Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
one must remember that the CC, C&CC, MCC etc do not own their sites they merely licence their use. We have a septic tank that costs me up to £320 to have emptied, never counted how many cassettes that is but needs doing every year. The point is individual site owners have these overheads and remain the same per visit no matter how long one stays for. A bit of spadework away from a watercourse and at a reasonable depth is one answer. We don't use chemicals so public loos sort us out. Using exterior facilities when you can extends the number of days between emptying.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
According to Broken Link Removed, Thames Water calculates that its tap water costs around 0.097p a litre. My fresh water tank holds 100 litres so would cost the C&CC less than 10p to fill. :wub:

Doesn't quite work like that.. think on it like this..

If you buy a bag of chips from a chippie.. what do you pay ?

£1.50. a bag.. weight ? 500gm (guessing)

£7 for 25kg bag of spuds..(maybe cheaper) .. so that would make 50 bags of chips at £1.50 = £75 .. so he makes £68 profit from a bag of spuds.

Or should he only charge 14p a bag ?

Next time I'm in I'll offer that for a bag.. . :roflmto:

Overheads, Running costs, Maintenance, Staff wages, etc etc etc all have to be paid for.. and the site has to show some profit otherwise it would be a charity..

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Doesn't quite work like that.. think on it like this..

If you buy a bag of chips from a chippie.. what do you pay ?

£1.50. a bag.. weight ? 500gm (guessing)

£7 for 25kg bag of spuds..(maybe cheaper) .. so that would make 50 bags of chips at £1.50 = £75 .. so he makes £68 profit from a bag of spuds.

Or should he only charge 14p a bag ?

Next time I'm in I'll offer that for a bag.. . :roflmto:

Overheads, Running costs, Maintenance, Staff wages, etc etc etc all have to be paid for.. and the site has to show some profit otherwise it would be a charity..

1. The 'clubs' have to provide all the infrastructure for campers anyway. When I stay on a site I expect to pay towards that. As a 'club member' who already pays around £40 a year for not a lot (other than 12 glossy magazines I can happily do without), I don't think it's too much to ask to fill a water tank and empty a toilet cassette for free.

2. Why should 'clubs' be making profit out of an essential like water? If you want to buy chips that's up to you - they're not an essential.

3. By one of this country's more sensible laws, 'clubs' are not allowed to make a profit out of reselling electricity - although of course they get around that one by calling it a 'service charge' or similar. :RollEyes:

4. Nowadays, way too many things that cost little or nothing supposedly have to be 'accounted for'. Would it really be so difficult for 'clubs' (for the benefit of their members) to say 'Of course you can'?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back