May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Was that before or after the honeymoon?
All practice makes !! Honeymoon ! (Deviating away from the original post ,) in Cliffonville near Margate, up 3 flights of stairs in this hotels , a rose and card beside the bed, we had travelled about 100 odd miles, went down to baR had a drink, looked like a load of thugs in there, went to bed it was so short me feet came out of bottom of bed, left hotel next morning cost me £17 a lot of money in 1970 went and stayed in a B&B up the road called the Ponderosa, that's how I remember my 1st night , well almost.🙄

Jun 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2015
Camper King told us they've sold over 50 in two weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Re the "Door Knockers"
We had a few callers asking if our van was for sale.
One very pushy.
Another time one left "we buy motorhome flyers" around the van.
When I traced the company they were path layers.
Police advised that we fitted CCTV which we did.
I've had two door knockers for my m/h in the past three weeks and whilst cleaning it in my drive yesterday a chap in a rough Crew-Cab pickup stopped to ask me if it was for sale. He then asked 'casually': "You'll be away soon then?" evidently fishing for info on my plans and the cynic in me wonders if he intended coming back to do a house clearance whilst I was away.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was commenting on where I believe the future is going to be
There are clear signs that it is happening already
General retail has changed beyond all recognition in the last 15 years

Look at the way the under 30’s shop, entertain themselves, live their lives.....

Hard to believe but THEY will be the 50-60 year olds in a frighteningly quick time đź‘Ť
I don't see it that way at all. The digital information age has transformed the power of buyers, and now it is much easier to "shop around" for everything and plenty more people willing to sell you stuff without the overheads that the High Street, or even tin shed, shops have.

When I last bought my new car I first looked at it at the dealer that I like to do business with. I then went onto Carwow to get dealers to compete on price as to what price they would sell me the same model for. I told my favoured dealer what I was doing and then asked him for his best price, which made sure that he sharpened his pencil. I did not make the mistake many do of telling him what prices I had got. It turned out his best price was only ÂŁ150 more than the one from Carwow, so I went with him because I knew he gave a good service.

Very different to the "good old days" where all the local businesses used to charge exactly the same for everything and there was no negotiation at all. I can even remember the Electricity and Gas Boards holding a monopoly on many items and you got it when they could be bothered to deliver it and at the price they said. Our first built in oven (very trendy in the early 70s!) had a waiting list of 6 months, but we managed to half that because the Mother in Law worked for them.

I know both of our grown up kids and their partners are very savvy when it comes to purchasing things at the best price. You have to be when you have the mortgages they have!

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
SNIP

Very different to the "good old days" where all the local businesses used to charge exactly the same for everything and there was no negotiation at all. I can even remember the Electricity and Gas Boards holding a monopoly on many items and you got it when they could be bothered to deliver it and at the price they said. SNIP

Why was there only one Monopolies Commission? ;)

Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
30 years caravan, 3 years MH
Hi Jim as a new member I find the articles very interesting, I’ve been a caravan/Motorhome user for over 40 years and the forum is an enlightenment, hearing the Disparet views of your members.
Regarding the boom in sales, I have just sold my IH J500 which I will miss but on researching a replacement( I think I’ve viewed every MH on the internet) in the last two weeks the increase in “deposits taken, sold and reserved signs on the internet have increased dramatically and it’s definitely a sign of increased activity, whether this is good for the MH community only time will tell. Keep up the good work. Maurice

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I also wonder about how many of these 'Sales' the dealers are reporting are only 'deposits taken', how many are awaiting finance decisions, so the dealer can get their commission on that, how many will fail inspections.

That's not counting the one's where the husband gets home and the wife screams 'YOU HAVE DONE WHAT?'

I suspect 40-50% of the Sales do not go through. But The dealers will not tell the public about that.

Geoff
This sounds more like the true situation.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I virtually met a pal on our monthly motorbike club Zoom meeting last night and knowing that he has a 'spare' 7 yr old Hymer (he bought a new one last summer before selling the first) I told him that it was a good time to advertise it.
He agreed completely, saying: "I put it on Gumtree Friday evening for what I'd paid three years ago and within two hours a chap phoned about it. He and his wife arrived at 11 on Saturday morning after a 110 mile drive, paid my asking price in cash and drove it away.

Last edited:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
I went to. view one yesterday and business is booming. No chance of negotiating (although they did mention payload!)
Are you sure it was actual payloads they were talking about and not “paying-loads” of money that is. Lol.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Completely unscientific, but my neighbour wants to have a m/h and sold his caravan on Sunday within two hours of advertising it on eBay and it was paid for and collected the same day. For whatever reason (he didn't say) he said he's having such difficulty finding a suitable m/h that he wishes he'd kept it.
My m/h is in my drive and in the past 10 days I've had two callers knocking to ask if I want to sell it. They seemed to be dealers looking for a bargain to resell.
Maybe you want to sleep in it for the next week or two as it’s not unknown for vans to vanish off driveways within a few days of cold callers asking if they are for sale, or at least review your security, maybe something we all need to think about with the high number of people becoming desperate to get their hands on a Motorhome for holidays etc, Judy sayin.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
It's the end of motor homing as we know it Townes buying vans leaving there crap every where glad my motor-homing days are nearly over.
the wont be a part of the country not blighted by them
bill
It’s surprising how many of the travelling community have changed from caravans to Motorhomes these past few years, so not all are Townes or regular Motorhomers. But I see where you’re coming from.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
I've had two door knockers for my m/h in the past three weeks and whilst cleaning it in my drive yesterday a chap in a rough Crew-Cab pickup stopped to ask me if it was for sale. He then asked 'casually': "You'll be away soon then?" evidently fishing for info on my plans and the cynic in me wonders if he intended coming back to do a house clearance whilst I was away.
Either that or turning up the day before you said you were due Togo away and having your van away fully loaded, makes you wonder.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Either that or turning up the day before you said you were due Togo away and having your van away fully loaded, makes you wonder.
It does and it's a bit unnerving. I have my car parked in front of it in the drive so they'd have to move that first - right under my open bedroom window. I had four or five cold callers asking about selling it last year and asked my local guy about fitting CCTV cameras but the Hive system he proposed was far more complex than I wanted (remote viewing and speaking to callers/snoopers via an iPhone which I don't have or want) that I abandoned the idea.
A Funster recommended a simpler DIY system which I am well capable of installing so may revisit the plan.

Last edited:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Haven’t taken delivery of our van yet, but my CCTV is up and running. (y)

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
We met three people on the Back of Beyond campsite who had bought their first motorhome - two of them new ones- in the last two weeks.
One glamper offered to buy our E510 Tiggy for several thousand pounds more than we paid for it...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back