Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi peeps, l've had a small but irritating leak on the roof of my Rapido.
It has been there for many years but doesn't seem to have caused any problems other than when it rains we get a small seepage of water coming through the hole where the arial cable comes in.
We've had a local dealer replace the outer cable cover but the problem still exists. New sealant has been put around all roof vents and fittings.
I'm at a loss as what to do next.
Is there a product, maybe a paint, that I could use?
tia Mike

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Is it a Status Aerial? If so, a couple of things to look at assuming the roof components (gaiter, mounting plate, mounting foot and foam seal) are all properly fitted and sealed-
  • it doesn't happen to be just condensation? The metal pole can get quite damp when heavy condensation.
  • if the water is dripping from the cable it could be getting in passed the internal seals inside the aerial tube. I think you can get a replacement set of these.
  • does it leak worse when the aerial is tilted to the vertical position? If so, this tends to make the second point more obvious.
  • if you're still struggling you could look to replace the whole unit. Later models of Status aerial have a narrower diameter of tube but you can get adapters to fit the existing hole.

Upvote 0

Adam b

Free Member
Jul 3, 2013
South queensferry
Funster No
MH
Auto cruise carrera4
Exp
BC5424D9-7568-4236-A4D6-46BBE5885361.jpeg
a friend of mine used this on to seal a Rapido roof

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I agree, it"s a great product, I've used it before, unfortunately they won't post to France

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks for all your replies. But if you read the original post I thought I'd made it clear that it is not the gland where the areal cable enters the van it is a leak/ hole somewhere else and what I'm looking for is a product I can paint on the roof

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
when it rains we get a small seepage of water coming through the hole where the arial cable comes in.
wasnt clear to me, I took this as to be what it says, problem round the aerial.
Other than that it coud be anything, seals down the side of the roof/side panels, letting in and finding its way to the aerial inlet, especially if when the aerial was fitted it made a dip ?
what do you call a small seepage? could be worse where you cant see, do you have a damp meter to maybe follow the run?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Yep, I have a damp meter and have checked all over the inside of the van, top to bottom, and the highest reading was 7%, which given that the van has been empty an no heating on for many months was about what I'd expect it to be.
Thanks for your input

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thinking of buying a damp meter, just for some basic checks and reassurance, anyone got one of these, or similar priced alternative.
Thanks in advance :
Moisture Detector MD Amazon product ASIN B003CSNV2Q
Got one of those and the guy who did our last damp check compared results against his "pro" instrument and the readings were within a decimal point or so of each other.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back