Motorhome wi fi (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Has anyone experienced 'motorhome wifi' using their window mounted antenna system , how good is it ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm using one of their window mount, driectional wifi areals now. It works OK (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am very happy with mine, although I am about to upgrade the internals of the system a bit.

It has given me solid reliable internet access in plenty of locations where I wouldn't have stood a change otherwise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I use mine a lot though normally stick it through the sunroof to get that extra bit of height. The best so far is a mile across a valley onto BT FON. Trees will dramatically reduce the range.
I got my MiFi aerial from Amazon, exactly the same product but about 1/2 price

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
First thing I set up when I park, through the rooflight and scan to find a signal, then all set for pc, tablet and phone. No problems generally.

Cheers
Bill

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
i bought one. works fine in house but have not got it working at any site so far! must be doing something wrong? its an iboost

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
i bought one. works fine in house but have not got it working at any site so far! must be doing something wrong? its an iboost
The problem is that most campsites are well away from towns and dense habitation.
You need houses around with wi-fi being propagated (is that the right word?) so that you can link to their router or site wi-fi that you may have to pay for.
Even if you can pick up the signal from someones router it needs to be fairly strong and you need to be able to connect via Fon or similar.
I have found that our iBoost doesn't get used very often for those reasons.

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Identical antenna here at just over half the cost ... the Motorhome Wifi one appears to just be a re-badged one of these:

Broken Link Removed

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Identical antenna here at just over half the cost ... the Motorhome Wifi one appears to just be a re-badged one of these:

Broken Link Removed
Two different antennas.
The one @paul rimmer was referring to and I answered is a Wi-fi iBoost.
@Minxy Girl's link is referring to a mi-fi antenna.

Just to clear up any confusion on what can be a confusing topic for some. :xgrin:
:xThumb:

Richard

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Oh, following on from my reply above.......
...I'm sure that @Minxy Girl is correct in saying the Motorhome Wi-Fi antenna is a rebadged version.
Sometimes though, when buying something that you know little about it feels safer to go to a company that you trust to get a package made for the job.
Motorhome Wi-Fi give an excellent service and you know that you can call them for advice if things don't quite work out.

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Two different antennas.
The one @paul rimmer was referring to and I answered is a Wi-fi iBoost.
@Minxy Girl's link is referring to a mi-fi antenna.

Just to clear up any confusion on what can be a confusing topic for some. :xgrin:
:xThumb:

Richard
The op did say window mounted antenna system, not Wi-fi iBoost ... and Jim then mentioned their directional aerial ... I still think the antenna is a re-badged version of the one I found though!:moon2::whistle2::wink:

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The op did say window mounted antenna system, not Wi-fi iBoost ... and Jim then mentioned their directional aerial ... I still think the antenna is a re-badged version of the one I found though!:moon2::whistle2::wink:
You are quite correct @Minxy Girl (y)

Apologies, I came back into the thread where there was a question about iBoost. I didn't go back to the start so didn't look at the original post.

Richard.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Motorhome wifi not all that helpful. I wanted to change tge name of mine so sites would not know i was using an i boost.
They refused to tell me how!
Reason, if it shows as i boost sites know you have only paid once but may have more than one pooter linked.
Very unhelpful!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm not being funny, but can someone tell me why this is a better way to connect to the internet than buying a cheap MIFI and data sim? The cost of the iBoost system is quite high compared to what the alternative methods costs nowadays.

This time I AM talking about the iBoost system ... not just the antenna :D

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Warning, technological ignoramus about to ask simple questions...... I'm not thick just have absolutely no interest in gadgets beyond making them do the minimum of what I want them to do..... ;)

With great regret, I still have to work for someone else for a living, so the van gets used for max 5 weeks of the year plus some weekends. Internet requirements are simple - it's handy to be able to check the BBC weather forecast, check the opening times of local attractions, read the news maybe - nothing beyond that, no data hungry requirements like streaming. We already had an iPad (the non-Sim card wifi only type), we quite like going to minimalist sites that definitely don't have wifi, so I bought one of these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-E5...276995?hash=item2a76b62d03:g:5lQAAOSwG-1Wxs~C

Generally, it does the job. Minxy Girl put up a very handy link to a 3 Sim card deal recently that I grabbed, the big attraction being the credit lasts for 2 years after activation, SO annoying that otherwise whatever you put on a card expires after 30 days, when you only want to use it for 1 weekend!

So that's the pre-amble. Am I right in understanding:-

This is some sort of gizmo to boost to enable a personal MiFi router like mine (*) to pick up a fainter 3G/4G mobile signal?https://www.scan.co.uk/products/net...FI1Cdb3JnY2zDTjctLmrRQLQB-5bG5-U2pBoCg-nw_wcB
* BUT - it has to plug into the router, so presumably needs a posher one than my little Huawei to work with, as that only has a micro USB connection?

And....

An IBoost is some kind of gizmo for picking up faint wifi signals from the campsite wifi or other public access hotspots, and it fools the wifi into thinking only one device is connected whereas it actually turns the signal into a sneaky mifi hotspot for all the gizmos in your van?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm not being funny, but can someone tell me why this is a better way to connect to the internet than buying a cheap MIFI and data sim? The cost of the iBoost system is quite high compared to what the alternative methods costs nowadays.

With a MIFI you keep paying. For instance you pay £50 for the Mifi Box, Then every X months you have to buy a data top up.

WIth the iBoost system you get unlimited data and don't keep paying for connection. When I am on Mifi I go through 7-10GB a week so you can soon see the cost adds up over the year. The iBoost system I bought 5 years ago or so and not paid a penny more since then. I went 5 months this year and 6 months last year without buying any data for my mifi....

The iBoost has more than paid for itself many many times over.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Must admit I'm only part way up the learning curve on this, here is their advertising blurb -

"The iBoost is a totally self contained wireless booster system from Motorhome WiFi. It allows you to both connect to and enhance the strength of an external wireless hotspot while re-broadcasting that connection through a secure private network internally. This seamless integration allows you to connect and share the connection between multiple devices at the same time.

The iBoost is controlled by a simple, easy to use web based interface which means it will work just as well with an iPad, Android Tablet or Smartphone as it will with a regular PC, Apple Mac or Linux based computer."

"There are no drivers or software to install, no CD’s or downloads required to make the system work. Just plug it in, turn it on and connect just like home.

Once connected simply point your browser to the iBoost’s fixed address and within a few seconds you’ll be scanning for available WiFi hotspots in your area. Once selected, they are instantly repeated at full strength inside your van. Even if you have only been given one pass code for the network (such as a camp site) you can still share the connection with as many devices as you choose. You could even charge your neighbour for access to what is now your own personal hotspot! The iBoost remembers its settings for next time, so you can power the system on and off as many times as is required until the next location."

"The Personal Hotspot can be powered by either a 12v Cigarette socket within your van or an optional 240v adapter. Once
iBoost-Micro-Router2-608x536.jpg
turned on, this unit create a wireless hotspot inside your vehicle named “iBoost” with a passkey just like your wireless network at home. Just one further connection is required to the external antenna and we supply 5m of white cable for this purpose."

"The iBoost D8 provides a powerful 8dBi antenna coupled to a suction bracket that makes for easy mounting on the side of your vehicle. The unit is totally weatherproof and is perfect for a temporary installation while on a site. The rear of the antennasports a clear LED display which, once associated with a network, allows for fine tuning of the antenna without having to rely totally on a computer screen. The suction bracket allows for a good range of movement through 180 degrees."

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Does it not rely on a signal from somewhere? Like a 'fon' system ?

Yes. Many sites have wifi available free or for a small fee though. Or you could always learn how to hack into other peoples ;)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have been using a iBoost from Motorhome Wi-Fi for the last few years and find it is very limiting. If you are in a built up area with lots of routers around you might be lucky to find one with Fon that you can hook up to. Often you spend ages searching but either find nowt that's unlocked or it's so far away that the signal is crap.
On a site with Wi-fi it's good though, as most only allow connection from one device. With iBoost you have your own internal wi-fi so can link a couple of devices at the same time.

Since we took @Minxy Girl's advice and bought a mi-fi, plus antenna and 3 sim we have wi-fi wherever we go with no messing about. I just leave it plugged into a handy USB socket with the antenna stuck on a side window and connect whenever we want. Excellent connection and speed all through France and Spain. Just like using wi-fi at home......but faster.
Brilliant!

Richard.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
sorry that this is not exactly on thread but if I understand the above posts ( and obviously do not understand how buying the hardware gets me connected without a contract for the data).
- iBoost is a wifi system that brings a stronger signal to the box in the van using external omni or directional aerial?
- the wifi needs to connect to someone's open insecure wifi router to be free?
- do you need a BT or O2 account for FON and O2 wifi?
- a mifi system is a router for multiple device connections (that may use an external ariel but does not have to) and needs a SIM card for data and of course a mobile phone signal?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Almost (y) Still not an expert but I'd suggest some slight changes to two.

sorry that this is not exactly on thread but if I understand the above posts ( and obviously do not understand how buying the hardware gets me connected without a contract for the data).

- iBoost is a wifi system that brings a signal to the box in the van using external aerial and then boosts and re-sends it as your own hot-spot for improved performance in your van and immediate surroundings.
- the wifi needs to connect to someone's open insecure wifi router, or non-chargeable site provided (with or without password) to be free.

Can't comment on O2 but I think you're right about fon.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
- the wifi needs to connect to someone's open insecure wifi router to be free?

There are genuine free WiFi hot spots, McDonald's being the often quoted one. Many town centres offer free WiFi now.

But and it is a BIG BUT, you have no way of knowing if any WiFi is secure or whether it is a scam examining everything you send down line. OK for reading FUN but a bit iffy if you were accessing your bank.

If I need banking I use MiFi on the basis this connects to a legit phone network so less chance of some thief monitoring the data.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
There are genuine free WiFi hot spots, McDonald's being the often quoted one. Many town centres offer free WiFi now.

But and it is a BIG BUT, you have no way of knowing if any WiFi is secure or whether it is a scam examining everything you send down line. OK for reading FUN but a bit iffy if you were accessing your bank.

If I need banking I use MiFi on the basis this connects to a legit phone network so less chance of some thief monitoring the data.
I had noticed the McDonald's one the other week but they seem to want me to give an email so I was wary and did not bother.
I think I will explore the cellular route a bit more. Better in my view to pay and have some control of things

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had noticed the McDonald's one the other week but they seem to want me to give an email so I was wary and did not bother.

An easy way round that, a sacrificial email. derbyshirewscams@gmail.com set up in seconds and you don't even need to check for emails if you don't want.

I think I will explore the cellular route a bit more. Better in my view to pay and have some control of things

I think on the whole cellular is good. Many campsites rip you off on price and everyone starts watching TV on it so it goes slower than a slow thing with the brakes on.

In Beni we bought a local SIM for the MiFi, speed was excellent and it was cheaper than the site WiFi.

Same in Morocco where their cellular is fantastic.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Many phones can be set up as wi-fi hotspots so if you have a data allowance on your phone you can share it with your other peripherals (sim-less ipads etc.).

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Slightly off topic.......
We drive all over France in the most rural and wild places imaginable and always seem to get excellent mobile signals.
Here in Suffolk I have to go upstairs into my study if I want to make sure of an uninterrupted phone call via mobile.
Don't even mention BB speed. (n):eek::eek::eek:

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back