LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I've never known those maps to be freely available only from anywhere other than pirate sites though Jock
The Group that I am a member of Graham, (as are several Funsters) which provides the maps for members, advises against using the pirate sites, due to the possibility of bugs, malware ,and spyware.

@rogher. My experience with TomTom Truck Maps, whilst programmed as a 44 Tonne Truck, was to direct me through a gate and into a farmer's field, when I deviated off the A1M North. Fortunately, I had the good sense to ignore the instructions, knowing exactly where I was headed anyway. That wasn't the only occasion it tried something like that, whereas, the "Here" mapping has never done anything like that.

TBH, I am guilty of not trusting the mapping enough, when often I'll ignore an instruction because I think the road to be unsuitable for the programmed dimensions, only to find out later, that it was more than suitable. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
New van has built in Sat Nav, Tom Tom. I haven't really used it yet because our journeys so far have been to familiar places. I have a 7" Chinese Sat Nav that worked fine but haven't used it since I bought the Garmin 760LMT-D from Aldi in 2016. I haven't travelled extensively but it has performed well for me in the UK.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We purchased an Aguri. Great product let’s you add in all your vehicle dimensions, make additional choices on the type of route you want and lifetime updatable maps and data. What’s more if you have a problem, there’s always someone extremely knowledgeable at the end of a phone. Cost circa £250 well worth it IMO.
I have to disagree with this recommendation. I’ve had one for about a year and it just gets worse and worse. It keeps on stopping working and gives the message “ sorry the GPS function has stopped working”. Only way to get it going again is to reboot it. It freezes nearly every time we use it, particularly annoyingly just after setting the route, when it stays frozen for about 10 minutes. Oh and every few weeks when we turn it on it says “sorry I have lost all the maps”. We’ve had all the updates but nothing has helped. We spent ages deciding between the Aguri and the Garmin camper versions when we bought it. I made the wrong decision, wasted around £300. We still use it but have the iPad/iPhone always available as a back up using Google Maps which seems to be a better system ( though cannot programme in vehicle size/weight)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 8, 2017
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4
Exp
Since March 2015
Have you spoken to Aguri about your problems with the kit? If so what have they done to assist you?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Group that I am a member of Graham, (as are several Funsters) which provides the maps for members, advises against using the pirate sites, due to the possibility of bugs, malware ,and spyware.

@rogher. My experience with TomTom Truck Maps, whilst programmed as a 44 Tonne Truck, was to direct me through a gate and into a farmer's field, when I deviated off the A1M North. Fortunately, I had the good sense to ignore the instructions, knowing exactly where I was headed anyway. That wasn't the only occasion it tried something like that, whereas, the "Here" mapping has never done anything like that.

TBH, I am guilty of not trusting the mapping enough, when often I'll ignore an instruction because I think the road to be unsuitable for the programmed dimensions, only to find out later, that it was more than suitable. ;)

Cheers,

I didn't realise you were a member of a group Jock. Presumably, then, there is a subscription and they use the subscriptions to purchase legitimate copies do they?
I'd be interested myself but the software on the NozaTec unit I bought is pirated so I won't use it (suffered too many copyright breaches myself).

TomTom took a heck of a long time to implement the changes to the A1M around Ferrybridge. One reason I moved to Garmin.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Presumably, then, there is a subscription and they use the subscriptions to purchase legitimate copies do they?
You knew the answer to that one before posting it Graham. ;)

TomTom took a heck of a long time to implement the changes to the A1M around Ferrybridge. One reason I moved to Garmin.
When my TT720 had it's tizzy with me, it was a much simpler junction than that of Ferrybridge, ie, the A639 off slip for Pontefract. :LOL:

Cheers,

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have to disagree with this recommendation. I’ve had one for about a year and it just gets worse and worse. It keeps on stopping working and gives the message “ sorry the GPS function has stopped working”. Only way to get it going again is to reboot it. It freezes nearly every time we use it, particularly annoyingly just after setting the route, when it stays frozen for about 10 minutes. Oh and every few weeks when we turn it on it says “sorry I have lost all the maps”. We’ve had all the updates but nothing has helped. We spent ages deciding between the Aguri and the Garmin camper versions when we bought it. I made the wrong decision, wasted around £300. We still use it but have the iPad/iPhone always available as a back up using Google Maps which seems to be a better system ( though cannot programme in vehicle size/weight)

I think your problems are down to software. My Snooper always hangs-up if I go through a particular combination of two mini roundabouts, yet the Pioneer does not, both using the same data (supposedly). Snooper is OK when it’s working but has loads of programming glitches (some less serious than others). Pioneer is much more stable but neither interface is particularly intuitive. Roll-on voice commands.

I’d expect the best map data to come from the organisation with the greatest mapping resources, and they must require significant income to achieve that. Google may be up there because of the revenue they get from advertisers and the value of the data they retain from users. ‘Here’ has been around in one form or another for some time but cannot maintain maps for free, so I’m confused by some organisations being able to offer ‘lifetime maps’ for no additional charge (unless their equipment has built-in redundancy).

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Have you spoken to Aguri about your problems with the kit? If so what have they done to assist you?
No I haven’t. Having read some of the posts in this thread, perhaps I should. Does anyone have a good contact name/email/number?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have a Garmin Camper which we bought years ago when we had a caravan. We still use it alongside our on-board one which has truck software. Between the two of them they get us to where we want to go. You can enter your vehicle size into both and that's the main consideration for us.

Hope you find what you're looking for :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We have a Garmin Camper which we bought years ago when we had a caravan. We still use it alongside our on-board one which has truck software. Between the two of them they get us to where we want to go. You can enter your vehicle size into both and that's the main consideration for us.

Hope you find what you're looking for :)
Do they normally advise the same route, or do they conflict with each other?

Cheers,

‘Here’ has been around in one form or another for some time but cannot maintain maps for free,
@GJH. May that answers your question Graham. I certainly can't, because I don't know where the maps come from, but they are guaranteed to be virus free. :)

Cheers,

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
May that answers your question Graham. I certainly can't, because I don't know where the maps come from, but they are guaranteed to be virus free. :)
Here maps has a long history Jock (Wikipedia explains). Some companies, e.g. Garmin, started using Here when Nokia bought Navteq.
They licence their mapping to other companies for a fee and unless the group you mentioned is one of those companies (which, I think you will agree, is unlikely if they are not passing on the cost) then the maps are pirated.
They may be virus free but that is a different matter. Plenty of pirate software and data are virus free :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You need to wonder what motivates pirates to provide maps without charge. They still need to fund their lifestyle.

Sep 8, 2017
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4
Exp
Since March 2015
No I haven’t. Having read some of the posts in this thread, perhaps I should. Does anyone have a good contact name/email/number?
Customer satisfaction and after sales service is at the forefront of Aguri’s products. My problem with the Aguri was purely down to my technophobia and asking a friend (who is/was allegedly a “gadget whizz” and General Sales Manager of a prestigious make motor car dealership) to help me to set it up ready for our first trip into France and Spain. The conclusion was me and MOH sitting in the loading lanes at Portsmouth waiting to be loaded for the outbound journey to Santander and being told by Patrick at Aguri that my friend had “deleted” the data and maps from the device. I was mortified. Don’t worry said Patrick as soon as you get to Spain on a stable Internet connection I will assist you in reloading these. The most difficult part of that was finding “a stable internet connection”. Once found the download was done and Patrick restored my sanity. He de-assured me that if I couldn’t download it they would post another one out to Spain to me. It sounds to me that you have just got a gremlin in yours which I’m sure can be resolved if you just contact them. At least give them the opportunity of restoring your faith in their product.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Customer satisfaction and after sales service is at the forefront of Aguri’s products. My problem with the Aguri was purely down to my technophobia and asking a friend (who is/was allegedly a “gadget whizz” and General Sales Manager of a prestigious make motor car dealership) to help me to set it up ready for our first trip into France and Spain. The conclusion was me and MOH sitting in the loading lanes at Portsmouth waiting to be loaded for the outbound journey to Santander and being told by Patrick at Aguri that my friend had “deleted” the data and maps from the device. I was mortified. Don’t worry said Patrick as soon as you get to Spain on a stable Internet connection I will assist you in reloading these. The most difficult part of that was finding “a stable internet connection”. Once found the download was done and Patrick restored my sanity. He de-assured me that if I couldn’t download it they would post another one out to Spain to me. It sounds to me that you have just got a gremlin in yours which I’m sure can be resolved if you just contact them. At least give them the opportunity of restoring your faith in their product.
Thanks. I will do as you suggest. I just need to look out the emails from when I first ordered it

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
That sounds like great customer service @GROGGY64. (y)

Cheers,

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
Another vote here for the Garmin Camper Nav - just put in your dimensions and you're good to go. Update when you purchase though as it could have been sat in a Warehouse somewhere for months and be out of date a little.

I try to use a good old fashioned map for route planning and the Sat Nav for the final few miles as what can't speak can't lie.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
You knew the answer to that one before posting it Graham. ;)

When my TT720 had it's tizzy with me, it was a much simpler junction than that of Ferrybridge, ie, the A639 off slip for Pontefract. :LOL:

Cheers,

Work like a sailor, drink like a pirate

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Here maps has a long history Jock (Wikipedia explains). Some companies, e.g. Garmin, started using Here when Nokia bought Navteq.
They licence their mapping to other companies for a fee and unless the group you mentioned is one of those companies (which, I think you will agree, is unlikely if they are not passing on the cost) then the maps are pirated.
They may be virus free but that is a different matter. Plenty of pirate software and data are virus free :)

The fact that Garmin use Navteq, which is owned by Here, explains why my CoPilot came up with the same bad routing as our old Garmin Nuvi:doh:. I ran my TomTom Camper this morning (maps updates just expired) and it chose my local knowledge based choice of route, which was completely different to any of CoPilot's 3 alternatives :clap2:.

I have to say that CoPilot's response to my report has been excellent, if not entirely reassuring. I quote:
"I will let you know as soon as I receive the feedback from Heremap our Data provider.
Also, please note that you can report or submit map improvement to our map data provider by following these steps:

1. Use the link: https://wego.here.com
  2. Click on Feedback
  3. Select the appropriate box and write "

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The fact that Garmin use Navteq, which is owned by Here, explains why my CoPilot came up with the same bad routing as our old Garmin Nuvi:doh:. I ran my TomTom Camper this morning (maps updates just expired) and it chose my local knowledge based choice of route, which was completely different to any of CoPilot's 3 alternatives :clap2:.

I have to say that CoPilot's response to my report has been excellent, if not entirely reassuring. I quote:
"I will let you know as soon as I receive the feedback from Heremap our Data provider.
Also, please note that you can report or submit map improvement to our map data provider by following these steps:

1. Use the link: https://wego.here.com
  2. Click on Feedback
  3. Select the appropriate box and write "
Garmin use Here maps. As I said, they started using Here when Nokia bought Navteq.
I've had similar responses from Garmin to mapping errors as you had from CoPilot.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Do they normally advise the same route, or do they conflict with each other?

Cheers,

@GJH. May that answers your question Graham. I certainly can't, because I don't know where the maps come from, but they are guaranteed to be virus free. :)

Cheers,

In the main they agree with each other. You may get the odd junction where one says go right, the other left, but its usually because they take a slightly different route round, say, a village. So far... touch wood! we haven't been led into tight spots.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think that all SatNavs will get you to the destination you enter, one way or another. Some may take a different route because they use different parameters.

The useful ones will allow you to make a detour (eg for a road closure) without returning you to the point where you left the route, and with an intuitive command structure. Or take you to a garage/store with minimum deviation from your intended route.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You need to wonder what motivates pirates to provide maps without charge. They still need to fund their lifestyle.
The sites which supply the pirate maps and software are usually run and supported by people who don't think others should profit by their endeavours.
They crack the security as a hobby and believe they are quite justified in breaching copyright, despite all the work that goes into creating the software/data.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
. Roll-on voice commands.

I wouldn't be so sure :(.

Our TT GoPro 6200, on more than one occasion, has blanked the map and said "I didn't understand that instruction", when in reality we have just been chatting as we go along :whistle: .

To make matters worse, on a few occasions its happened just as we approach an awkward junction:
no map, no voice instructions = PANIC! :eek: .

We've switched voice instructions off to avoid this happening in future :rolleyes: .

Gordon

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think that all SatNavs will get you to the destination you enter, one way or another. Some may take a different route because they use different parameters.

The useful ones will allow you to make a detour (eg for a road closure) without returning you to the point where you left the route, and with an intuitive command structure. Or take you to a garage/store with minimum deviation from your intended route.

The problem for me last Wed was that the two routes chosen by CoPilot and Garmin were not suitable for a MH being close to single track in several places. One section had a 6' 6" Restriction!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back