Motorhome wave (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know if it's just me they don't like, but I am giving up this waveing lark, been in France ,Belgium and holland (spit) for a week and unless I waved to another mh not one person waved to us, has it died out now.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can honestly say that of all the vans we met , not one waved first, so not bothering any more, feel a bit daft anyway, if you met them in the street you'd probably walk the other way:hi:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We had a right laugh driving through France into Spain doing the wave, i must agree that not many waved to us first, and even though we got responses from other campers in MHs it wasn't always a guarantee wave back - However (yes we were amusing ourselves doing this) If i Flashed them well in advance (with the lights) and then we gave a wave it was a more or less 100% returned wave back... we were fascinated by the different types of waves too, some like a couple of fingers off the steering wheel (as though they were scared to let it go with one hand) others were like a Hitler wave, and others were down right frantic waves from both driver and passenger - big smiles an grins all over their faces as though we had really made their day - nowt as queer as folk as they say eh (y)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We did our own "survey" of motorhome waving :hi:

First on our run out over a distance of 160 miles across the UK, out of 47 motorhomes spotted and waved at, 5 responded :frowny:

On the same return journey we then flashed and waved at some 39 motorhomes, of which 37 waved back :clap:

My deduction is simple, people just don't see you, unless you give them something to break their concentration with like flashing our lights :nerd:

Doris did mention her mooning them to see if they'd notice, but I said they drove motorhomes to thrill them, not kill them :giggler:

Had to make my own bacon butty on arrival :angel:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Ha ha we've been having this debate all week I started I was waving at every motorhome but only some were waving back , many waved at us first but not all so I stopped waving ....also found sometimes they waved just when I was negotiating an awkward junction or trying to find signs for where I was going lol

So now I wave if it's convenient without killing anyone and not too bothered if they wave back or not

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
We have been playing a game as we go over here (France) first select the Stakes ..then guess will the next one wave back or not?
So far its cost me: two strawberry tarts, I did the washing up, a whole apple tart (the large one) and I hoovered the van!! silly thing this waving .:unsure:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It gets a bit tedious as there are just so many now.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We have been playing a game as we go over here (France) first select the Stakes ..then guess will the next one wave back or not?
So far its cost me: two strawberry tarts, I did the washing up, a whole apple tart (the large one) and I hoovered the van!! silly thing this waving .:unsure:
Blimey, you can travel with me any day, only I'm not sure if I could give up a whole apple tart :whistle::whew:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Why can't MH manufacturers just fit these as standard and save us all some bother?

10030751_1.jpg

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
S'funny, had this same moan today,............when in my little Fiat, the nunber of waves I got back was almost zilch..........driving the Hymer, however, ok whilst it certainly wasn't every Mh that came towards me, it was certainly noticeable there was some response.........

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Find that now I have a panel van people don't wave at me - ahhh. Often got a wave when I had a coach built van.
When my sister got her first MH she loved the idea of waving, however her first wave was a horse box!!! They must have thought she was demented as it was certainly a vigorous wave.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Plenty of waves when I had the Burstner ............nobody waves at me now ........too small :crying::crying::crying:

Oh and magicsurfbus ....that is seriously bad engineering ............................

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Why can't MH manufacturers just fit these as standard and save us all some bother?

10030751_1.jpg
When I had my vw camper they used to sell yellow hands that sucked to your windscreen to save LWS ( limp wrist syndrome ) im sure I still have one somewhere

My partner wants to know why mh owners don't wave to caravans I had to smack her wrists several times in the last week

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
When I drove a Type 2 VW Camper, we rarely if ever got any waves back from Type 3s, such is the snobbery within the VW tribe. You also used to get the Aloha sign from the more surfy members of the cult:

Gesture_raised_fist_with_thumb_and_pinky_lifted.jpg

Although it was best not to do that in Eastern Europe because it's the sign of the cuckold.

No, actually, I made that bit up, based on some urban legend that thumbing a lift in Sardinia (or somewhere) is inadvisable for that reason.

Everybody waves at Splitties because Splitties are so damn coooooool. If it was a Samba Splitty you'd be too busy drooling to wave.

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
I have recently given up waving. Too many MHs on the road these days so just concentrate on safe driving.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I used to wave, and get waved back at, in my old Autosleeper van conversion. My WildAx looks like a builder's van (it was one previously) so no one waves and I've given up!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Surprised so many of you agree with me, thought I would have been well and truly shot down for being unsociable (y);)

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Got a wave and a flash yesterday on the A272 not had one in ages . Wife asked did I know the people :giggle: Why did I wave at em

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We'll always wave, maybe not over 5 lanes of motorway as many do, but certainly on all other roads. Its a nice sociable thing to do. Plenty don't wave back these days, but who cares. We feel sorry for those miserable gits who can see but choose to ignore a wave. How I'd love to share a beer with people like that not :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
A young gay chap was with his friend at a funfair and suggested they go on the big wheel. His friend was to frightened so he went on alone. After three rotations of the wheel there was a terrible grinding squealing noise as the steel structure collapsed and fell to the ground bringing the riders down with it. The little gay chap who was waiting watched all this with horror and he ran up and dug with his bare hands in the wreckage until he located his friend, "Are you you badly hurt?" he asked. His injured friend replied, "Badly hurt, of course I am, I went round three times and you never waved once, bitch."

captain

Free Member
Apr 1, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer S700
Exp
since 2005
We wave & those that don't wave back must be sad! when you are out in your m/home it should be joyful and all singing as you go on another trip!

But then when I am out I will talk to anyone whatever nationality, Life's to short for stuffed shirts!

When we pass other classic Hymers it's flashing lights waving with 2 hands LOL

Captain

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We were driving across the Yorkshire Moors once and I saw this MH driver approaching in the opposite lane waving at me with only one extended finger, which I thought was extremely rude.

Then I realised it was his index finger and I'd left the satellite dish up when we set off.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We always wave , except on motorways as it's a big ask when trying not to run in to lorries and avoiding pulling out at the wrong moment ect.
Mind you, coming back up from Cornwall yesterday we saw a van with what looked like a plastic hand waving device attached to the dashboard!
Pretty cool I thought,if a little impersonal ::bigsmile:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We always try to wave, except on motorways or dual carriageways. Sometimes one of us will do it but mostly both of us. Get a wave back most of the time, but not always. Similar responses whether in UK or Europe. Biggest problem I have is when I have just got back from a trip and am driving the car. Sometimes find myself still waving to motorhomes - get some funny looks then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back