Motorhome weight. Close to the limit. Help (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I would get it uprated. You won't have any significant problems in France. We are 3.8 tonnes and have never found this to limit our access, other than in places where yoou would not want to take a motorhome anyway.

General thought - we regularly discuss issues of motorhome GVW and up-rating on this forum. It is an open site so do you not think that enforcement agencies might look from time to time and see comments like 'most motorhomes are overweight'? That could be enough to prompt a more thorough approach to roadside testing!
Any excuse to fundraise (n)

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Does anybody know? When you upgrade say from 3.5t to 4t does this then increase the axle limit. My problem being 2t limit on rear axle

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Hi,
Suggest filling in enquiry form on svtech web site, they will reply with all the options open to you, just upgrading our chausson maxi, paper exercise to uprate from 3.5 to 3.7. Fitting air assist uprate to 3850 but both options leave axle weights the same. Fitting 225/ tyres on back axle can be uprated from 2oookg to 2240 kg with air assist.
Hope this is of help.
Frankie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Sorry fragle I can only sympathise. We bought our new MH and didn't have time to upgrade before setting off. So haven't brought bikes, ramps etc. All sorts of things which we have missed. Have kept fuel, water etc to a minimum. I guess in some ways,as with a lot of people ignorance was bliss. We're coming to the end of our four months, home week on Mondays ferry but will be prepared next time

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Sorry fragle I can only sympathise. We bought our new MH and didn't have time to upgrade before setting off. So haven't brought bikes, ramps etc. All sorts of things which we have missed. Have kept fuel, water etc to a minimum. I guess in some ways,as with a lot of people ignorance was bliss. We're coming to the end of our four months, home week on Mondays ferry but will be prepared next time
Hi Souix
Funny enough just been taking casual bikes out and a few bits. Not a big issue on this trip so hope to get sorted before next trip. Main issue is rear axle weight. Just can't wait to get going now:)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I would get it uprated. You won't have any significant problems in France. We are 3.8 tonnes and have never found this to limit our access, other than in places where you would not want to take a motorhome anyway.

General thought - we regularly discuss issues of motorhome GVW and up-rating on this forum. It is an open site so do you not think that enforcement agencies might look from time to time and see comments like 'most motorhomes are overweight'? That could be enough to prompt a more thorough approach to roadside testing!
many years ago, I used to be one of those "enforcement agency" officers. White vans in general (including motor homes) were always known for being a good bet in terms of overweight so we are not giving away any secrets here!

One slight problem here is that DVSA (old VOSA) only have powers under the relevant Act to stop "Goods or passenger carrying" vehicles. (The police of course do not have that limitation). Motor homes are neither so it becomes a little more awkward (though not impossible!) to enforce certain issue including weight. Another issue is that with the increasing use of "dynamic" weighbridges i.e those where the vehicle is driven slowly over the plate, the relevant Code of Practice that says that vehicles should be given a tolerance of 150 kgs per axle. DVSA are also unlikely to prosecute an overweight offence if the overweight is less than 5%. More recent guidance says that overweight of between 5 and 10 % should be dealt with by Graduated Fixed Penalty. Whether dealt with by way of GFP or prosecution, being overweight (vehicle not driver) is not an endorseable offence.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
many years ago, I used to be one of those "enforcement agency" officers. White vans in general (including motor homes) were always known for being a good bet in terms of overweight so we are not giving away any secrets here!

One slight problem here is that DVSA (old VOSA) only have powers under the relevant Act to stop "Goods or passenger carrying" vehicles. (The police of course do not have that limitation). Motor homes are neither so it becomes a little more awkward (though not impossible!) to enforce certain issue including weight. Another issue is that with the increasing use of "dynamic" weighbridges i.e those where the vehicle is driven slowly over the plate, the relevant Code of Practice that says that vehicles should be given a tolerance of 150 kgs per axle. DVSA are also unlikely to prosecute an overweight offence if the overweight is less than 5%. More recent guidance says that overweight of between 5 and 10 % should be dealt with by Graduated Fixed Penalty. Whether dealt with by way of GFP or prosecution, being overweight (vehicle not driver) is not an endorseable offence.
Hi mpdcymru

Thanks for the info. That helps greatly and is the reason we use motorhome fun. A wealth of good information. Many thanks to all for your information. I'll call SVtech tomorrow along with the dealer and hopefully get sorted. Maybe you could answer one question for me. How reliable are wheighbridges. Only the first time I only got a single weight 3.375t this time my gross was 3.6t but the total weight I added from first trip was 120kg. Over 100kg difference!

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
They *should* be reliable. The local authority has to licence them, and they have to be tested - basically certain councils have a low loader complete with forklift and a variety of certified weights, to test how accurate weighbridges are. I don't believe every Council has them, but those that do hire out the service to neighbouring authorities, all weighbridges have to be periodically tested.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Does anybody know? When you upgrade say from 3.5t to 4t does this then increase the axle limit. My problem being 2t limit on rear axle

Depends on a whole variety of things, SVtech will advise. Sum of axle weights doesn't necessarily equal maximum allowed gross weight. I went from 1850kg front / 2120 rear / 3500 gross to 1850kg front / 2250kg rear / 4000 gross. The van is on the Ducato Maxi chassis though which helped, no changes to wheels or tyres required.

I still have to be careful on front axle weight - mind you, all the cr@p in the garage, way out past the back axle, might be counterbalancing and pulling the front up a bit by now!! :whistle:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Hi mpdcymru

Thanks for the info. That helps greatly and is the reason we use motorhome fun. A wealth of good information. Many thanks to all for your information. I'll call SVtech tomorrow along with the dealer and hopefully get sorted. Maybe you could answer one question for me. How reliable are wheighbridges. Only the first time I only got a single weight 3.375t this time my gross was 3.6t but the total weight I added from first trip was 120kg. Over 100kg difference!

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Hi mpdcymru

A "dynamic" bridge has to be accurate to within 50 Kgs per axle measured over 3 types of vehicle (two axle rigid, multi=axle rigid and an articulated vehicle each doing a number of "runs" over the plate (a couple down each side of the plate a couple down the centre and one "overspeed" run to ensure the machine prints the overspeed warning if a vehicle I driven too quickly.

It is most likely you used a "plate" bridge as that is the most commonly used bridge for trade purposes. These are maintained and checked either by the bridge manufacturer or by the local Trading Standards - in either case, the whole procedure is overseen by Trading Standards as they "certify" the bridge as accurate. This process is rather different and involves the placing of a number of different weights (specially produced and accurately manufactured slabs of metal) at pre-determined stages until the maximum authorised weight of the bridge is reached. Again, the weight recorded must be within 50 kgs of the weight applied to the bridge.

I am not sure how you weighed your vehicle but, if weighed as a single weight (I.e. all axles of the vehicle placed on the bridge then there should not be such a margin of difference. If however your first weighing was weighing each axle separately and adding the weights together to provide a gross, then this would explain the difference as this is not an over accurate of measurement. The distance the non-weighed wheels are from the plate frame will make a marked difference.

If you are in any doubt about the accuracy of the bridge you could always ask to see the bridge calibration certificate (the weighbridgeman should know what you are talking about but he may not as some use almost anyone to carry out the task but press your point as the manager will know). Dynamic bridges are calibrated once every six-months and Plate bridges are generally calibrated every year. If the certificates are further back than this then don't use the bridge and report the matter to the local Trading standards office.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I used a plate bridge and they took a single reading. Second time I had all 3 front first then total then rear. I've taken the casual bikes out for this holiday and been in contact with svtech today. Seems it will be quite expensive for me to upgrade axle limit as tyres need to be changed and air suspension added. The other option from my dealer is simple. A rebadge from Adria up to 3650 for £100 no extra work and be careful on the rear axle load. At the moment I'll see how this holiday goes and make a decision when we get back. Without the bikes and an empty water tank saves 140kg so will be ok on this one(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just a Thought? I bought a new Lunar caravan in 2012. I checked with lunar and they quote 2 GVW`s for this Caravan. Nothing needs to be changed EXCEPT the data plate.
In my case because it was a new van they supplied the uprated plate for free and the dealer fitted it. Apparently this in NOT uncommon because some people need to tow with lighter cars with a lower Towing limit. So the Manufacturer merely lowers the payload?

The Winnebago in the avatar is built on a 24000lb (11t) chassis, but they can be down-rated as far as 7.5t. (16500lb) and sometimes are for the UK.

Pete

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was going away and loaded my M bike in tha back and we went to the tip to get a weigh, Snotty Barstarter there would not do AND would not me enter the site to turn around either making me back up the access road to turn into a car park. BIFFA is the new company taking over the KCC waste contract . The previous company allowed free weighs but could not give a certificate when I wanted to check the weights. The nearest other bridge is miles away and dead inconvenient .

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I was going away and loaded my M bike in tha back and we went to the tip to get a weigh, Snotty Barstarter there would not do AND would not me enter the site to turn around either making me back up the access road to turn into a car park. BIFFA is the new company taking over the KCC waste contract . The previous company allowed free weighs but could not give a certificate when I wanted to check the weights. The nearest other bridge is miles away and dead inconvenient .
that could be because the bridge has not been calibrated and the staff have been told not to weigh any vehicle from the public as that might, if incorrect, involve them in court proceedings. On the other hand he might just be a "Snotty...."

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
With my cynical attitude to ANYTHING Bureaucratic. I tend to the "Snotty".

Reintroducing the "Jobsworth" awards is long overdue. How about a Jobsworth Thread (pinned? Jim)

Pete

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
So long as we remember that this, along with so many other "Jobsworths" are in the private sector!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back