Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Road tax for my SAAB 1.9 TiD convertible = £200
Road tax for Diane's Golf GTi = £250
Road tax for the motorhome = £165

Value for money if there is such a thing in the world of road tax :)
Did it online. Took seconds to spend the money and the result was a reference number and a statement that there won't be a tax disc :)

Lets see how long before the smarty pants figure out a way around it. One Funster got a set of number plates from fleabay with no questions asked. Therefore if I find anyone else with a Dakota SE, then I could steal the number, reproduce the plates and probably get away with it for quite some time, just so long as the original owner keeps paying the required fees, gets an MOT and insurance :)

Now, anyone got a Dakota SE I can view :)

Shame they can't spend the road tax on fixing the roads, instead of wars, overseas aid, politicians expenses and the odd duck house for the pond :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That's exactly what I said, soon the amount of vehicles paying tax, ins, mot's will go right down as cloned vehicles get cloned, and cloned, and cloned. There will be one Dakota SE fully paid up and hundreds of clones lol.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a Fiesta Diesel road Tax £35 and a motorhome 3860 kg, Road Tax £165
A quad, That I use to work my woodland, road Tax £165 Strange that I thought as it only does 2 miles each way once or twice a week, to collect wood and logs.and work in the wood itself.
If I downplate the Chausson the road tax goes up to £230 but I could go into London, which I cannot at the moment. There are all manner of anomalies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have long been in favour of adding a few pennies to the price of fuel, pay per mile effectively then remove RFL

The more cars come out with lower RFL, (our new Mitsubushi Outlander £0 RFL!!) it wont be long in coming, or at least there will probably be some serious reform

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
You could get one of these for your 9-3, if you haven't already. image.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The trouble with that David, is that the likes of me who can only afford cars that have zero road tax would certainly not be exempt if it was added to the fuel cost. :( And those of us who desperately need our vehicles every day for looking after disabled people etc, work, etc., would be substituting those with gas guzzling cars that they only use occasionally just to posture. Well, I know what I mean. Sorry if I havn't explained it properly.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My BMW 320d M-sport £30.00, her X1 £145.00. SLK350 £280.00 The motorhome on a PHGV £165. I've always thought that adding the cost to fuel would be fairer - those that do a lot of miles would pay more than those who don't and those with inefficient engines would pay more than those with economical ones. Don't know how this would effect me personally but I think it would be fairer overall. It would also make a saving because there wouldn't be a whole department at Swansea to fund.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
The trouble with that David, is that the likes of me who can only afford cars that have zero road tax would certainly not be exempt if it was added to the fuel cost. :( And those of us who desperately need our vehicles every day for looking after disabled people etc, work, etc., would be substituting those with gas guzzling cars that they only use occasionally just to posture. Well, I know what I mean. Sorry if I havn't explained it properly.
You never need to say sorry :lips::h::inlove::*

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
You have a problem with Duck houses? :boxing: :wink:
Only the politician ones claimed on expenses :(

Now if it were a national drive to increase the housing for ducks, then it would get my vote (y)

Actually you need to come to my pad and listen to the ducks getting all frisky and vocal in the early hours!! Can't hear the cows moo for the noise of the ducks :clap2:

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
PPBear if you park next to David Dux de luxe at a meet you will hear the same noises I am informed :)
And webbed feet too, or so I heard (y):)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
But a WONDERFUL chef, they say...... except that Mike B is still in bed with food poisoning ... :)

Sorry detracted from thread...

Sshhhh - that is supposed to be confidential information....... :whistle:

And I'm in trouble for giving Dawn (both Dawns in fact) my cold.....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Ooops sorry Joy

But at the end of the day the tax is only a fairly small part of the cost of ownership, but I do see your point :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another way could be to make all the motorways and major A roads toll roads. There probably isn't a solution that will work for everyone.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Another way could be to make all the motorways and major A roads toll roads. There probably isn't a solution that will work for everyone.
But only after they fill in all the holes and craters first :Eeek:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can i be pedantic? well im going to be any way :)

Its Road Fund License not Road Tax ie it allows you to have a motorised vehicle on a public highway (i think)

Although i may be wrong :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Road Fund Tax/Licences have been a source of general taxation for decades!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
New solution by politicians who have read the thread.
1 Add money to the fuel tax as mentioned
2 Increase the road fund levy
3 Charge road tolls.
4 Add VAT to all the above at a higher luxury rate of 30%

Bowser

Free Member
Sep 8, 2014
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Can i be pedantic? well im going to be any way :)

Its Road Fund License not Road Tax ie it allows you to have a motorised vehicle on a public highway (i think)

Although i may be wrong :)

You had to ask !! ;-)

Yep it has not been Road Fund since the Miscellaneous Financial Provisions Act of 1955. The Road Fund was in existence between 1920 and 1936 when it funded roads, after 1936 all road building came from government grant the licence money went straight to the exchequer as general taxation and the fund was disbanded in 1955. We pay vehicle excise duty, and the disc was a vehicle excise licence that showed that the duty had been paid.
I very much doubt there is anyone here who actually paid into the road fund!!
One of them phrases that everyone uses, but is meaningless

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
New solution by politicians who have read the thread.
1 Add money to the fuel tax as mentioned
2 Increase the road fund levy
3 Charge road tolls.
4 Add VAT to all the above at a higher luxury rate of 30%
........And charge 42 ton Polish lorries for the privilege of using this country as a loading dock for their goods to America......(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They do now, there is a charge for all lorries coming into the country at Dover and other ports

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back