motorhome (1 Viewer)

sniperfox36

Free Member
Oct 9, 2009
Funster No
can any one tell me whats the law parking a motorhome on the street, where you live:Smile:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I doubt it but they will all have a go and what's it got to do with continental touring.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
can any one tell me whats the law parking a motorhome on the street, where you live:Smile:

Hi sniperfox, as far as I am aware, your motorhome is subject to the same parking rules as a car and not a caravan. I assume that as long as it is taxed and it is legal to park outside your house, then you will be OK .....But it is probably best to get some legal advice from someone who is aware of your location and its local laws etc.

I will apologise for Ralph Dot above, the vast majority of Funsters are not as rude or abrubt as you will no doubt discover. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
you really need to ask your local council as although there are Country laws ie those that apply to all roads in England as an example, there are also local laws.

To give an example, when the Parking Zone was in force within the road I live in, the ruling stated that the maximum length a vehicle could be legally parked within the parking zone was eg. 18ft. The parking wardens could ticket any vehicle even if valid permits were displayed or if it had a disabled badge if it was parked within the zone purely because it was over the permitted length. They could also tow the vehicle.

We have been looking at longer motorhomes however rumour has it our parking zone is likely to be reinstated and therefore we are restricted on length as we need to stay inside the regulations because there is nowhere off road to put it. (there are ways to get permission to do these, but they can be lengthy and costly).

No wires can run either across the pavement or overhead legally so technically you cant plug your motorhome into your house electric socket if the wire is going to run either over or on the road or pavement (providing the road or pavement is classified as public highway).

When you get a response from the Council ask them to state the legislation, bye laws etc that cover it, because this may be important in the future for you. Keep their reply very safe

Wish I could have given you a definitive answer but there isnt one.

As an example, some boroughs will allow a large motorhome to take up two parking spaces providing two parking tickets are purchased, whereas in other boroughs if you did the same thing, you would be in breach and get a fine

Last edited:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

Funny you should ask that question as only last week I was very firmly put in my place by the local constabulary. My motorhome was parked on the road, in a marked parking space, no restrictions at all, perfectly legal. taxed, MOT'd and Insured.

A passing motorist complained, they thought it was it was too wide and should not be parked in the space. Local constable was called and he quite firmly put me in my place.

"ANY VEHICLE PARKED ANYWHERE is TECHNICALLY CAUSING an OBSTRUCTION and the DRIVER can be PROSECUTED"

Apparantly there is NO right to park anywhere on the Highway, any parking spaces are a concession but not a right. PUT ME IN MY PLACE.

Thought you might fing this interesting.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Funny you should ask that question as only last week I was very firmly put in my place by the local constabulary. My motorhome was parked on the road, in a marked parking space, no restrictions at all, perfectly legal. taxed, MOT'd and Insured.

A passing motorist complained, they thought it was it was too wide and should not be parked in the space. Local constable was called and he quite firmly put me in my place.

"ANY VEHICLE PARKED ANYWHERE is TECHNICALLY CAUSING an OBSTRUCTION and the DRIVER can be PROSECUTED"

Apparantly there is NO right to park anywhere on the Highway, any parking spaces are a concession but not a right. PUT ME IN MY PLACE.

Thought you might fing this interesting.

That is the case :Sad:, but perhaps not if you have payed, i.e. a meter or a permit?

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I know the van must face in the direction of the flow of traffic at night so it's reflectors are red to oncoming traffic and you must have lights on it at night IF over 3¬5 tonnes and not in a 30 mph zone.:thumb::thumb:I was parked outside a friends house for a few days with my van 4600 killos and 27 feet long, a nosey neighbour called the police and complained about the hook up cable I had attatched for a few hours because of a flat battery, the neighbor stated she was concerned for children getting electrocuted, not the van being there, the Police were very good and asked me to remove the cable as soon as possible and of course that was my intention, I asked the Police what they thought of me parking as I was and they said no problem,I stayed two further nights with no problem, that was at Worthing.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
That is the case :Sad:, but perhaps not if you have payed, i.e. a meter or a permit?

Payments for parking permits, meters etc are still actually a concession.

What the officer states was both true and the officer was quite exacting in what he stated however, there is the LAW and the law (its difficult to explain)

By law however the proof of obstruction is on the prosecutor - and it is usually quite difficult to prove as there are different levels and interpretations, however

AS A RULE OF THUMB for MOTORHOMERS (and this is quite unofficial) relating to road obstruction

if a fire engine can get passed speedily without mounting the opposite kerb or hitting parked adjacent vehicles, as long as you are not parked dangerously ie near a bend corner, blocking fire hydrant, gulley flow etc, you would have good evidence that you had parked sensibly and considerately ensuring that no reasonable obstruction was caused - at the time you parked the vehicle xxx

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's an interesting question. There is a guy in our town who has an Autotrail Arapaho, I think he's trying to sell it, and keeps parking it in different places, as if he's been moved on. So far I have seen it parked up in over 6 locations inn the last 6 months, one place was just outside of town in a lay-by. Currently it's parked in the lorry park down by the harbour.

Thre is another van near us that is always parked on the road, albeit in a turning area, but on the road nonetheless.

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back