Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Good morning all trust everyone had a fantastic weekend, I have a couple of questions if any advise can be offered please

We currently use a MIFI for web browsing both here and by changing the sim in France to be fair works quite well,

1) A thread over the weekend referred to the FON network which from what I read is a device that shares your router offering a small hotspot. In doing this you are given access to the whole FON network. Has any one used it ? how well does it work here and abroad ? is there any other charges apart from buying the module ?

2) Motorhome WIFI, if I added this to my van whats the general view good coverage or not ? is the unit easy to set up ?

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Hi, Yes I have a BT account and it give access to FON or BT WIFI hotspots when you are out and about.
BT can use a designated part of your home router for out side use.
The outside use is a separate signal and does not affect your indoor bandwidth use.
I used it in France ok.
You will need a wifi booster aerial to pull the signals in :thumb:
Not much use in deserted areas though.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Hi, Yes I have a BT account and it give access to FON or BT WIFI hotspots when you are out and about.
BT can use a designated part of your home router for out side use.
The outside use is a separate signal and does not affect your indoor bandwidth use.
I used it in France ok.
You will need a wifi booster aerial to pull the signals in :thumb:
Not much use in deserted areas though.

I have the same set up and it works well anywhere there is a wifi signal. If no signal then satellite is the way to go. Prices are now much better.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have had a FON box for a long time..
Installed on my Orange broadband at home and I get access to BT/FON sites...
Yes, just buy one. Fit at home and thats it..
Great in UK but abroad almost forget it... Have had a few connections but give up now even trying to find them in France and Spain..

Motorhome WIFI... Good kit, little pricey but good backup... I have not used one.
Now mainly take ipad and connect with the MIFI or teather my mobile...

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I am using an i boost with my bt customer login now.
Just got the i boost yesterday & so far I'm impressed, have to wait till next month to see how well it works in france.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I have also had a FON unit connected to my Zen network at home. Gives me access in quite a few countries.

The challenge with France is that there are very few open hotspots, FON should work on the SFR WiFi hotspots but it is difficult.

I believe if you get a prepaid SFR subscription you can also access their WiFi hotspots for some of the payment options but have not tried it! See here for the unlimited WiFi options.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Is this a alternative for internet all over access--?
http://sat.tooway.co.uk/

Looks like you could pay a normal sub and set it up for home use ,then unplug it and take it in the MH .
Using a portable sat dish and sat finder , you could have guaranteed internet wherever you go---

Don`t know if would work , the MHF boffins will do though:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
This sounds quite promising although I don't know for certain. One point to bear in mind is that the satellite you need is not the same as for TV.

Re BTFon, its great in principle but in my experience a bit limited in practice. A great many of the hotspots are in peoples homes, so to access them whilst out and about do you really fancy driving around housing estates and parking a motorhome outside a random house to take advantage of the hotspot?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We are BT Customers so get free acess to Fon, and this week end we used it frequently while on the Fun meet at Stratford upon Avon with no problems.

We use BT Fon or Open zone when we can and back it up with a 3 mifi.
between to two we seem to manage quite well.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Fon is becomming quite widely available now in France. In 3 aires we stayed in I found SFRWIFIFON. The login page allows youto change your ISP from SFR to FONTERA, which then allows you to login with your BT/FON login details

Malcolm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back