LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have a Motorhome Wi-Fi fitted with one of the small mifi from the same firm and we are using a three sim,
When we stream we get a lot of buffering so checked the speed and came up very slow, yet next to us 20 meters a chap has a three sim in a phone and he can stream with no problems I will get him to do a speed check on his phone.

I have installed the HUAWEI hi link app but it has very little info.
I have also got the three app but cannot access it when I type the number in it asks for a password that I have tried to reset it keeps telling me they have sent a text but I never receive one.

What am I doing wrong ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a Motorhome Wi-Fi fitted with one of the small mifi from the same firm and we are using a three sim,
When we stream we get a lot of buffering so checked the speed and came up very slow, yet next to us 20 meters a chap has a three sim in a phone and he can stream with no problems I will get him to do a speed check on his phone.

I have also got the three app but cannot access it when I type the number in it asks for a password that I have tried to reset it keeps telling me they have sent a text but I never receive one.

What am I doing wrong ?
You need to do a speed test and see what the results are.

The text will be in the MiFi, you can access it through the Huawei app.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

What am I doing wrong ?
You're doing nothing wrong in respect of this! I tried resetting password (at least half a dozen times!), used different e-mail addresses (at least 4!), had an online chat with them (twice!) and they said they'd reset and I would receive an e-mail (within about 30 minutes max). Well, a couple of months later still can't get access. All I really use it for is to see how much data allowance is remaining on the PAYG sim in the mifi unit.
It used to work very well but now......................!

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
You need to do a speed test and see what the results are.

The text will be in the MiFi, you can access it through the Huawei app.
The mifi says good signal but speed test
Down 3.28
Up 1.09

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

What am I doing wrong ?
What model of Mifi is it? try admin for the password, thats usually the default.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The mifi says good signal but speed test
Down 3.28
Up 1.09
Too slow for reliable streaming, need 5mb/s min preferably 10.
If you are roaming try changing the network, you won't be able to do it in the UK as you have to use the network your contract is with.

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
I changed the bandwith on our Huawei E5577 from 2.4 to 5ghz and that made a significant difference

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Too slow for reliable streaming, need 5mb/s min preferably 10.
If you are roaming try changing the network, you won't be able to do it in the UK as you have to use the network your contract is with.
More is better but lots of content providers have streams at 2.5Mbps or lower.
I assume the OP’s ~3Mbs is also fluctuating to lower speeds, I.e. is not stable enough for even lower bit rate streams.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I changed the bandwith on our Huawei E5577 from 2.4 to 5ghz and that made a significant difference
If frequency range of the internal WiFi channels has helped network speeds then there was probably channel conflicts at 2.4GHz. I.e a neighbours’ WiFi router was on the same channel range.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
If it’s an old sim it might not allow the Mifi unit to connect to the whole spectrum available.
For example when 4G came out you had to get a new sim on some carriers to be able to access the new frequencies.
It’s the same for 5G.
As the carriers update the masts they are gradually switching off redundant frequencies, or switching the frequencies to other bands which the sim may not be able to access.
Newer mobile devices are all ready able to use the new bands when they come on line as well as multiple bands (Mimo) at the same time.
It won’t be long before 2G is switched off which will force everyone with just a basic phone to upgrade.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Technically impossible.
The only thing it will do is improve the speed of the connection between your device & the MiFi over the Wifi has no effect what so ever on the download speed.
I don't care why Lenny but when I first fired it up it would sit for ages trying open a web site and the phone was much quicker, messed about with settings and put it on 5Ghz only and it was flying, I did a speed test and it was well up there but can't remember the numbers, I guess there is no point in a fast connection if it can't get the data to your device.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just fitted Vodafone sim into HUAWEI motorhome WiFi kit with thing on the roof,

D0055704-5DDA-49C5-85B1-3ABB1C722B90.png

Seems pretty quick to me.

so quick it posted before I was finished😃 £20 per month 12 month contract and £48 cash back in the shop straight back on card, car phone warehouse in curry’s

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
That won't make any difference to download speed it only affects the wifi network on the LAN no effect on the WAN.

What does that mean?
WiFi is the output from the Mifi “box”.
The input to the Mifi “box”is the 3G/4g/5g mobile carrier signal.

So changing the set of WiFi frequencies won’t boost speeds - except in a scenario where the 2.4GHz frequency is congested. Changing either the 2.4GHz channel or switching to 5GHz can help then.

edit: 2.4GHz is a busy frequency area and additionally if you and a neighbour both use the same channel for your WiFi, you’ll impact on each other’s speeds.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Slightly off topic, and a short interlude, my neighbour and I were both using the same WiFi 2.4GHz channel.
The affects were subtle.
The main one was mrskevenh moaning her laptop was poor for surfing.
She’d pass it to fix, I’d check it out. Find no issue and pass it back.
It went on for a while with me blaming operators’ error.
Eventually I sat in her seat & experienced the problem. 😳
That’s when I found the channel conflict with my neighbour.
After leaving a channel scan going for some extended period, I found a channel in “free air” and chose it for my WiFi.
All WiFi issues sorted - mrskevenh happy 😎

Deleted User
WiFi is the output from the Mifi “box”.
The input to the Mifi “box”is the 3G/4g/5g mobile carrier signal.

So changing the set of WiFi frequencies won’t boost speeds - except in a scenario where the 2.4GHz frequency is congested. Changing either the 2.4GHz channel or switching to 5GHz can help then.

edit: 2.4GHz is a busy frequency area and additionally if you and a neighbour both use the same channel for your WiFi, you’ll impact on each other’s speeds.

I know basically what wifi is, what I don't know is what LAN and WAN mean.

Deleted User
Slightly off topic, and a short interlude, my neighbour and I were both using the same WiFi 2.4GHz channel.
The affects were subtle.
The main one was mrskevenh moaning her laptop was poor for surfing.
She’d pass it to fix, I’d check it out. Find no issue and pass it back.
It went on for a while with me blaming operators’ error.
Eventually I sat in her seat & experienced the problem. 😳
That’s when I found the channel conflict with my neighbour.
After leaving a channel scan going for some extended period, I found a channel in “free air” and chose it for my WiFi.
All WiFi issues sorted - mrskevenh happy 😎

Please explain 'channel scan', the only scan that I am aware of is for the network provider.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Local Aera Network & Wide Aera Network.

LAN is the wifi side i.e. your internal network, your Wifi.
WAN is the outside world i.e. the incoming signal in the case of a Mifi the 4G signal.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Loca area network and wide area network. http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-lan-and-wan
Personally I wouldn’t use WAN for the phone signal. I’d just use it for extended corporate networks.
Please explain 'channel scan', the only scan that I am aware of is for the network provider.
You can scan for WiFi networks. When you look for a WiFi connection your phone or laptop does this.
The extra part is charting the info.
For that you need an app. I jailbroke an old Linksys router to be a WiFi bridge and gained a WiFi scanner.
66204698-4607-43A3-9183-2643FFF06DA7.jpeg

Hmm! It looks like my neighbour has clashed with my channel choice again ☹️

Deleted User
Loca area network and wide area network. http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-lan-and-wan
Personally I wouldn’t use WAN for the phone signal. I’d just use it for extended corporate networks.

You can scan for WiFi networks. When you look for a WiFi connection your phone or laptop does this.
The extra part is charting the info.
For that you need an app. I jailbroke an old Linksys router to be a WiFi bridge and gained a WiFi scanner.
View attachment 420279
Hmm! It looks like my neighbour has clashed with my channel choice again ☹

Looks a bit technical for me, especially if you need more kit to do it.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
WAN is the outside world i.e. the incoming signal in the case of a Mifi the 4G signal.
Just FYI The 3G/4G/5G mobile signal is not the WAN.
It’s the carrier of the network that a WAN can ‘sit’ on. IMO

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
How do you do that?
There’s a menu setting for the Huawei where you can chose WiFi frequency set. 2.4g or 5g
Typically a home WiFi router will run both networks simultaneously.
Not the little Mifi Huawei box tho 🙁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back