Motorhome Tyre Manufacture Date Query (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The new Motorhome arrived yesterday and I knew that I would have to replace the tyres because the Dealer was unwilling to do so. My peace of mind is more important than his profit margin.

There are no DOT markings on the Tyre Walls [Michelin Agilis Campervan 25/75R 16 CP] just E2 0006606 0213606S2R2. The motorhome was registered 1st June 2016, so my guess is that we have the original tyres, which might have been produced in about June 2013 [when the Fiat Ducato was manufactured?]. The tyres look in good condition [mileage 8775 since new], but it looks as though they are coming up for 8 years old.

Can anyone tell me whether my guess about the tyre age is about right, or better still, give a technical interpretation of the [limited] tyre wall data? I'm thinking of ordering the same tyres.

TIA

Steve

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The new Motorhome arrived yesterday and I knew that I would have to replace the tyres because the Dealer was unwilling to do so. My peace of mind is more important than his profit margin.

There are no DOT markings on the Tyre Walls [Michelin Agilis Campervan 25/75R 16 CP] just E2 0006606 0213606S2R2. The motorhome was registered 1st June 2016, so my guess is that we have the original tyres, which might have been produced in about June 2013 [when the Fiat Ducato was manufactured?]. The tyres look in good condition [mileage 8775 since new], but it looks as though they are coming up for 8 years old.

Can anyone tell me whether my guess about the tyre age is about right, or better still, give a technical interpretation of the [limited] tyre wall data? I'm thinking of ordering the same tyres.

TIA

Steve
Have you checked both inside and outside wall for DOT marks?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nearly always on the inside wall as Gellyneck says check the inside walls.
There is no legal requirement to change the tyres on age so the dealer is within his rights but it's a great excuse to get rid of crap Michelin Camping Tyres. Got to be the worst tyres to fit to a Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Nearly always on the inside wall as Gellyneck says check the inside walls.
There is no legal requirement to change the tyres on age so the dealer is within his rights but it's a great excuse to get rid of crap Michelin Camping Tyres. Got to be the worst tyres to fit to a Motorhome.
Which tyres would you recommend, Lenny? I'll go and crawl under the van again just now to see if the inside walls give a clue re DOT.

Steve

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Try posting a photo of the tyre with details showing.

Now the more important Q is...did you sleep in it last night? Make tea etc? Bet your excited. Happy for you it’s now arrived.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Have you checked both inside and outside wall for DOT marks?
Thanks Gellyneck. I'm away to check the inside walls just now. I maybe some time ... :ROFLMAO: Both hips replaced but wear & tear setting back in. Perhaps I could book a refit of knees & hips to coincide with the Dealer sorting out the things he missed, and then I AND the m/h will be good to go!

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Try posting a photo of the tyre with details showing.

Now the more important Q is...did you sleep in it last night? Make tea etc? Bet your excited. Happy for you it’s now arrived.
Naw, didn't sleep in it. Fridge Control Panel fault not fixed, so Dealer to order replacement for delivery next Thursday and he will find an Indy Engineer to do the fitting, so suspect it will be a long wait! Spent most of yesterday trying to kill the fridge alarm and power problems, poking around EBL etc. by 8pm last night, I wished I'd never set eyes on the bloody thing!

But, today is a new day, so perhaps it will be more successful; any less successful and Elaine will have me on suicide watch! If nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie, I'm away to speak to Aunty Mary about where she keeps her canary ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Welcome to the joys of motorhoming. These things are sent to try us. At least you haven't lost your humour. :LOL: and your here in the right place for the Qs you need answered or helped with.(y)

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks Gellyneck. I'm away to check the inside walls just now. I maybe some time ... :ROFLMAO: Both hips replaced but wear & tear setting back in. Perhaps I could book a refit of knees & hips to coincide with the Dealer sorting out the things he missed, and then I AND the m/h will be good to go!

Steve
Can you wait until I'm coming through to my cousin's in Leven and I'll swing by for a laugh at you under the van? :whistle2: :giggle:

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Naw, didn't sleep in it. Fridge Control Panel fault not fixed, so Dealer to order replacement for delivery next Thursday and he will find an Indy Engineer to do the fitting, so suspect it will be a long wait! Spent most of yesterday trying to kill the fridge alarm and power problems, poking around EBL etc. by 8pm last night, I wished I'd never set eyes on the bloody thing!

But, today is a new day, so perhaps it will be more successful; any less successful and Elaine will have me on suicide watch! If nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie, I'm away to speak to Aunty Mary about where she keeps her canary ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve
When I was getting a new control panel fitted under warranty from Dometic for ours I got Dougie at Gem Caravans in Crossford to fit it. He's an approved Dometic fitter.

You'll better check that he hasn't already moved to Rennies old bus depot in Dunfermline (it's planned) though. Funnily enough was having a blether on the phone with him on Monday and forgot to ask!:doh:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Can you wait until I'm coming through to my cousin's in Leven and I'll swing by for a laugh at you under the van? :whistle2: :giggle:
You're too late! Half of Burntisland has the photographic evidence though ... (y). Sod's Law being what it is, the information was the furthest away from my reach, but it appears that the tyres were produced in Week 44 2015. Photo taken of a Michelin Man, by a Michelin Man wedged under the rear axle!

Steve

Attachments

• Tyre Wall Date Apr 21.jpg
    Tyre Wall Date Apr 21.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0
OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
When I was getting a new control panel fitted under warranty from Dometic for ours I got Dougie at Gem Caravans in Crossford to fit it. He's an approved Dometic fitter.

You'll better check that he hasn't already moved to Rennies old bus depot in Dunfermline (it's planned) though. Funnily enough was having a blether on the phone with him on Monday and forgot to ask!:doh:
You are a wee star! Just spoken to Dougie and he will be able to fit the Panel nae bother! Slight snag, the Panel won't be here until 1 week today and Dougie is off on holiday the following week, but hey ho! Move to new premises not until June.

When we catch up with each other, remind me that I ow you a drink! Thanks very much!

Steve

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You are a wee star! Just spoken to Dougie and he will be able to fit the Panel nae bother! Slight snag, the Panel won't be here until 1 week today and Dougie is off on holiday the following week, but hey ho! Move to new premises not until June.

When we catch up with each other, remind me that I ow you a drink! Thanks very much!

Steve
irnbru I've highlighted the relevant bit in Steve's post! (y)

You, obviously, didnae tell him I pointed you in his direction then!
btw just for info he's, generally, over in France for the whole of July as well.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
irnbru I've highlighted the relevant bit in Steve's post! (y)

You, obviously, didnae tell him I pointed you in his direction then!
btw just for info he's, generally, over in France for the whole of July as well.
Haha he can be excused for not having met you. You can be a big star, how that . (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
With a late 2015 tyre I would go on condition, tiny cracks in the tread groove etc and get a couple of years out of them if their good or splash the cash if your worried.
The inner walls look a wee bit scruffy, but no obvious splits or cracks. Trying to find the Production Date in a slot that could be photographed at least gave me the chance to look at the tyres in some detail! The m/h passed MOT on 12th April, ready for the delivery, so I would hope that the Examiner would have spotted any problems easier than I could crawling around in the road; but stranger things have happened!
Peace of mind more important; the m/home has only covered 8 miles since yesterday [diesel refill ...] so I would hate to get up to motorway speed and have the big bang occur!

Steve

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Is it fixed yet or imminently?:pray:
That will be the million dollar question. At least im getting a free full habitation check, full service when its next due and a full tank of fuel. Hope the leak does it fixed, I think it was the window but not asked them yet.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back