Motorhomers Slated in Scottish Mail on Sunday (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Tried to find article so I could post a link for your enlightenment and comment. An article by Jane Simpson in todays Mail on Sunday Scottish edition paints a very negative view of motorhomers, Sub titled "Amid claims they ruin the scenery and stifle the economy" main title "Islanders declare war on the van-dals ".

From just one paragraph "Islanders argue that tourists in mobile homes destroy the beauty of the scenery by parking in inappropriate places, allowing their tyres tochurn up the ground and cause pollution with their chemical toilets.
They also claim such visitors do nothing to boost the local economy as they generally bring their own accommodation and food meaning no income for B&B's or restaurants"

Its quite a big article so if someone can find and post a link it may be of interest to those thinking of visiting the western Isles. Basically it implies we are not welcome and should stay away unless you pay £10 or more for a croft site with no water, ehu waste or toilet disposal facilities. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

And here's me thinking tourism was an important mainstay in many of the Western Isles economies.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I have just watched the caravan channel show on sky (yes I am sad I know) and it was from the huge caravan and motorhome show in Dusseldorf and one of the halls is dedicated to all the tourist boards of Europe and the World promoting their countries to entice people to visit them for a holiday in a caravan / motorhome , the major absentee from this self promotion was Britain ( the presenter had a right old moan about this and so he should ) . Why is this country so anti motorhomes ??? surely the economy needs all the help it can get
think_smiley_16.gif

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
we spent 10days on the outer hebrides 3 years ago and loved it, we did take stuff with us but spent a lot of money in the local community. Stopping at cafes and restaurants just about every day we also played on 2 golf courses so im sure they made money out of us. I would love to go back and i dont mind paying to stay the night but £10 for just a field to park in is a bit much.

I would recommend it to anyone as a must do trip though awesome place

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dc6947

Free Member
Aug 25, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
converted ducato
Exp
United Kingdom
Yeah motorhomers bring noooo money to the local economy even when they wildcamp...

... they never buy a meal out when on holiday and prefer to hole up 24/7 in their van eating supplies of noodles and fray bentos pies which they bought before they came

... they never have to refuel at any point and wouldn't consider using local petrol stations

... they never ever do tourist things, visit attractions or anything like that

... and they wouldn't dream of buying souvenirs of their visit or sending a postcard home

... and you'd NEVER catch them recommending the great places they visited to all their family members, who may go online and book breaks in the B&B's/Hotels because they don't have motorhomes

I think it's sour grapes personally and a lot of shortsightedness / greed / idiocy.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Yeah motorhomers bring noooo money to the local economy even when they wildcamp...

... they never buy a meal out when on holiday and prefer to hole up 24/7 in their van eating supplies of noodles and fray bentos pies which they bought before they came

... they never have to refuel at any point and wouldn't consider using local petrol stations

... they never ever do tourist things, visit attractions or anything like that

... and they wouldn't dream of buying souvenirs of their visit or sending a postcard home

... and you'd NEVER catch them recommending the great places they visited to all their family members, who may go online and book breaks in the B&B's/Hotels because they don't have motorhomes

I think it's sour grapes personally and a lot of shortsightedness / greed / idiocy.

And we're all tee total so the locals a no no :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There was a thread about this some time ago.. same story .. and same objection to paying to camp.

Basically it implies we are not welcome and should stay away unless you pay £10 or more for a croft site with no water, ehu waste or toilet disposal facilities. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

And here's me thinking tourism was an important mainstay in many of the Western Isles economies.
Isn't this a contradiction ?

You object to paying £10 .. so assume to want to free camp.. How does this benefit the islanders or endear them to motorhomes ?

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Tried to find article so I could post a link for your enlightenment and comment. An article by Jane Simpson in todays Mail on Sunday Scottish edition paints a very negative view of motorhomers, Sub titled "Amid claims they ruin the scenery and stifle the economy" main title "Islanders declare war on the van-dals ".

From just one paragraph "Islanders argue that tourists in mobile homes destroy the beauty of the scenery by parking in inappropriate places, allowing their tyres tochurn up the ground and cause pollution with their chemical toilets.
They also claim such visitors do nothing to boost the local economy as they generally bring their own accommodation and food meaning no income for B&B's or restaurants"

Its quite a big article so if someone can find and post a link it may be of interest to those thinking of visiting the western Isles. Basically it implies we are not welcome and should stay away unless you pay £10 or more for a croft site with no water, ehu waste or toilet disposal facilities. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

Just a thought, "Am I the only Funster who does not read the Daily or Sunday Mail?"

Norman

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We recently visited the Highlands and Skye , we paid to stay on camp sites, bought food , drink, fuel, souvenirs and had some meals out locally. The sites we stayed on were busy, probably with tourists similar to us and spending their Groats as we did. Other than one little hitler C&CClub warden on Skye we were made to feel very welcome.
This is probably a bit of over dramatised reporting by the Mail based on one or two moaning old scroats :shout:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I have never yet free-camped and have no objection whatsoever to paying for a pitch. However last year we rented a cottage on Tiree and I checked out and photographed every so called croft site.

Some would present a 4x4 with problems, others were quite frankly unsuitable for motorhomes of any size. None had access to any services whatsover, nearest toilet disposal is at Scarinish which could be a good drive from some sites on narrow single track roads.

My point in raising this post was to warn others to the fact that other islands are following Tiree's example,(Link Removed) the article implies motorhomers are not welcome which I fiind very objectionable and where in my post I raised any objection to paying to camp completely defeats me"

This will be my last post on this thread, now wishing I hadn't bothered in the first place

There was a thread about this some time ago.. same story .. and same objection to paying to camp.

Isn't this a contradiction ?

You object to paying £10 .. so assume to want to free camp.. How does this benefit the islanders or endear them to motorhomes ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
My point in raising this post was to warn others to the fact that other islands are following Tiree's example,(Link Removed) the article implies motorhomers are not welcome which I fiind very objectionable and where in my post I raised any objection to paying to camp completely defeats me"
(snip)

How does the article imply that motorhomers are not welcome? All it says is that we/they must act legally. What is unreasonable about that?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

I visited the Western Isles after the last major press article, and found that the locals welcomed me and my van. Most these articles are page fillers when there is no news to fill the paper.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have just watched the caravan channel show on sky (yes I am sad I know) and it was from the huge caravan and motorhome show in Dusseldorf and one of the halls is dedicated to all the tourist boards of Europe and the World promoting their countries to entice people to visit them for a holiday in a caravan / motorhome , the major absentee from this self promotion was Britain ( the presenter had a right old moan about this and so he should ) .[HI] Why is this country so anti motorhomes [/HI]??? surely the economy needs all the help it can get
think_smiley_16.gif

Turn this question around.... Why have motorhomers made themselves so unwelcome and not just in the Western Isles..

The UK mainland, NZ, Australia, and USA motorhomers have been in the news for all the worst reasons.. so there is no point in looking for a problem with the general population when the problem is with irresponsible motorhomers..

ALL of these places welcome responsible motorhomes .. but there is a minority who have spoiled the image and reputation, so now they are all tarred by the same brush.. .. one bad apple is all it takes and I've seen more than my share fair of bad apples..

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As i said earlier we tourd the isle a few years back and did spend money there, its the same when we use Aire's in France because we save money on site fees so we tend to do stuff in the local area. If we dont keep the place tidy and use some of the local facilities aswell as respecting the natives we will loose these places

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
same here never read it, or any paper

No Norman... you are not...

...But I know what you mean...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Same here, never read it or for that matter any paper.. use the internet to get the news, or tv... papers just hype up the stories, mind you BBC news and Sky are just as bad.. get there teeth in to a story and it runs and runs for ever.. how many presenters do you need or reporters to tell one story... 18 minutes then the head lines and the same story for the headlines...

After the N of the W issues.. I would not waste my money or enrich the paper companies.

As for Scottish Islands??? well never visited them, so cannot say... But like others I spend a lot of money on fuel for my RV at local stations wherever I am.. staying in a pub car park we eat in the pub and if parked more than one night buy a drink.. I do not drink 24 hours before I drive...same at shows no booze after Saturday night.. but I make sure I do spend money in the places we visit..it could be a local shop, or as said a fuel station... Just sounds a bit like sour grapes to me...

As for the C&CC Larry mentioned.. only belong these days to get my ferry discount (train) and to get the Carnet issued.. stopped staying at there sites.. wardens do not want yanks visiting them.. so I spend my money were I am welcome.

Bob:Eeek:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
We find campsites are usually too far from local amenities. So we are stranded on a field and unable to spend, spend, spend.

The cheaper sites have no amenities, and since we have everything on board, why pay for showers and toilets if we are not using them. We use sites if we need to re-water. I carry a Radar key for the disabled toilets so we can empty and clean up after ourselves without upsetting any other patrons.

The larger, more expensive sites are ok if we have children onboard and for a holiday. But the clubhouses are children oriented and boring for us.

So we prefer to wildcamp when we are just 'us 2'.

We can then walk to the local amenities and have a nice meal and a little drink and wander back to our cosy beds.

We can visit the local shops for supplies for on the journey, or just to pick up a few bargains that are probably available at home, but much more attractive when away from home.

We are members of the National Trust, we haven't visited any sites for ages but still subscribe for when we do want to visit, so we are supporting our National Treasures.

We are pariahs should we stop Motorhoming?

June

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Just a thought, "Am I the only Funster who does not read the Daily or Sunday Mail?"

Norman

I read quite a lot of the Daily / Sunday Mail on MH Fun :Sad:
::bigsmile::Doh:

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As for Scottish Islands??? well never visited them, [HI]so cannot say... [/HI]
(snip)

... Just sounds a bit like sour grapes to me...

until you visit .... you cannot say. Absolutely correct .

This issue has come about by the inconsiderate campers who think they can do as they like, visit, free camp, churn up delicate foreshore vegetation, dump toilets and think they have a right to do so, then don't understand when the residents get irate .

The authorities have made facilities, overnight stopping places and will control numbers on and off the island ... If it were sour grapes they could simply ban all camper vans ... as has happened on other abused beauty spots in England.

It's sour grapes to object to sensible controls being put in place ...

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I have never yet free-camped and have no objection whatsoever to paying for a pitch. However last year we rented a cottage on Tiree and I checked out and photographed every so called croft site.

Some would present a 4x4 with problems, others were quite frankly unsuitable for motorhomes of any size. None had access to any services whatsover, nearest toilet disposal is at Scarinish which could be a good drive from some sites on narrow single track roads.

This will be my last post on this thread, now wishing I hadn't bothered in the first place
sorry you feel this way i know some times people can post not thinking how it can make others feel hope you feel better about things soon

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Same here, never read it or for that matter any paper.. use the internet to get the news, or tv... papers just hype up the stories, mind you BBC news and Sky are just as bad.. get there teeth in to a story and it runs and runs for ever.. how many presenters do you need or reporters to tell one story... 18 minutes then the head lines and the same story for the headlines...

After the N of the W issues.. I would not waste my money or enrich the paper companies.

As for Scottish Islands??? well never visited them, so cannot say... But like others I spend a lot of money on fuel for my RV at local stations wherever I am.. staying in a pub car park we eat in the pub and if parked more than one night buy a drink.. I do not drink 24 hours before I drive...same at shows no booze after Saturday night.. but I make sure I do spend money in the places we visit..it could be a local shop, or as said a fuel station... Just sounds a bit like sour grapes to me...

As for the C&CC Larry mentioned.. only belong these days to get my ferry discount (train) and to get the Carnet issued.. stopped staying at there sites.. wardens do not want yanks visiting them.. so I spend my money were I am welcome.

I agree with you BOB having an rv we find we are not welcome at these sites

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I agree with you BOB having an rv we find we are not welcome at these sites

Can only speak as I find, and I have never had a bad experience at a CC site, I greet them with a smile and its always been returned.

Ian

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
We spent nearly three weeks on the western isles earlier this year.
Everyone we met was welcoming and friendly. We wild camped all the time and had many chats with locals about wild camping and never heard a bad word about motorhomes.
Many times, too many to count, especially on Bara, locals raised a hand a waved at us as we passed.
On bara and the uist's we saw very few other motorhomes. In fact on bara there was only four of us (you just go round and round and round and see the same motorhomes and cars). Only on harris and lewis did we see large numbers of motorhomes.
We were invited to the blessing of the boats on bara, a scottish dance night, a meal out, had help finding montys cottage - by lovely people who had no problem with motorhomes. One old guy was driving towards us on bernaray and waved us down, we pulled up and wound down the window not knowing what he wanted. Through his window he said "hi, how are things, are you enjoyng your holiday....." and we hadca chat, in the middle of the road, window to window.
And above all, we spent a bloody fortune on the isles.

The bad press is just papers printing stories to make sales.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
. Why is this country so anti motorhomes ??? surely the economy needs all the help it can get
think_smiley_16.gif

Perhaps it's because a small minority of motorhomers do believe that they are entitled to camp anywhere they like, be as untidy as they like and dump waste products of all kind wherever they choose.

It's a sad day for all of the rest of us when non motorhomers turn against us.

I've seen waste water dumped in the road, laybys and on verges and I've seen toilets emptied under hedges. What did I do - nothing - as I'm in the mid 70s and wish to live happily for many more years to come.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back