Motorhome take over at CAMC (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In this context it’s immaterial how many fires occur but the end result when it does and with 6m spacing damage could be limited.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Does it matter ? If the insurance company says jump or no cover what are they going to do
Just thought it would be interesting to see the real risk, e.g. is the insurance requirement based on just safe practice or real data.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Back to the title subject.
This thread kinda made me run a wee poll every morning when returning to the sites we were on coming back with the dug early doors.
Weekend arrivals \ departures - a definite majority of motorhomes. Around 67/33% in favour of motorhomes.
Non-weekend arrivals \ departures - a definite majority of caravans. Around 60/40% in favour of caravans.
Wonder if this is as a result of ease of short get away in a motorhome?:unsure:

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Currently on the C&CC site at Devizes. Clearly the motorhomes outnumber the caravans quite significantly. And the caravans outnumber the tents, only spotted. 3.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I read with interest the heated debate as regards evidence, my observation is that the CAMC is merely a business run for it's shareholders, I choose not to use that business many obviously do.
I would prefer the name reflected the true nature of the organisation, such as Caravan and Motorhome Company.
I appreciate running a true member's club is a thankless task having done it.
I have not personally seen objections to planning applications from them, however as a commercial concern it behoves them to protect shareholders interests.
Let them be transparent is all I ask, but they are not on there own remember the RAC and AA now multinational companies.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Any Club of any size eventually becomes a Limited Company presumably to limit personal financial liability. You mention shareholders and profits:

"9. Share capital and limited liability of Shareholders

9.1 The share capital of the Company shall consist of £100 divided into 100 shares of £1 each.

9.2 The liability of the Shareholders is limited to the amount, if any, unpaid on the shares held by them."

Taken from:

I have little knowledge in this area but it doesn't look like a profit-driven enterprise to me.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Who is supposed to pay for these "Aires"?
Land in most of the UK is expensive, local authorities already have too much demand on their scant resources.
Unless there is hard evidence that the cost of providing & maintaining such a facility is outweighed by the income generated, why would they?
Unless forced by statute, the risks are too great in most areas.
In most cases its not the lack of land most councils are in charge of acres of carparks which are empty at night
You talk of cost but in many instances its a small outlay for a never ending revenue stream

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We’ve just been on the site in the New Forest and there are plenty of MHs about. The site isn’t really close to anywhere, other than ponies! We went out in our MH every day but many had tethered their MHs to awnings, with ground sheets, tables, chairs, windbreaks etc. Each to their own!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Last week were were at CMC Tewkesbury Abbey*. I didn't do an exact count but estimated the ratio of caravans to MHs at about 2:1 which reflects the CMC membership. What stood out was a tendency for some caravans and MHs to pitch near each other in small clumps. Does this amount to tribalism?

[*The grass pitches were very firm and dry. No worries about getting bogged down.]

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Last week were were at CMC Tewkesbury Abbey*. I didn't do an exact count but estimated the ratio of caravans to MHs at about 2:1 which reflects the CMC membership. What stood out was a tendency for some caravans and MHs to pitch near each other in small clumps. Does this amount to tribalism?

[*The grass pitches were very firm and dry. No worries about getting bogged down.]
You see that at the shows, vans all camping together

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
In most cases its not the lack of land most councils are in charge of acres of carparks which are empty at night
You talk of cost but in many instances its a small outlay for a never ending revenue stream
If a car park is designed for the weight of a car it probably will be damaged by extensive motorhome use

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
In normal times I always thought of June as pensioners and pushchairs as it was not the school holidays yet. Would caravaning be more family than pensioners ?

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Not true
There are quite a few EVs capable of towing namely the
Tesla x
Polestar
Kia ioniq 5
Nissan Ariya
All have decent towing capacities capable of handling an average family 4 berth caravans at 1500kg

caravans sales will continue to be buoyant and will still be popular as more Electric cars become available with towing capabilities
And the range is what please???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back