Motorhome under fallen tree on A40 (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and a front view, glad to see occupants unharmed

24991610_1468542243214604_6415541599483868114_n.jpg

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Best of luck to them, I hope there were no injuries, the wind here has been really hard, the tree all around us in the Forest have lost boughs and all of their reming foliage, I'm just praying non of the trees fall on the house or our Motorhome.

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Not nice ,hopefully insurers don't play silly beggars and they get paid out quickly, or will they try the "Act of God" phrase? Fair weight in the tree by looks of it.
If only Movan's phrase regarding the last tree had happened a bit sooner ,sorry Movan will check on your phrase later :).
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Just checked "When the last tree is cut"
Will write this one hundred times and remember it in future:D. Maybe not right away as I'm about to watch Man City v Man Utd.
John

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Wow nature can do some real damage . So glad the travellers are okay but I bet they are in shock.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
How terrible, glad they were unharmed, quite a bendy road ... we hope too that the insurers won't treat it as an act of God and a quick payout....

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This is my biggest fear when driving in high winds when the ground is wet. My first reaction when I saw it was: "Oh S H one T!", gutted for the owners, but looks like it missed the cab! Hope they're OK!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Oooer .... nasty. Feel sorry for the owner / occupants.

Really bad luck to be passing at just the wrong moment.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Not that far from us.......Max’s great nieces boyfriend was due to go back to Gloucestershire by the A40 this afternoon but decided to stay till tomorrow after we told them the snow situation round Brecon

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Land owners are legally responsible for the safety of trees on their land and are now obliged to carry out annual risk assessments based on on the condition of the trees especially those that are in falling distance of the public highway. The claim may be against the land owner if they are considered to be negligent.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I do feel so sorry for the people in the motorhome it must have been terrifying.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Brown trouser moment methinks, they probably carried on to Staines

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Very sad news for the owners. I hope they are OK?

EDIT: I don't get the pics though; it's as if they relate to two separate incidents. One pic shows the MoHo off the road while the other show the van in parallel to the central lines.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Looks like a nice new pickup Truck with the remnants. Do makers ever fit a new body to a chassis if it is that bad? The van was perfectly positioned on the road way but the snow makes it look like it was down the bank. I bet they felt that stop though.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
If you look at the front picture, you'll see that the body has been pushed towards the near side. Very lucky escape.

Malcolm

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Land owners are legally responsible for the safety of trees on their land and are now obliged to carry out annual risk assessments based on on the condition of the trees especially those that are in falling distance of the public highway. The claim may be against the land owner if they are considered to be negligent.
Have to chime in on this one, now this saga starts way back in around thee year 2000. My parents had a tree in the front garden, it had been dying for many years, and so my parents sought permission to cut it down, bearing in mind it was right next to a road, and in a dangerous condition (and subject to a TPO)

The application was declined, after many (I assume tree hugging hippies) objected. My parents appealed the decision, citing that they would be liable if it fell causing injury. The council agreed to come and inspect the tree, even though they had provided reports from 3 tree surgeons stating that the tree needed to come down. The council sent a letter a few months later stating that the decision was upheld, and they would not grant permission to remove the tree. My parents were given permission to trim the tree, but that was it.

OK so we now fast forward to 2010, there was a storm in the area, and a large bough of the tree fell, blocking the road. Fortunately it didn't hit anything, apart from my parents fence. My parents left the tree blocking the road. Eventually a council official knocked on the door informing my parents that it was their responsibility to maintain the trees in good order, and that they would be liable for the removal of said tree.

My father dug his heels in, and produced all the previous communications regarding the application to remove the tree. The attending official was adamant that permission should have been approved to remove the tree, since it was clearly dead.
A few weeks later an invoice appeared on my parents door mat, charging for the removal of the tree. After much wrangling, the invoice was cancelled. And the council said that the tree need to be removed.

Ecstatic by this news, my parents once again applied for permission to remove the tree. Two weeks later the application was once again denied!!!!! Seriously you couldn't make this stuff up!

My father sent, what we call in our family, a snot-o-gram, basically declining any responsibility for the tree, and any danger that it presented. The council replied that if the tree is dangerous then it needs to be removed. Again permission was sought to cut it down, and, well I don't need to tell you the outcome.

Fast forward to 2013, another howling gale, and the entire tree fractured across its trunk, about 10ft up, and fell inwards towards the house. Luckily it only brought down power and telephone cables, but no real damage caused. We were ecstatic, mother nature had finally eliminated the problem! We took many photos of the carnage (luckily). And got a tree surgeon to remove the stump.

Last year the council got in touch, stating (and you'll love this) "It has been noted that you have illegally cut down a tree subject to a TPO" it went into great depth that they were going to take my mother to court over the issue. Since my father by this point had passed away, I sent scans of the ongoing saga back to the council, with a covering letter explaining that since it was the weather was to blame, the defendant in their case would be god, and I wasn't entirely sure what his address was.

We haven't had anything back.

Yet!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have to chime in on this one, now this saga starts way back in around thee year 2000. My parents had a tree in the front garden, it had been dying for many years, and so my parents sought permission to cut it down, bearing in mind it was right next to a road, and in a dangerous condition (and subject to a TPO)

The application was declined, after many (I assume tree hugging hippies) objected. My parents appealed the decision, citing that they would be liable if it fell causing injury. The council agreed to come and inspect the tree, even though they had provided reports from 3 tree surgeons stating that the tree needed to come down. The council sent a letter a few months later stating that the decision was upheld, and they would not grant permission to remove the tree. My parents were given permission to trim the tree, but that was it.

OK so we now fast forward to 2010, there was a storm in the area, and a large bough of the tree fell, blocking the road. Fortunately it didn't hit anything, apart from my parents fence. My parents left the tree blocking the road. Eventually a council official knocked on the door informing my parents that it was their responsibility to maintain the trees in good order, and that they would be liable for the removal of said tree.

My father dug his heels in, and produced all the previous communications regarding the application to remove the tree. The attending official was adamant that permission should have been approved to remove the tree, since it was clearly dead.
A few weeks later an invoice appeared on my parents door mat, charging for the removal of the tree. After much wrangling, the invoice was cancelled. And the council said that the tree need to be removed.

Ecstatic by this news, my parents once again applied for permission to remove the tree. Two weeks later the application was once again denied!!!!! Seriously you couldn't make this stuff up!

My father sent, what we call in our family, a snot-o-gram, basically declining any responsibility for the tree, and any danger that it presented. The council replied that if the tree is dangerous then it needs to be removed. Again permission was sought to cut it down, and, well I don't need to tell you the outcome.

Fast forward to 2013, another howling gale, and the entire tree fractured across its trunk, about 10ft up, and fell inwards towards the house. Luckily it only brought down power and telephone cables, but no real damage caused. We were ecstatic, mother nature had finally eliminated the problem! We took many photos of the carnage (luckily). And got a tree surgeon to remove the stump.

Last year the council got in touch, stating (and you'll love this) "It has been noted that you have illegally cut down a tree subject to a TPO" it went into great depth that they were going to take my mother to court over the issue. Since my father by this point had passed away, I sent scans of the ongoing saga back to the council, with a covering letter explaining that since it was the weather was to blame, the defendant in their case would be god, and I wasn't entirely sure what his address was.

Yet!
Wow, you couldn’t make it up. We have similar problems as in conservation area with TPOs. Thankfully our Council Tree Officer reasonable and so far has granted the applications of us and our neighbours.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I've just got back in from removing the remnants of an ash tree covered in ivy that had blown down along my road a bit. I saw a help plea on Faceache, from the people from whose garden it fell from into the road. It wasn't very big but the KCC had turned up and were about to call out one of their contractors ( imagine the charge Sunday afternoon call out) I got it in pieces and removed it on my trailer in a very short order all cut up in lengths and ready for splitting into logs. It was old dead and had no roots left luckily it was only about 18" in diameter. On the log-store pile tomorrow.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013

Yet!
Staggering incompetence!! After being involved with trees for40 +years with a local authority l am not surprised especially as tree managers are often in conflict with the planners, the latter often clueless on arboricultural matters.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Staggering incompetence!! After being involved with trees for40 +years with a local authority l am not surprised especially as tree managers are often in conflict with the planners, the latter often clueless on arboricultural matters.
We got the distinct impression that no department was in communication with any other part of the council. As I say, we are still waiting for god to be served his summons! :D

[edit]
We actually asked the tree surgeon to leave us a part of the trunk, from just above ground level. It was rotten to the core, only about the external 3 inches could have been deemed healthy. We are keeping this log piece as evidence as to the state of the tree!

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
We got the distinct impression that no department was in communication with any other part of the council. As I say, we are still waiting for god to be served his summons! :D

[edit]
We actually asked the tree surgeon to leave us a part of the trunk, from just above ground level. It was rotten to the core, only about the external 3 inches could have been deemed healthy. We are keeping this log piece as evidence as to the state of the tree!
Council communication between departments , hasn't yet, and never will be invented. Each stuck in their own make believe worlds. Try buying red tape , sold out as the Council have it all.
What makes it worse , WE elected them.
John

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
That's what I was afraid of when I had to leave the site to go to another this morning. A dreadful drive along flooded roads and fallen boughs. An hour after I parked up in the new site the winds dropped and it's been snowing ever since.
So glad it didn't happen to me. I'm glad the occupants were ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back