Motorhome satnav (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2014
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Granvia
Exp
2weeks
Hi does anybody use a app on the phone as a sat Nov where you can put sizes in for a motorhome, we have got a aguri sat nav but find it so difficult to use

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My experience with Sat Navs is to an extent you pay for what you get.

Given that a new motorhome costs as much as a house in some areas of the country, you need to spend several hundred quid on a decent sat nav.
Get one that is actually designed for large vehicles, or even a motorhome specific one.

I had a very good and fairly easy to use Tom Tom device that lasted 10 years where you could enter size etc. I see however that newer models tend to have the size option removed, as they would prefer you bought a unit designed for that size.

As any local of places such as Cornwall or the Lake District will tell you, you really don't want to be the idiot caught following a car based sat nav (or mobile phone app) when you are towing a caravan, or driving a motorhome or HGV.

1608380458442.png

Hence the need to display this sign ....

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Many on here , including me, use CoPilot.
Make sure you have the right version 'caravan' i think that allows you to put weights and dimensions in.
Works well for me but nothing is infallible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Keep an eye on the small adds on Gumtree. I picked up a Garmin 760 for £30 including postage from an old boy who was giving up his motorhome, its perfect.
Garmin 2.jpg
Garmin 7.jpg
Garmin 4.jpg
Garmin 3.jpg

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Many on here , including me, use CoPilot.
Make sure you have the right version 'caravan' i think that allows you to put weights and dimensions in.
Works well for me but nothing is infallible.
I have copilot but always cross check and plan the route as it does have strange ideas sometimes. Also run google maps on the phone as a back up. Use a real map as well sometimes

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Hi does anybody use a app on the phone as a sat Nov where you can put sizes in for a motorhome, we have got a aguri sat nav but find it so difficult to use
My aguri sadly has died. The charger that came with it was crap but once I replaced that the actual sat nav was brilliant, they're not cheap, so worth persevering imo. Good luck.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I find the MK1 eyeball does for me.

I don't trust Satnav's
If the road it wants to turn you down has no centre line or looks even a bit narrow - carry on. It will soon find an alternative.
Throughout Europe, in six years and 50,000 miles and I've only found 2 or 3 bridges that my 3mt van wont go under and only 2 or 3 3.5 tonnes weight restrictions.

WestiesOnTour

Free Member
Apr 5, 2020
Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
RV safari cheetah 38
Exp
RVing 11 years and caraving/motorhoming all my life.
I own a tom tom hgv 6200 absolutely brilliant.

You can put your weight and size in and will not send you down any roads unless the campsite is down the particular road.

Jason.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My Merc came with a Zenec Van specific Sat Nav.
I'm not impressed
It is not very up to date, despite being updated.

It also keeps telling me places "need a special permit" as they are deemed 'off road'
This includes the place I store it, (and ex campsite), the road to my mothers house, and surprisingly the road to my house, as there are 6' barriers around it, but not in the actual road.

It also tells me off if I enter supermarket car parks, and tries to direct me to the loading bays around the back !

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
There's an app for trucks, currently free, called road lords i've loaded it on my phone but haven't used it yet because of covid you should be able to find it in the play store. Worth a try.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I've got a Garmin 660 Camper and from time to time the image on the screen has the van driving across fields parallel to the road, wish I knew how to put it right, apart from that I love it.
In my car I've used a Garmin Nuvi 2445 for around 10 years and it's never let me down.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I've got a Garmin 660 Camper and from time to time the image on the screen has the van driving across fields parallel to the road, wish I knew how to put it right, apart from that I love it.
In my car I've used a Garmin Nuvi 2445 for around 10 years and it's never let me down.
Normally this is caused by your satnav not locking on to sufficient satellites, if your satnav is capable of using an external antenna that might help.

Dec 20, 2020
Mallorca, Spain
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Marlin
Exp
About 10 years
I use a free app on a 10" tablet. Even the maps are free!
The app is fully adjustable for larger vehicles are you can select road types/sizes to ignore.
I've driven all over Europe (obviously incl UK) and its never let me down.
Mapfactor Navigator.
Costs nothing to try it and only costs £6 as a one off payment to open up a few extra features (if you feel you have to have them) so I tell everyone, just give it a go, see if it suits you as it does me.

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Most of the ones I have tried (even the truck specific ones, sygic, co-pilot, road-lords) seem to want to send me down narrow country lanes, the only one that seems to work for me are OSMAND as it favours A+B roads first even if the route is a little longer. It's a little clunky looking but it's free and does the job.
Also I'm currently trying iGo, you get a 7 day trial then its £24.99 for lifetime maps for the whole of Europe, this one gives the option to select "easy routes" as well as fastest and shortest, again the easy routes are longer but favour larger roads.

M

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back