Motorhome Versus Caravan (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Just had our first trip in the caravan, and I was surprised at how different it is to a MOHO. On the plus side once set up we can come and go with the car. Parking is not an issue, and everything is as we left it, when we get back. The caravan has a lot more room than our Auotosleeper PVC and a shower we can turn around in.

The downside is all the faffing around required to set up a caravan. There's no gauge to let us know when the water is getting low so we ran out twice whilst using the shower. Also towing a caravan makes the journey slower.

This was our first trip out so we made a few rookie mistakes, but nothing fatal:) 1 thing I found was when towing the car's auto transmission did not do well and I put it into manual,l but, the only thing I have driven for years with a manual gearbox, was my work van with a diesel engine. The car is petrol and needed at lot more revs also I'm not used to flappy paddle gear changes, but I did get the hang of it eventually.

When we're away, we stay on sites and I think we will be OK with the caravan, I can see on long trips it will take longer on the road and setting up for an overnight stop. The alternative for us was a bigger MOHO which we would probably not be able to park at home (we can only just get the caravan in) and with all the downsides to having a big MOHO we decided on the caravan. We will give ourselves a year and may go back to a MOHO if it is not working out.

So far so good! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We loved our mini freedom caravan, was great for the UK. Towed it with our Diesel MINI :love:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
That’s exactly what I found. Harder to go, harder to stop, but less stopping and going needed. As a single adult with a child, I much prefer the MH, but would tug if I travelled with another adult and children, MH if grown ups only.

The only problem I haven’t really been able to solve is that sites good for MHs (close to amenities, bus stops or good overnights like Britstops) are not good for children. My kid doesn’t need a super playground or anything, but she does need other kids to play with, and it helps if they have something to congregate round and break the ice. A rope swing or stream is ideal.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Having had both if we wanted to go to a site for a wek or more at a time we would go for a caravan but we don't we like to tour a day or at most 2 here and then move on we also like aires in France and wilding in Scotland so its a m/h for us at the moment . Each to their own not one better or worse.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
That’s exactly what I found. Harder to go, harder to stop, but less stopping and going needed. As a single adult with a child, I much prefer the MH, but would tug if I travelled with another adult and children, MH if grown ups only.

The only problem I haven’t really been able to solve is that sites good for MHs (close to amenities, bus stops or good overnights like Britstops) are not good for children. My kid doesn’t need a super playground or anything, but she does need other kids to play with, and it helps if they have something to congregate round and break the ice. A rope swing or stream is ideal.
At our time of life and having no grandchildren we use adults only when ever we can

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
That’d be all of them! I understand why good MH stops are not great for kids, but it did surprise me. I think now I know, a mix of sites will serve us better. I also think it was exacerbated by staying on the Isle of Man, which was perfect for families, but seemed to have relatively few of them. Shame.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
For us it was always a motorhome. My wife will drive the motorhome but won't tow a caravan, worth thinking about if you take ill or injure yourself to have someone else to be able to drive. For us having the camper means if we get on to site and don't like it it's easy to get up and go, a lot more messing around with caravan. I also would be concerned with caravaning. As a camper driver I'm mindful of loading and tyre rating. How many times I've seen a car towing a big caravan, the car fully loaded and roof rack with top box and bikes etc. Probably running on standard tyres and pressures, I'm sure many do check but makes you wonder

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
We just pitched next to a great twin axel affair, apparently towed with a regular Audi saloon, by a young man who can’t possibly have had an automatic C1. There’s no way that van weighed 85 percent of the car, even if he did have a C1!

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
I think the decision on what to go for always boils down to personal circumstances and lifestyles. After having both and the situation I am in with elderly care, how we holiday and vehicle requirements for daily use...……………………… I have recently moved to the dark side of having a caravan. I don't find it anymore hassle than having the Mo-Ho, only when it comes to long trips and setting up the larger awning, but for the short 2-3 days away, not an issue in all fairness and we won't bother with an awning, just a simple sun canopy.
Just the ability of a simple postcode change makes all the difference sometimes, even if it's just an hour or two's drive down the road.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
85% rule is not law
We looked at this a lot before buying the caravan. We don't want to change the car as we may go back to a MOHO. The car's weight is aprox. 1700 kg. The caravan we got is 1238 kg loaded, so all OK. However if we continue with the caravan we will upgrade the car in a few years. The car is just over 3 years old and has lost a lot of value, we normally keep a car 8 or 9 years and sometimes longer if it's going well.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I looked at motor homes again last week but have to finally accept I won’t be able to drive one again :( I’m looking for a caravan to put permanently on a site. Found a site I like, just have to find the right caravan and take the plunge.
I’m sure you’ll get used to all the little niggles like the water running out, and have many great trips in the future.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had trailer tents & caravans for over 25 years, now into our 11th year with a Motorhome. We would never go back, I went right off towing and don't really like sites.
Only real difference it has made is we don't bother with the UK now as too Motorhome unfriendly but this has meant we go much further afield furthest so far has been Greece.

Last edited:

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I won’t tow, although did when we had a caravan, I certainly didn’t like it. I drive the MH without issue. Our original use was stop somewhere for a few day then move on, however, we never really got to see a place properly. We now stop for longer than a few days for our main holidays as we can then get about in the locality and explore. I wouldn’t swap the MH for a caravan even though we use it differently.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We like both caravans and motorhomes,but, for us Motorhome is what we are sticking to, after 8 weeks in Spain, using Aires, and campsites no problem,we use public ,transport, bikes or walk, other than that we don't have to keep running over same ground ,we just move on .

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
there will be a lot of scrap caravans if they bring in mot type test for caravans good for a friend of mine runs a breakers yard for caravans

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Tow a tiny toad. Works for us. Well it's a trailered toad but still a toad.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I'm enjoying our little Eriba more than our previous PVC. Easy to tow and set up, we still use for touring for a couple of nights each place on way to Devon. We're going to try a 5 night stay somewhere soon and try the new Awning that came with it. We were never wild campers and always use sites so suits us at the moment. Eriba caravanners wave at each other as well.(y)

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
you should see some of the wrecks of caravans being used on the roads not fit for purpose as my above post he collects around ten to twenty vans a week many accident damaged caused from failed parts

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
What would they test? Brakes and wheel bearings, chassis for rust, but what else? Everything else is domestic and they do not test that on a MH MOT.
as many lights on a caravan as a motorhome ,bodywork has to be sound and safe sames as a van swing axles and inner bearings there will be a lot of scrap vans if they bring it in

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We much prefer motorhome and tow toad in U.K. or bikes on back when in Europe, great combination for touring and sites over here.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
as many lights on a caravan as a motorhome ,bodywork has to be sound and safe sames as a van swing axles and inner bearings there will be a lot of scrap vans if they bring it in

Are you sure that will be included in the tests, which have not been written yet, as nobody is allowed to travel in a caravan?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
What would they test? Brakes and wheel bearings, chassis for rust, but what else? Everything else is domestic and they do not test that on a MH MOT.
Lights tyres security of body to chassis hitch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back