic especially on the other carriageway makes it impossible to see whether its occupents are waving or not. Anyway on our 4hr journey during the October half term we headed for our campsite and as usual waved uncountably to other motorhomers i.e. when overtaking or stopping for breaks. On arriving at the site, where we spent a lovely week, there were as expected lots of motorhomes, what we found very strange was that when passing their owners very few of them actually made any attempt to
acknowledge us, most not even returning a "good morning" or "lovely day", my wife looked at me in astonishment, where have all those friendly motorhomer's gone she said?? my 14yr old Daughter piped up & laughed "they must have all gone to different site to us":thumb:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
The first thing the Senior Partner and I noticed when we acquired a MH was The Wave.It took us back almost 50 years to our first Frogeye Sprite. It was a point of honour to wave to another Frogeye, and when flashers came in (No, Jim Lad, I mean of the headlight variety) we all tried to be first with that.

The second thing was the extreme friendliness if MH folk we met at campsites. Connecting to water, hooking up electricity, finding and emptying the cassette, were all shown to us by heplful chaps and chappesses.

The professionals seem eager to help, even when there is nothing in it for them. Of course there will be exceptions, but we customers are not without sins either!!

Finally, there is this site. I've not been a regular user of such thngs, but Jim Lad and his motley crew of Funsters - some more motley than others - are a delight...at least on-line.

Keep The Wave.

Upvote 0

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I drive, her indoors waves. I think its a nice friendly thing to do.
As for friendlyness on campsites some people are great others don't even answer when you speak to them (their loss). Its seems to be the more expensive the outfit the more likely they are to be bad mannered.:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
waving

we always wave and the grandchildren love to wave of course when we are in the car he tells them to wave to motorhomes passing us and they say granda we are not in the motorhome to which he replies oh i forgot lol:Smile:

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2010
Sheffield South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Waving

Being new to Motorhoming in 2005, Ruth my better half did all the waving due to us being LHD. she has even waved to a council Bin Waggon in Lincolnshire after visiting Lakeside.:ROFLMAO: :Doh:to all

Upvote 0

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We love to wave its part of the mh outing, in England we usually get several mh per outing unless its a rally ect. When we travelled to france our arms got very tired as there were mhs everywhere :Smile:

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
waving

Just shows what a friendly lot we are, have to say though i know what the original post meant, wave wave wave all down the road and then when you get to the campsite a lot of those wavers now out of their motorhome turn back into the reserved Englishman.
You`re lucky to make eye contact, funny people aren`t we.
We also own an MX5 and find that some drivers wave and others don`t.

No matter we are wavers and enjoy the community spirit.

Keep waving guys, and don`t forget that smile. ::bigsmile:

Rob and Chris.

Upvote 0

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
We also own an MX5 and find that some drivers wave and others don`t.

Rob and Chris.

Snap!

I still wave when in the MH but I've just about given up waving at other 5s!
I get the best of both worlds when towing it, though. Had some honks and waves off 5ers when they're overtaking me!

Upvote 0

Dave G

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Waving

We always try to wave - always surprised by who waves back & who doesn't. Normally turns into a sweepstake trying to guess if we'll get a wave back or not. It's only a bit of fun a:welcomefunster:fter all........

Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I wave on the motorcycles as well, rather than the cusory nod that is becoming the norm. In the USA they use a downward "V" with the left hand and on the continent will stick a foot out ::bigsmile:. Coming from the Goldwing scene, I still tend to give the hand wave.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
my self and the hubby not only give a friendly wave to our fellow motorhomers but as they approach it has become custommary to yell caaaaaaaaaaammmpppeeeeeeeeeerrrrr. even the horsebox now gets a oh neigh oh neigh oh neigh. i will leave it to your imagination as to how the white van man is greeted.

Upvote 0

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I wave on the motorcycles as well, rather than the cusory nod that is becoming the norm. In the USA they use a downward "V" with the left hand and on the continent will stick a foot out ::bigsmile:. Coming from the Goldwing scene, I still tend to give the hand wave.:Smile:

I tend to give motorcycles a kind of wave, well actually its a kind of wiggle of my wrist :Blush:
Especially when they are driving like idiots (As is usual) :roflmto::roflmto:

"Ducking now!" :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I tend to give motorcycles a kind of wave, well actually its a kind of wiggle of my wrist :Blush:
Especially when they are driving like idiots (As is usual) :roflmto::roflmto:

"Ducking now!" :ROFLMAO:

I used to let on to bikes, but as I havent got one now I cant, we always let on to motorhomes though,dont care if they wave back. have just received my two motorhomefun.com stickers from Jim so I may get a few more waves.

john

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
acknowledge us, most not even returning a "good morning" or "lovely day", my wife looked at me in astonishment, where have all those friendly motorhomer's gone she said?? my 14yr old Daughter piped up & laughed "they must have all gone to different site to us":thumb:

Hi Micky,

If I read this correctly whilst you don't say you got waves back you obviously did. The problem you are talking about is what happened when you got to a site. No one seemed interested in you and all that politeness seemed to have disappeared.

I agree, I have found the only way to get something out of people is to go up and talk to them. Being a gregarious person it is part of my nature to do this anyway, so I always end up having great chats.

We also have lots of waves returned. Eleanor - my Daughter for those who don't know - sits in the front and enjoys waving the funsters hand and getting waves in return.

The funny thing is when I am in the RV with Meg our dog and she sits in the front with me in the right hand seat. I wave at others and they just stare at Meg and wonder how she could be driving! Really funny to see the expressions on their faces. Like they have never seen a left hand drive vehicle before.

Regards

Chris

Upvote 0

kenanpat

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Thing is it's not always easy to see whether the "waved at" motorhomer waves back. particularly (as someone pointed out) across 4 or 5 lanes of motorway. It can also be difficult to even see the driver on some A Class vans as some of them seem to be sitting about half way back the van compared with us "ordinary" Peugot / Fiat types.
Still no matter, we will always keep up the waving (in a safe & courteous manner of course) in the hope that the world WILL become a better place.:Cool:

Upvote 0

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
we always wave to all m/homes that pass us, we even been known to wave to "Loomas Vans" well they look like a m/h when they come towards us had some very puizzled security gaurds:Sad:, we had a police car franticaly waving to us in Fort William, we thought he wanted us to stop, he then went on to tell us that HE had m/h.
When we're in the car we still wave to m/h they either know we have a m/h or they think we're mad.
Ray n Geri

Upvote 0

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Phew, Finally got here after 7 pages of postings. :thumb:

Now when we wave the persons in the other MH don't :Sad: and when they wave we don't then fall about laughing :ROFLMAO: because we have normally had a little 'bet' if the 'next ' MH will or not.

What would help would to buy one of those BIG yellow sponge hands :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The problem we find particularly with other A class American MH is seeing the driver & passenger because the front seats are so far back inside the vehicle.

How about ALL MH owners buying these to wave, £9.95 a pair?
Link Removed

just found the web site http://www.teambuildingshop.com/acatalog/Special_Easter_Offers.html?gclid=COOTyN-vtZ8CFRxk4wod_nfizQ following Google search. :thumb:

Mick

Upvote 0

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Remember the AA man?

All this talk of waving has triggred a memory from my childhood in the '50s.

We were a member of the AA breakdown. In those days the AA breakdown men rode around on a motorcycle and sidecar. Each time they passed a car with the yellow enamelled AA badge on the radiator grill, they would give the driver a full salute.

Brilliant !!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mickyb

mickyb

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks for the all the waves received on the posts we shall cherish them all !!! I was trying to get across the point in general that we were surprised that when actually staying on a campsite how many motorhomers ignore you when you talk face to face, we always give a friendly "GOOD DAY" or remark on the days weather just to be polite, this could be when we are on the way out for the day or when just walking around the site. just seems a bit hypocritical after being waved too so many times while on the road, sorry for not making myself clear first time but A big thank you to all that have replied though:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back