brian

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Dynamic
Exp
Since 2010
Hi We have recently acquired a different M/H. We are struggling to get the TV working. We are not very good at all in understanding the setting up of the existing aerial installation and in general which is the best way forward. We are only really interested in watching BBC and ITV. At the moment we have a 12/240 v TV installed. At the moment can be only used to watch DVDs. We do not have any boxes etc. We have a 600 dia dish on the roof of the van with an aerial cable leading to the TV. We also have a small (approx 110x70 mm.) flat white box attached to the outside of the van. this box has got two aerial cables also running to the TV area. Mark on it states it is MAXVIEW box. I cannot open this box to see what is inside. Question. Do I just buy a stick terrestrial aerial and leave it outside the van or do I buy a box (of sorts, no idea which) and use the existing dish on the roof. Also we have two power cables running to the TV one powers up the TV and the other used to be connected to a 12v jack I am assuming to be connected to a box. This cable is cut, also both cables are black. I believe this cannot just be just re attached to the jack cable without knowing how to ensure the polarity is correct. Not sure how to do this. Yes we are total idiots in this department and would appreciate any advice. Best Regards. Brian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Your dish will produce a digital satellite signal which either needs to be fed into a device which can make sense of it or into a TV which can take the satellite feed directly. My guess is your TV can't do this and the rogue wire you have was the supply to a satellite receiver.

If you think you might struggle to get it all working then it might be worth asking a local electrical shop, a proper one, not PC World, to have a look at it.

However, you might like to consider just ditching the satellite and fit a normal terrestrial aerial. Satellite is only really useful in a few remote parts of the uk or overseas although the choice of channels is now very restricted in most of Europe.

OP
OP
B

brian

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Dynamic
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you. I will look at all avenues to get the TV working before our next trip to Scotland. Having lived in Spain for the last ten years we we will only be touring in UK at the moment. Regards and thanks once again. Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well first of all do not fit/buy one of these DIGITAL ACTIVE OMNI DIRECTIONAL TV AERIAL FREEVIEW AND UHF/VHF/FM
Crap1.jpeg

They are more like a door stop than a TV aerial

these are not much better Broken Link Removed:
Carp2.jpg

and you will pay a lot more as well.

Then there is this which is getting great reviews Avtex STH3000 12v / 24v Suction Mounted Digital TV Aerial Caravan Motorhome LTE
:
Crap3.jpg

then lastly the rolls royce of TV aerial

These are what 90% of Mh and caravans have fitted, but lots of money:
Broken Link Removed
crap4.jpg

Hope that helps

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We also have a small (approx 110x70 mm.) flat white box attached to the outside of the van. this box has got two aerial cables also running to the TV area.
That box is an external aerial connection point.

One of the two sockets will be for a standalone sat dish, the other will be for the normal terrestrial tv aerial.

If you have a mast mounted tv aerial or tripod mounted sat dish then that is where you plug it in....saves having cables running through open windows etc.

The cable you are using needs a SATELLITE reciever, similar to a set top digi box, to work.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have just changed MH, used to have the Vision Status aerial mast Amp was ok but tedious. As we cannot decide whether to get a dish and if so which one, we have bought the Avtex STH3000, which is brilliant easily as good as the Vision alot easier to use and just as good reception if not better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back