LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
My mate took his van for service and hab check to his dealers on Thursday, whilst speaking to staff they said they had sold 105 vans last month all virtually, the best month sales they have had.
He noticed in the sales area two used 2018 Auto Trail Imala's which is what he has, both with sold signs on at £55k which is more than what he paid after negotiation when he bought his new in 2018.
Obviously they could have been sold for less (You would hope the buyers negotiated) but I don't think there will be that much negotiation if they are selling that many.
On a different tangent my neighbor saw some second hand garden furniture this week on FB marketplace for £350 so within minutes he contacted and said he would give him £300 cash and would pick up immediately. (His mum and dad are coming round for a BBQ Easter Sunday first time been together in 5 months as him, wife and child had Covid over Xmas so couldn't see them) The guy didn't come back to him so he re contacted him and was told he had withdrawn it because there was that much interest and was re listing it for £500??.
Supply and demand I suppose.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Excellent news if that means we are (mostly) all a little wealthier.

My mh will be offered for sale in the next few days through MotorhomeDepot. So far selling it has been just as exciting as when I bought it. Of course, time will tell... 😄

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Last week I was offered a good price from my dealer, big shortage of vans this year & very high demand....tempting tbh

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Passed a dealer on the A583 west of Preston yesterday on my way home and the forecourt was a sea of white vans. I was expecting to see an expanse of black tarmac. What's going on? (The dealership was closed of course.)

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Ive heard that fiat chassis are like rocking horse crap at the moment, because Italy are well behind in production. So anyone ordering a new one will be 12 months plus.

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
We are ordering a new Niesmann Bischoff and have been told delivery SHOULD be the end of the year which means at least if it gets delayed we should see it by Easter 2022 for the new season. The dealer have agreed a trade in price for November for our current Carthago but the way things are going I may advertise it for sale from the end of September on, I’m sure it’s worth more then we are getting.
Thanks

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My friend is looking for a motorhome around £12-15k if anyone is selling soon.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
We’ve listed ours today in the MHF classified as our new vans productions progressing as hoped. So fingers crossed we find a happy new owner 🙂

Aug 23, 2012
Newburgh
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
8 yr
Excellent news if that means we are (mostly) all a little wealthier.

My mh will be offered for sale in the next few days through MotorhomeDepot. So far selling it has been just as exciting as when I bought it. Of course, time will tell... 😄
Do MotorhomeDepot offer fair price? Would you recommend them. I’ve place Ad on here and autotrader, new van ready end of May.

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
Can't understand for the life of me why anyone would use motorhome depot .......just sell it yourself and save about £4K in commission fees

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I've used them twice and on each occasion they sold my mh at a higher price than I would have considered and in a matter of days. Note, they don't buy the mh from you, they act as a broker and sell the mh for you at a price you agree with. Much the same way as expensive yatchs are sold.

Benefits are they advertise widely, they handle all queries, they accept all manner of part exchange (cars, motorcycles, mh etc), they introduce buyers to finance, they manage handover, they will deliver anywhere in the country. This means they attract buyers that simply couldn't buy a mh privately. All within the commission which is agreed up front.

Strongly recommended

Yes, you could do it all yourself but in my experience I've netted more from the sale than I would have expected on my own, and it's entirely painless.

Last edited:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I've used them twice and on each occasion they sold my mh at a higher price than I would have considered and in a matter if days. Note, they don't buy the mh from you, they act as a broker and sell the mh for you at a price you agree with. Much the same way alexoebsicevyatchs are sold.

Benefits are they advertise widely, they handle all queries, they accept all manner of part exchange (cars, motorcycles, mh etc), they introduce buyers to finance, they manage handover, they will deliver anywhere in the country. All within the commission which is agreed up front.

Yes, you could do it all yourself but in my experience I've netted more from the sale than I would have expected on my own, and it's entirely painless.
So your Cliff as gone then Lucky?

Mar 18, 2021
Brixham the English riviera
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I got an email from my dealership asking me "if you're not using it we'll buy it back" bloody hell we only bought it last july and it's sat on the drive for 7 months because if covid!

DBop

Free Member
Dec 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A Moho I bought last year for £33k (I only had it for 2.5 months) I see another dealer has sold for £36k.... a year older and a 3k increase! talk about a buoyant market.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Can't understand for the life of me why anyone would use motorhome depot .......just sell it yourself and save about £4K in commission fees
They load their commission on top of what you would get, so a buyer is paying extra with no warranty or come back.
They are a bunch of 🐄👨‍👦

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Sold mine via motorhomedepot this morning (bit sad but hey ho) A 2 1/2 year old van .....been up for sale 5 days 4 calls as far as I know, 1st was a no show yesterday (but called to say) 1st person that viewed this morning bought and another was due to visit tonight.

I told them the price I wanted and they loaded theirs on top, the guy offered a little less, and we split the difference, I was there the whole time.

I think they made good bloody money for what they do, but I just CBA messing with tyre kickers etc, they did all that and I got a fraction under what I told them was my target.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
It is frustrating seeing what they don't do for their mark up and how much you have left on the table.
Mine was sold within the hour of me delivering it to their yard. I first thought at £7,500 MU but it was in fact £8k.
Been in business long enough to understand what direct and indirect cost's are.
I also bought a brand new van from them that went a full 16 miles before it packed in. So they have the profit on my P X and the new van paid in full and left us with nowt but to claim our rights.:cry:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
It is frustrating seeing what they don't do for their mark up and how much you have left on the table.
Mine was sold within the hour of me delivering it to their yard. I first thought at £7,500 MU but it was in fact £8k.
Been in business long enough to understand what direct and indirect cost's are.
I also bought a brand new van from them that went a full 16 miles before it packed in. So they have the profit on my P X and the new van paid in full and left us with nowt but to claim our rights.:cry:
Yeah been there done that, though I do agree they have to make their moeny.

This was different, I went though a broker who asked what I wanted then stuck their own margin on top. They deal with the calls etc, hes even going 50 miles to collect the "customer" to pick up the van tomorrow, but hes still made good money out of it. Its how most expensive boats are sold via brokers.
I dont mind anyone making a living, but part ex can leave a little bad tasted sometimes.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Sold mine via motorhomedepot this morning (bit sad but hey ho) A 2 1/2 year old van .....been up for sale 5 days 4 calls as far as I know, 1st was a no show yesterday (but called to say) 1st person that viewed this morning bought and another was due to visit tonight.

I told them the price I wanted and they loaded theirs on top, the guy offered a little less, and we split the difference, I was there the whole time.

I think they made good bloody money for what they do, but I just CBA messing with tyre kickers etc, they did all that and I got a fraction under what I told them was my target.
Are you replacing or giving up or just pausing to draw breath?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
This gist of this thread reminded me of fairly impecunious days now long past when I would never have dreamt of buying or selling anything using a dealer, always buying and selling privately and willing to (or maybe having to) accept the risks.
Things have changed; family now grown up and secure, mortgage long paid off, decent retirement pensions and I just want to do a simple deal without advertising, long phone calls with dreamers, then waiting in for possible buyers who may or may not show up, then patiently demonstrating that and how everything works and taking them out for a test drive prior to them making a derisory offer, or leaving 'to think about it' never to be heard of again. If the sale goes ahead I really don't want to worry about dodgy payment or confrontations six weeks later in the middle of my Sunday lunch about the fridge 'packing up' or the heavy steering or the leaking toilet.
Of course no-one has to use a dealer or broker. I've no interest in how much a dealer gets for mine and they make a living at it but that's not my point; it's just that nowadays it suits me.

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Are you replacing or giving up or just pausing to draw breath?
Was looking at a burstener Elegance to keep for a good few years for us both to do good trips.
But Ive also got my self a LWB Transit just for me and the dogs for weekends when the Boss is doing other things :).
Ill be in the tranny with the golf clubs, fishing rod and 2 jack russells, now the schools have gone back :) Oh and my laptop, I can work out a lot of the time

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
This gist of this thread reminded me of fairly impecunious days now long past when I would never have dreamt of buying or selling anything using a dealer, always buying and selling privately and willing to (or maybe having to) accept the risks.
Things have changed; family now grown up and secure, mortgage long paid off, decent retirement pensions and I just want to do a simple deal without advertising, long phone calls with dreamers, then waiting in for possible buyers who may or may not show up, then patiently demonstrating that and how everything works and taking them out for a test drive prior to them making a derisory offer, or leaving 'to think about it' never to be heard of again. If the sale goes ahead I really don't want to worry about dodgy payment or confrontations six weeks later in the middle of my Sunday lunch about the fridge 'packing up' or the heavy steering or the leaking toilet.
Of course no-one has to use a dealer or broker. I've no interest in how much a dealer gets for mine and they make a living at it but that's not my point; it's just that nowadays it suits me.
agree 100%, similar to my story

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back