Motorhome tour of Canada (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We have some friends who have never motorhomed but want to do an approximately 14 day tour (or maybe more) of Canada -preferably the Rockies and including Niagara.
They don't know whether to fly to Toronto and hire a motorhome or go on a more organised tour. They are used to caravanning here and in Europe so doing their own tour wouldn't bother them. Its just knowing how to plan a route to interesting places but not rushing too much
Any ideas anyone please?
Thanks.
Steph

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
C&MC do an interesting looking tour through the Rockies from Vancouver to Calgary or Banff.

Niagara is a long way from the Rockies and would probabl6 need an internal flight

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Don't know them personally but these
have done a canada tour & have a you tube channel where they have a few vidoes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Maybe there is a motorhome club/forum in Canada that they could look at.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Each spring Cruise Canada have brand new RVs that need taking to their destination depot . They offer a special one way rate which includes insurance and all bits and pieces eg bedding etc. The pick up point is Toronto and delivery periods are for up to a month and take your own route.
I have a list of current movements for April / May this year with prices as little as c$224 per week, obviously flights, sites and fuel are extra.
If of interest please PM me.
I am not connected with this company but have benefitted from this excellent deal.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
We're planning a non-mh holiday to Canada later this year and the Rockies and Niagara are a loooong way apart. You would need a bit more (maybe a lot more) than two weeks to be honest. We're spending about a week in the Rockies which seems to be about right. Calgary to Niagara is then over 2000 miles if you don't take a short cut through the US. Without rushing, we plan on taking around 10 days for that, driving for 2, 3 or 4 hours every day and doing touristy stuff before or after, a bit like we do in the mh. In our case, the journey will be broken up with visits to our UK neighbours, who have a cottage in northern Ontario, and to a childhood friend, who also lives in Ontario.

A round trip from Toronto would virtually double the mileage. I have visited Niagara in the past and wouldn't bother again but SWMBO has never been and I have a relative who lives in that part of the country, so we will visit.

One way car hire costs are high, but I haven't researched motorhome costs. When I did have brief look, it seemed that many motorhome rentals included limited daily miles.

My advice would be either to have two holidays, one to the Rockies from either Calgary or Vancouver and one to visit Niagara from Toronto or to have a longer two centre holiday to do both as separate areas. The drive across Canada has its attractions for us but I'm not sure it would suit everyone. You can catch a train across but it's more expensive than flying.

The other thing to note is that the Rockies have a relatively short season and I suspect campground bookings would have to be made well in advance, as do hotel, motel and cabin bookings.

Tripadvisor has good forums on Canada and many members on there will comment on a planned itinerary. One can learn a lot from reading comments on the plans of others without subjecting one's own plans to criticism or ridicule!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
flew into Montreal picked up hire car travelled to Quebec then back to Ottawa, visiting Kingston, Toronto, Niagra on the lake then to the falls then dropped hire car at Toronto airport flying back to UK. Great trip staying motels and b&b `s

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Canadian Affair are a good tour operator and you can get loads of ideas for tours on their website.
2 weeks isn't really long enough to do Niagra and the Rockies unless you just stay 2 nights in Toronto, get a day tour to Niagra from the hotel and then fly to Calgary and then home from Vancouver.
I loved the Rockies and it was really easy to drive over there once you're out of the City.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back