Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi guys,I was just wondering if anyone knows a sight where you can get a proper valuation of your motorhome,not from a dealer who just wants to sell it on for profit.Thanks in avance guys:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Even the trade guides we have seen aren't comprehensive! I know of no such sites.

The best way is to google your motorhome name and year.:Smile:

You'll see results based on what the dealers are selling them for!
The easy way to make your selling price is to knock off a bit from their prices to compensate your potential buyer for you having no finance facilities or any degree of 'comeback'.:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The only way to find out for sure is to sell it as its really only worth what someone will pay, the next best thing is to see what others have sold for. The biggest mistake people make is to look at magazines, see motorhomes for sale and use that as a guide price, chances are that the motorhome did not sell for the asking price.

An excellent way to find out what motorhomes sold for is to use ebays completed listings feature. Then you will see the price these motorhomes actually sold for. You need to be a member, once signed in, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Search page. You can get there by clicking the Search button at the top of any eBay page.
  2. Click the Advanced Search tab.
  3. Enter your search keywords and other search options (if desired).
  4. Click the "Completed Items" checkbox offered in the section Refine your search.
  5. Click the Search button, and you'll get a list of items matching your search that have ended during the last 15 days.
Best of luck:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Even the trade guides we have seen aren't comprehensive! I know of no such sites.

The best way is to google your motorhome name and year.:Smile:

You'll see results based on what the dealers are selling them for!
The easy way to make your selling price is to knock off a bit from their prices to compensate your potential buyer for you having no finance facilities or any degree of 'comeback'.:Smile:

Good advice but be careful private buyers DO have a comeback based on SOGA

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would agree wholeheartedly with Jim, do research the price they are going for - but be realsitic.

Private sales of motorhomes are often after receiving a poor trade in value from a dealer. Many owners think of value relating to mileage, as with cars - although this does have a bearing, many m/h are low mileage...so it won't be a rare or special thing!

You also have those that paid 60k new, have done 10k miles and cannot accept that they have lost 30k in depreciation.....so try and sell for as much as they can.

As said, motorhomes are worth as much as someone is willing to pay! Have a look round dealer sites, and put your rough price somewhere between that and your trade in offer....don't expect to get dealer prices - people pay a premium for warranties and back-up they get from (good) dealers!

I see so many vans being sold for more than dealers are selling them at - don't use these as a guide..they are people just being optimistic!

Good luck!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I recently asked a dealer for a trade in value on my van against a similar new van, he offered £30k. Identical vans are changing hands at £36k. Nice margin if you can get it!

Rgds
Bill

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I recently asked a dealer for a trade in value on my van against a similar new van, he offered £30k. Identical vans are changing hands at £36k. Nice margin if you can get it!

Rgds
Bill

That isn't a bad offer really - lots of dealers will not touch a van for under 10k profit. It isn't about greed, they are a business and have to make a profit - they also have to employ staff, and the size of the sites they need are huge! Not only in purchase/rent but also rates.

Many councils charge business rates on forecourt space at £15/square foot - you have seen the size of these sites! It isn't cheap.

You then look into servicing, repairs, warranties, valeting and forecourt space and it all costs!:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Baz,you have to do research :thumb: Try what Jim says on completed sales,but this may not be of much use because lots of people will visit /view the van and make an offer,so the sale is not completed via eBay :thumb:
If you want to sell go get a couple of offers from dealers then stick it on eBay (well worded add telling all the best features)with a starting bid at the best dealer offer :thumb:Anything over this will be a bonus.Dealers watch adds in the hope of picking up a bargain as well as private punters.
terry

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

Rgds
Bill

Personally I think that is a good offer, knowing the overheads of running a business, plus he will have to pay VAT of approx£1,000.00 elctric rent rates staff etc. believe me not alot left.

All the best Rick.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
That isn't a bad offer really - lots of dealers will not touch a van for under 10k profit. It isn't about greed, they are a business and have to make a profit - they also have to employ staff, and the size of the sites they need are huge! Not only in purchase/rent but also rates.

Many councils charge business rates on forecourt space at £15/square foot - you have seen the size of these sites! It isn't cheap.

You then look into servicing, repairs, warranties, valeting and forecourt space and it all costs!:thumb:

Try my overheads, £2000 a day, 365 days a year, £800,000 costs before I make a profit and I don't pay rent as I own the site and I do not draw wages either,

Peter

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Try my overheads, £2000 a day, 365 days a year, £800,000 costs before I make a profit and I don't pay rent as I own the site and I do not draw wages either,

Peter

Peter, can i be nosey,,,, does that include wages in your over heads?

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I agree with Jim when we recently sold our euro MH we contacted a valuer and dealers and the best they cMe up with was £22,000 we actually sold it from our driveway for £28,000

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
When we changed our van our did 2 deals with the sales manager, with a pick up date of around 3 weeks from that date.
The first was part exchanging the van we had. So a value agreed and this included any discount that they would be able to offer on screen price.
The second deal I negociated was a cash deal on the new van (well newer than what we had). I managed to get £2500 off the screen price for this, but was told that I was unlikely to sell my van privately, especially so quickly.

I did sell the van and for £4500 more than the part ex price......plus the £2500 off the screen price for the cash deal meant a cost to change of £7k less.

We were very lucky and my sales background maybe helped a little. All winners though. The dealer sold a van at a price acceptable to them. Another family bought our van for some £3k + less than they would have from a dealer, and we got our van for the lowest cost to change.

What was great with doing things this way was that we secured the new van we had been looking for for a long time (just in time for our summer trip to France). But kept our options open and gave ourselves the chance to sell our van without the risk of losing a deposit if it didn't sell in time.

We found a huge range of prices for our old van and were offered amounts which varied by around £3k between different dealers. But all lower than the price we sold for privately.

I was told there is no definitive guide to pricing like there is with cars.
I wonder how insurance companies value vans when it comes to a claim?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I was told there is no definitive guide to pricing like there is with cars.
I wonder how insurance companies value vans when it comes to a claim?

As little as possible, if the vans listed generally bottom book trade, answer is to see what your van is retailing at and gthen tell them to go and buy it and deliver it to your door at their expense.

That generally gets them to see sense!

Peter

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
As little as possible, if the vans listed generally bottom book trade, answer is to see what your van is retailing at and gthen tell them to go and buy it and deliver it to your door at their expense.

That generally gets them to see sense!

Peter

Quite always insist on the REPLACEMENT value & not just the 'book' value as many 'book' values bare no relation to the true replacement cost. If they argue search the ads & send them copies that often works

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back