Motorhome service points (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just back from a weekend away "wild camping" at Glenelg, and jolly lovely it was too. Anyway, after too much eating, drinking and um, elimination, the loo was filing fast and we got to wondering if there's a good list/website/app of motorhome service points in the country.

It would be nice if membership of one of the camping clubs would entitle one to free waste disposal at any of their sites but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there an up to date list anywhere?

Tim

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have found that all the Calmac ferry terminals we have used have an option to dump there, even if not travelling

out of interest what did you do with yours?

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we have found that all the Calmac ferry terminals we have used have an option to dump there, even if not travelling

out of interest what did you do with yours?

Chucked it down my mum's loo when we got back to Glasgow. :roflmto:

Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
loo

We use to have the same problem ,but we got a spear cassette toilet just in case the cassette in use got full and we change it for the spear one till a place were could empty it properly .::bigsmile:

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We use to have the same problem ,but we got a spear cassette toilet just in case the cassette in use got full and we change it for the spear one till a place were could empty it properly .::bigsmile:

Good idea but a bit pricy! Where did you get your spare cassette?

Tim

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Good idea but a bit pricy! Where did you get your spare cassette?

Tim
We got from a company from EBAY for £89 and it came with a toilet seat and lid and two cleaning fluids bran new in a box sealed (sorry can,t remember the company name

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We got from a company from EBAY for £89 and it came with a toilet seat and lid and two cleaning fluids bran new in a box sealed (sorry can,t remember the company name

Ah yes, seen those kits. The Aberdonian in me is looking for a cheaper option. ::bigsmile: May start visiting breakers yards.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010

I didn't know that. I knew there was one at the Leverburgh terminal on Harris but thought it was a one off. Great info - thanks.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we have found that all the Calmac ferry terminals we have used have an option to dump there, even if not travelling.

Should have thanked you for this tip. Could be very handy. Cheers!

Tim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It would be nice if membership of one of the camping clubs would entitle one to[HI] free waste disposal[/HI] at any of their sites but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Tim

nothing is free Tim.. not even disposing of waste.. someone has to pay ..

why not join one of the clubs .. ?

basic CLs are reasonably cheap.. around £7 .. maybe less. You can also fill up with fresh water and dump both grey & black waste..

with a second cassette wou could last almost a week.. one night in six wouldn't break the bank.. and also help the local economy ..

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
You can also use the ones at Link Removed (£7.10) - that includes using showers etc for 3 hours, don't think the CC do this yet, no doubt someone will correct me!

Cheers

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You can also use the ones at Link Removed (£7.10) - that includes using showers etc for 3 hours, don't think the CC do this yet, no doubt someone will correct me!

Cheers

I saw this. £7 to empty your loo is, um, taking the p*ss if you ask me! :roflmto:

Tim

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
nothing is free Tim.. not even disposing of waste.. someone has to pay ..

why not join one of the clubs .. ?

We are already members of the Caravan Club and I'm happy to pay a reasonable fee but the CC don't offer waste disposal as a service to passing members.

basic CLs are reasonably cheap.. around £7 .. maybe less. You can also fill up with fresh water and dump both grey & black waste..

Charging as much for emptying as a full night's stay seems daft to me. Bound to encourage unscrupulous types to illegally dump their cassette contents.

with a second cassette wou could last almost a week.. one night in six wouldn't break the bank.. and also help the local economy ..

Oh I'm not averse to helping the local economy but given that we all already pay our water companies for water and sewage (for facilities that we're not using at home whilst we're on our travels), it would seem not unreasonable for water companies/councils to provide facilities for tourers at a reasonable fee. Depends on what you consider "reasonable" I suppose.

I think we'll probably go down the "second cassette" route.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Charging as much for emptying as a full night's stay seems daft to me.

I meant you could stay the night .. not just drive in and dump..

Oh I'm not averse to helping the local economy

so which statement is true .. ?

a) I don't want to pay for dumping ...
b) I'm not averse to helping local economy .. (ie using a CL for one night. )

Also , it's not just water and sewage rates to pay for.. Service points cost money to build and maintain.. who do you want to pay for the building and upkeep,.. local councils? ie local people .. how would they benefit.. ?

£7 to use services is on a par with many French aires, €12 - €15 is more common .. free ones are disappearing..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I meant you could stay the night .. not just drive in and dump..

so which statement is true .. ?

a) I don't want to pay for dumping ...
b) I'm not averse to helping local economy .. (ie using a CL for one night. )

Also , it's not just water and sewage rates to pay for.. Service points cost money to build and maintain.. who do you want to pay for the building and upkeep,.. local councils? ie local people .. how would they benefit.. ?

£7 to use services is on a par with many French aires, €12 - €15 is more common .. free ones are disappearing..

I don't know many French aires that charge you for dumping waste, be it grey or [STRIKE]brown[/STRIKE]black. The ones that do only charge €2 or so and for that you get 100+ litres of water to top up your fresh water tanks too. You don't need to stay overnight, many aires are still totally free to use, those that charge are rarely more than €5 a night unless you are using a busy coastal aire.
Sad that the UK is in the minority when it comes to providing services for anybody not wishing to go shopping in their free time!
Allan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't know many French aires that charge you for dumping waste, be it grey or [STRIKE]brown[/STRIKE]black. The ones that do only charge €2 or so and for that you get 100+ litres of water to top up your fresh water tanks too. You don't need to stay overnight, many aires are still totally free to use, those that charge are rarely more than €5 a night unless you are using a busy coastal aire.
Sad that the UK is in the minority when it comes to providing services for anybody not wishing to go shopping in their free time!
Allan

you are absolutely correct.. scrub everything I said..

all councils should provide service points free .. and sites shouldn't charge either

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Someone has to pay for providing the facilities, if you don`t, who do you think should pay,? sorry think that is a poor attitude, no wonder motor homers have a bad name in this country, if you can afford ££££££ for a motor home you have to accept all that goes with it.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Someone has to pay for providing the facilities, if you don`t, who do you think should pay,? sorry think that is a poor attitude, no wonder motor homers have a bad name in this country, if you can afford ££££££ for a motor home you have to accept all that goes with it.

I don't mind paying a small fee but my point is that in the absence of facilities, a number of campers and caravanners WILL dump their waste in hedgerows & ditches. Of course no responsible camper would but the reality is that there are plenty of irresponsible ones too (as spotted at Glenelg at the weekend).

Tim

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I agree that a problem in parts of Scotland is lack of facilities. We live here and we love it but if you want to go round some of the truly remote parts of Scotland you sometimes can't even find a CL.
We recently did a trip in the far west and there were some areas where there were very few sites and a long distance between them. I remember thinking at the time that it was a business opportunity for someone.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I agree that a problem in parts of Scotland is lack of facilities. We live here and we love it but if you want to go round some of the truly remote parts of Scotland you sometimes can't even find a CL.
We recently did a trip in the far west and there were some areas where there were very few sites and a long distance between them. I remember thinking at the time that it was a business opportunity for someone.

if you are wild camping in areas like this and not carpark camping then a spade and a hole dug in the ground and the bury your waste would surely be the best option:Smile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if you are wild camping in areas like this and not carpark camping then a spade and a hole dug in the ground and the bury your waste would surely be the best option:Smile:
any one that dose not use chemicals that should not be a problem I don't have any concerns abut doing that
but some of the chemicals have all sort's of nestles in them :Eeek: thay can contaminate the ground water

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
We recently travelled up and round the top of Scotland and we were surprised and happy to see lots of well maintained public toilets which we used instead of the using the mh (except emergencies) If your out eating and drinking make sure you use their loo before heading back to the mh :winky: It's like being back at school when you were told go to the toilet during your break and not during class :roflmto:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just back from a weekend away "wild camping" at Glenelg, and jolly lovely it was too. Anyway, after too much eating, drinking and um, elimination, the loo was filing fast and we got to wondering if there's a good list/website/app of motorhome service points in the country.

It would be nice if membership of one of the camping clubs would entitle one to free waste disposal at any of their sites but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there an up to date list anywhere?

Tim

No, but there is a somewhat expensive paid version.

Link Removed

£7.10 gives you 3 hours to fill, dump, empty bins, have showers and play in the playground.

Bathsheba

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
South West England
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New-ish - had VW T25 before
Just been reading through these comments and - in my usual, easily-swayed way - finding myself agreeing with one point of view, then the complete opposite!
Then suddenly remembered how much I paid yesterday to put my car through the automatic carwash, which took approximately four minutes, the effect being ruined an hour later by a passing seagull...
All seems to fall into place now :winky:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I love that toilet map. They are all on railway station platforms, perhaps a bit distant from the car parking to carry a full cassette, even if you were prepared to buy a ticket to go nowhere!!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Yes, it would but they long ago ceased to be 'clubs' run for the benefit of their members and degenerated into money-grabbing 'businesses' instead. The £7.10 charge levied by the C&CC is ludicrous. I do not want to spend up to 3 hours hanging around on one of their sites - I just want to fill up with water and empty the toilet cassette. That's it - 15 mins max and I'm out of there! :RollEyes:

According to Broken Link Removed, Thames Water calculates that its tap water costs around 0.097p a litre. My fresh water tank holds 100 litres so would cost the C&CC less than 10p to fill. :wub:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back