Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Anyone skied in Italy with their Motorhome and where did you ski/stay? Looking to go through Mont Blanc tunnel so Cervinia and Aosta valley resorts, plus wider area from that entry point would be of interest, thanks in advance for any tips on where to stay - generally prefer aires or wild camping spots/tolerated lift station parking to campsites but will be grateful for any tips at all

Apologies for duplicating this question on the FB group page, different audiences I suspect

Cheers, Ruth

OP
OP
ruthiebabe

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Hiya, well let’s keep trying, have just found on camperstop an aire near Cervini so that’s a start - anyone been?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Yes we have been skiing in Italy. Where is it you would like to go? We have been to Livigno which is our favourite but also Siestierre. Livigno has a campsite Siestierre has an aire although it was out of order for water when we got there so had free electric.

OP
OP
ruthiebabe

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Hi Paul, as above thinking of Cervinia and Acosta area however Livigno has piqued an interest. Did you mean Sestriere by th sway, if so we know that from visits to Montgenevre.

Have you driven to Livigno if so what route any tips appreciated. Also have you been to anywhere else nearby? Bormio?

We didn’t think we could go this year but are fed up to think it’s the best snow for ages so have that sorted, hopefully.

Lots of experience of French resorts less of Italy so another question - as there are no actual half term holidays in Italian schools is it a lot more doable in late February/ first week in March? I know weekends get busy in Italy but what about midweek.? In France the school hols aren’t over until 11 March this year, a bit off putting.

Apr 5, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2016
Livigno snow this year is fantastic, however I had a nasty fall and have injured myself quite badly. I've skied there every year for over 20 years many times twice a year. We drive down regularly, it takes about 11 - 13 hours from Calais. However there are things you need to plan, like the train through from Switzerland (near Klosters) to Saglians https://www.rhb.ch/en/car-transporter and then the Munt la Schera tunnel into Livigno. https://www.livigno.eu/en/tunnel-munt-la-schera-landing The tunnel operates on a timetable, eg Saturday morning exit Livigno only until a certain time then it switches to inbound only for several hours. So you need to time the tunnel to get there at the right time. The easiest thing is to travel on a Friday, which is what we try and do. The skiing is great and the food fab. Alcohol and fuel VERY cheap. One word of warning though, arrive almost empty and then fill up AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE with local fuel which contains additives to ensure that your engine doesn't freeze up..... enjoy

Apr 5, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2016
Should have mentioned that we normally drive in a landcover to Italy, but may take the MOHO next year. There is a lovely site in town with sauna etc....

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Livigno is our favourite, we have been in the summer and the winter using different routes. We have been on the train as above but there are other routes too out through Bormio on some tight but nice passes (we have a big van but manage).

In all the years we have been we have never not had decent snowfall, suffered a few whiteouts but the site we stay on Camping pemont has a sauna room/ wellness facility and tbh I always end up as an alcoholic when we go there as it's so cheap and I mean cheap 4e for a litre of Jack Daniels :)

We have been there in the summer too and its still nice. We have done a few smaller resorts in Italy but in our opinion you are hard pushed to beat Livigno. But in 24 days we are off for 2 and a half weeks of snowfun in Montgeneve and Sierre Chevalier.

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Another vote for Livigno here - drove there last March via the verreina road train in Switzerland. A great stop is Lucerne which gives you a 4-5hr run to Livigno.

Decent skiing, 3 euros a beer even on the mountain! Food & drink in villages equally as cheap.

We also stayed at camping Pemont & made use of their spa facilities - 10AMP hook up available.

If it wasnt for my wife taking on a new job we'd probably be there now!

Less than 10 mins walk to lifts & ski lockers.

Cervina has good skiing but we ruled it out as Livigno sites better situated.

Oh, and your MH will fit in the Munt le Schetta tunnel - not tight at all even though the max width seems narrow!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back