Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pulled into the CL earlier and noted that both caravans have their EHU cable coiled underneath their van. I wanted to say something but didn't want to create an uncomfortable atmosphere as I am here for 2 weeks and by the looks of things so are they.
Why not have a word with the CL owner instead ... I'm sure he/she won't want to have to 'deal' with a fire so would probably be willing to advise them!

Edited to say .... CHICKEN!!!!!! :xrofl:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
This photo from Electrical contractor.net shows what happens if the cable is left coiled and enough current is drawn through it.

Usually neatly tucked under the van !!

Coiled_1.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've put a like on because of the warning and illustration of what can happen - not because I like the result.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Pulled into the CL earlier and noted that both caravans have their EHU cable coiled underneath their van. I wanted to say something but didn't want to create an uncomfortable atmosphere as I am here for 2 weeks and by the looks of things so are they.
I've been surprised reading this thread. We caravanned for over 20 years and this is one of the first bits of advice we were given.
Grommit you're on a cl which means they're in the cc too - should think they'll be used to being told what they can/can't/shouldn't do:giggler:
...and yes we are members too:winky:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
sorry, but you are confusing the two gasses

Carbon Monoxide CO , a product of combustion when not enough oxygen is present .. is the silent killer..

Carbon Dioxide.. CO2 .. a naturally occurring gas that plants convert into oxygen , soluble in water, used to carbonate soft drinks.. and many other uses...
I stand corrected. I think you get my point about the fire and CO alarms though.
Phil

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My dad (an electronics and avionics engineer) laughed when he saw me unrolling mine.. said the power you would need to draw through decent cable was significantly more than a caravan (in the days before I saw sense) could possibly pull..

I've ignored him and always unroll anyway but still feel a little silly doing it..
I melted my workshop cable reel when using a heavy continuous load and was really hot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I remember the old electric fires you used to call one, two, or three bars. They ran a current through a tightly coiled wire that glowed red and gave off the heat, much different to a supply cable to your MoHo but you get the idea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back