Motorhome Weight (2 Viewers)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
As most know, I picked up my new motorhome yesterday, everything great, over the moon. Today I took it to a weighbridge, just me and nothing added, big shock, 3440kg. Now I maybe a newbie to motorhoming but that tells me I have a 60 kg payload, am I right?. I rang the dealer and he tells me it's a different weigh to the factory and everything is ok. I've sold hundreds without a problem he tells me. I'm now not sure what to do, I'm not having much luck so far.

Mickey.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The weight should be on a sticker near the driver's door. That's it's legal weight. But presumably you've bought a 3.5T MH and you are stuffed. Hard to find a 60kg passenger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I wouldn't be happy either. My Burstner T660 weighs 3000 Kg with half a tank of fuel and water, but with out me in the cab.
Its plenty for me but 60 Kg is now were near enough, unless you plan to travel empty ---- and leave the wife behind!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
As most know, I picked up my new motorhome yesterday, everything great, over the moon. Today I took it to a weighbridge, just me and nothing added, big shock, 3440kg. Now I maybe a newbie to motorhoming but that tells me I have a 60 kg payload, am I right?. I rang the dealer and he tells me it's a different weigh to the factory and everything is ok. I've sold hundreds without a problem he tells me. I'm now not sure what to do, I'm not having much luck so far.

Mickey.
If that turns out to be accurate it sounds as though it is "not fit for purpose".

Not meaning to be insulting but by the time your wife (assuming you are married) gets in you are probably over the plated limit. If so, And assuming your motorhome is classed as, at least, two berth, then clearly it cannot be used legally.

Shocking!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If your laden weight is 3500kg yes you are looking at a 60kg payload
You best check your axle weights as one may be over weight depending on how you are loaded and what chassis you have.
If it is plated at 3500kg I would return it to the dealer as not fit for purpose.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Are we surprised?

Are there any non standard accessories fitted, awning, solar or extra battery?

What are the manufacturer's specifications?
What was the quoted payload.

I'd get another weigh - with an official ticket printed.
I'd put your concerns in writing to the dealership, and all future contact with them should also be in writing - so you have a paper trail in case you have to go down the legal route.
I'd also work out what you would see as a satisfactory resolution... Reject (messy, time consuming, expensive), uprate if your license permits (who pays).
Hopefully, the weigh you've had is inaccurate.

Of course the dealer isn't bothered. Being overweight isn't his issue, he won't get the fines!

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
It looks like the 'advertised' payload is about 380kg that's with small amounts of diesel and water ... have you topped it right up? Have you added anything over and above the manufacturer? Anything dealer fitted? I'm thinking awning; gas systems; solar panels etc.?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...however, it does seem odd.
If it's the Chausson 728 as per your profile, then the specs are:
MTPLM 3,500Kg
MiRO 3,080Kg
Total User Payload 420Kg

Which isn't great considering its a 4 berth, but a lot more than 60kgs.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thanks to all replies, just to be clear, there was just me in the van, I'm 62kg, 3/4 of a tank of diesel and full water. my wife is the same weight as me, so that would put us overweight. The van is supposed to take 5 people, I had this feeling it wouldn't be 400kg payload, which he said it was. Anyone have any advice what I can do now?.

Mickey.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
It looks like the 'advertised' payload is about 380kg that's with small amounts of diesel and water ... have you topped it right up? Have you added anything over and above the manufacturer? Anything dealer fitted? I'm thinking awning; gas systems; solar panels etc.?
I had 120 watt solar panel, nothing else.

Mickey.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
that's not good. My (largely empty) new 3500kg plated Globecar PVC weighed in at 3060kg (driving over the local council tip weighbridge) , with me in it (80kg), with empty water tanks, maybe 10l fuel, full 11kg gas canister and a 4m awning fitted.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
From way back in 2007 (...and it is a "I heard" post & from the 'darkside')... but?

"I'm aware of at least one member who bought a new Chausson with (according to the manufacturer) a reasonable payload. On checking at the weighbridge he found that with half a tank of water and two passengers he was already slightly over the plated limit. Subsequent enquiries revealed that Chausson had used the wrong spec. chassis unit. After a battle he got a full refund and an apology but AFAIK Chausson never recalled any other vans as a result of the incident so check yours now just in case. I wonder how many other M/Hs there are out there with inaccurate weight plates"

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I had 120 watt solar panel, nothing else.

Mickey.

Hi Mickey, I feel your pain. You need to be 100% certain of you're facts before you go confronting the dealer though. The 400 payload will be with small amounts of water and fuel - each weigh about 1Kg per litre so you have to work out the size of your tanks. You also need to work out the weight of the solar panel (and it's controller/wiring) before you jump the gun.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you know anyone with a similar van, what are their weights?

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Really sorry to hear of your problem. Did you buy the van new? If you did, you need to go back to the dealer and explain that it is not satisfactory and not fit for its intended purpose. If the dealer does not offer help go straight to trading standards.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Although nothing like yours, our van is only 3400gvw, but took it to be weighed, and it came out at 2900 with full water and diesel and me in it, so we have half a ton spare, don't know what you can have that makes it that much heavier.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I don't think the weighbridge was wrong because I weighed it twice, once with me in and one with me out. 3380kg that's my weight 60kg.

Mickey.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Hi Mickey, I feel your pain. You need to be 100% certain of you're facts before you go confronting the dealer though. The 400 payload will be with small amounts of water and fuel - each weigh about 1Kg per litre so you have to work out the size of your tanks. You also need to work out the weight of the solar panel (and it's controller/wiring) before you jump the gun.
@Vanman , he told me it had a 400 kg payload including a full water tank , 90% fuel and driver 75kg. I'm only 60kg so I should have been gaining 15kg not losing 340kg. Ok, I had a solar panel fitted, but that wouldn't be so heavy.

Mickey.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
@Vanman , he told me it had a 400 kg payload including a full water tank , 90% fuel and driver 75kg. I'm only 60kg so I should have been gaining 15kg not losing 340kg. Ok, I had a solar panel fitted, but that wouldn't be so heavy.

Mickey.

I think there has been a break down in communications there - or the guy is an idiot. The websites and magazines all list your model as 380-420Kg payload but that will be using the 'industry standard' which I can't pull to mind but is about 10% fuel/water. I also missed a trick when I said Dealer fitted extras, the specification document I got for mine also lists the weight of any Manufacturer fitted extras such as bigger fuel tanks, automatic gear boxes, right down to radios/speakers and their wiring. Gas systems weigh too. :(

EDIT - mine is sold with a weight including 20L water

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
  1. Get another weigh from another weighbridge with a ticket (might be more expensive but worth it).
  2. Get a copy of the manufacturer's brochure with the specification*.
  3. If possible, get a copy of the dealer's sales leaflet/brochure/advert.
Did you have any factory fitted optional packs fitted, such as VIP, Drivers, Luxe etc?

Armed with these you can check out your options & know your choices.
It could be difficult, with Chausson there are so many options - even the base vehicle, Ford or Fiat, so they won't weigh the same. Engine size. Trim level Flash 3080kg but Welcome is 3160kg - there's 80kg

*Chausson's own brochure is terribly vague - the pdf has a disclaimer
"Weight empty in running order: Standard vehicle - Temporary document - Homologation to be confirmed"

So they're guessing :eek:.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
It looks like your vans payload has been calculated with 30 litres of water and that there is a taring stopper which can limit your water filling to 30 ltrs. Have you deployed this stopper or did you fill your tank to capacity, which I think is about 125 litres. You can therefore gain 95 kilos by doing this. Your solar panel will weight about 26 kilos. Hope this helps.

CHAP. IV Loads and loaded weight kg ImPortAnt : Be sure that you have correctly evaluated the weight of all objects you intend to transport in your vehicle, including passengers and fixed and movable accessories and options. Your clean water reservoir was tared at the factory for a 30-liter capacity, in compliance with regulations concerning the technically admissible maximum load weight for your motorhome when it is on the road. CAutIon : When you carry out manual descaling of a 30- to 125- liter clean water reservoir, you must recheck its load capacity. This check-up may require eliminating one seated place for travel. 7 wArnInG: You must never go beyond the technically admissible maximum load for your vehicle. ImPortAnt : Be careful to avoid going beyond the maximal authorized loads per axle which are listed on the vehicle’s identification plate. Information related to the certified capacity of your clean water reservoir and the way to increase it for travel are found on the gas certificate supplied with your vehicle. To apply the stopper, just push it inside the pipe. To remove the stopper. Vent flue Transparent Taring stopper Remove = 30 L Apply = 125 L Drain pipe Taring Blue pipe Blue Push on the flange.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Under the Consumer Act 2015, you have he right to reject any purchase within 30 days. And get a full refund

Contact the dealer and tell him you are rejecting the Motorhome. It is not fit for your purpose.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Mickey. I have just copied from the online brochure, what is included before the declared payload is stated, as follows:

weight ready for use: empty weight ready for use includes the driver’s weight (75 kg) and the
maximum reserve of water in circulation, 90% of fuel and 100% of gas. The empty weights ready
for use on the list take into account only standard equipment upon shipment from the factory.
European regulations tolerate a difference of +/- 5% on empty weight ready for use.
The vehicle maker reserves the right to modify.

Hope this helps.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Why ? He said it is 5 berth . If 5 people got in @75kgs a piece they can't go anywhere as he can't fill it with diesel ?

Mickey.
He was obviously lying or stupid . If it is being sold as 5 berth then 400kg payload would be right . All this assumes no water , no diesel, no anything apart from people.
Why anyone would want a 125 litre water tank that cannot be full when driving ? Or a diesel tank. The manufacturers should never be allowed to legally use a part full anything for MIRO. It should only ever be with full everything & amount of people.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mickey. I have just copied from the online brochure, what is included before the declared payload is stated, as follows:

weight ready for use: empty weight ready for use includes the driver’s weight (75 kg) and the
maximum reserve of water in circulation, 90% of fuel and 100% of gas. The empty weights ready
for use on the list take into account only standard equipment upon shipment from the factory.
European regulations tolerate a difference of +/- 5% on empty weight ready for use.
The vehicle maker reserves the right to modify.

Hope this helps.

+/- 5% on approx 3000kg = 150 kg interesting.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My guess is there are hundreds maybe thousands of 3500kg vans running around Europe that are overweight.
Manufacturers use the same base vehicles and probably most materials and fittings , so likely nothing to choose between them.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Why ? He said it is 5 berth . If 5 people got in @75kgs a piece they can't go anywhere as he can't fill it with diesel ?

Presumably the same reason they sell 4/5 berths with only two seat belts. Maybe you are supposed to adopt a family on arrival.

All I was saying was that before you start a legal case against Chausson for building a motor home that is not fit for purpose you need to look closely at all the facts. Advertised Payload minus everything else that's been added that wasn't included in that estimate - which includes all the options/extras that have been selected and plus any fuel/water/waste that's been accumulated too.

If it just comes down to the buyers word against the dealers then it's going to be difficult. It might then be time to look at getting it upgraded in weight - assuming Mickey has a C1 licence.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thanks for all advice, at the handover, the guy told me he had filled the water tank, I've checked and the handle is up which means there's 125 litres of water, thanks @The Dude , that's 95kg back, but it's still not good enough. So I now have 155kg, 60kg the wife leaves me 95kg , wow. I suppose I'd better weigh at a different weighbridge, but I can't see it being any different .

Mickey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back