Free Member
May 6, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2011
I'm about to go on my first trip in a Hymer B544 SL (2008). I picked it up on Tuesday and most of the time since then has been spent learning and cleaning.
My big mistake seems to have been sterilising the water system and worse still using the drain tap to empty the tank.
I can't get the drain fully closed. Has anyone come across this before? and how can I get round this?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It may be blocked with a bit of crud. Not unknown when descaling boilers as well. You could try putting a hose in the filler, opening the drain tap fully and try and flush it out.

If you can't get it closed it may not be a big job to replace it, depending on access of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
Another option is open drain and back flush in the hope of dislodging the crud.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are talking about the drain tap on the tank operated by the wheel on top of the tank they have 2 positions.
You turn it until it stops this then leaves 20Lt in the tank (traveling allowance) then you have to give it a hard turn and it will clunk past this position to fully drain.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
If you are talking about the drain tap on the tank operated by the wheel on top of the tank they have 2 positions.
You turn it until it stops this then leaves 20Lt in the tank (traveling allowance) then you have to give it a hard turn and it will clunk past this position to fully drain.
Unless it's come undone.! Ours did and would not shut off. The lock nut had come loose. Good fun trying to get lock nut tight again with one hand and a pair of pipe grips in the tank!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Unless it's come undone.! Ours did and would not shut off. The lock nut had come loose. Good fun trying to get lock nut tight again with one hand and a pair of pipe grips in the tank!!!
Our last van if you were over zealous with the knob the operating rod would pop out of the centre joint. That was fun bowing the top of the tank to get back in without dismantling the complete assembly.

OP
OP
R

RonR

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for all the advice. Doesn't look like I'll get a lot of rest this trip.
I'll let you know if and when the tank is water tight again.

OP
OP
R

RonR

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2011
I've been reading all the posts again.
Lenny, it is the drain with the little wheel on top of the tank.
I did give it the extra turn and emptied the tank.
I thought I had closed the thing but perhaps it is stuck at 20l.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Ind
Our last van if you were over zealous with the knob the operating rod would pop out of the centre joint. That was fun bowing the top of the tank to get back in without dismantling the complete assembly.
Indeed. One of the barbeque legs used to force the tank top down !!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've been reading all the posts again.
Lenny, it is the drain with the little wheel on top of the tank.
I did give it the extra turn and emptied the tank.
I thought I had closed the thing but perhaps it is stuck at 20l.
Taken a couple of pics for you, one in the closed position and one open. In the 20Lt position it looks the same as closed. The white plug is hollow and I think in the 20Lt position excess water flows down through the plug and there is another valve inside it. From underneath the van when fully closed you will see 2 white prongs sticking down in the 20lt position they are half retracted and fully retracted when fully open.

closed.jpg

Open.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back