Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I went wife our daughter yesterday to collect a horse trailer yesterday,, it's gray metallic, and on the way home she asked my what colour the motorhome we have on order is. The answer is plain white due to the fact that was what the dealer had in the production line. I'm guessing that as a very large percentage of motorhomes are white then this is just the base colour of the build material

If we had the opportunity, we would have gone for a colour, although looking at the manufacturers options the colours you can get are limited

My question is, has anyone had a white motorhome sprayed and what is the consensus thoughts of having this done?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I'd say vinyl wrapping would be a much cheaper alternative to a respray these days?

One of our wings could do with this being done, have not found anywhere ti do it though, suggestions please, preferably sensible ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My guess is that the majority are white to assist (albeit negligibly) in the prevention of cooking the occupants...

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I went wife our daughter yesterday to collect a horse trailer yesterday,, it's gray metallic, and on the way home she asked my what colour the motorhome we have on order is. The answer is plain white due to the fact that was what the dealer had in the production line. I'm guessing that as a very large percentage of motorhomes are white then this is just the base colour of the build material

If we had the opportunity, we would have gone for a colour, although looking at the manufacturers options the colours you can get are limited

My question is, has anyone had a white motorhome sprayed and what is the consensus thoughts of having this done?
Having owned and ran my own small body shop ,i would not respray a brand new Moho , it will most likely devalue the moho and to achieve a top drawer finish will involve substantial cost ,vinyl rapping is fine but the material used is very thin and can easily be damaged . thats my two bobs worth(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
vinyl rapping is fine but the material used is very thin and can easily be damaged . thats my two bobs worth
I found the vinyl wrap I used to be extremely tough. The only two problems I had with it was doing it when cold causes it to break literally. And ideally needs 2 or more people for the big panels.

I did my first panel back in 2011 and it still looks almost as good as the day I did it.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I found the vinyl wrap I used to be extremely tough. The only two problems I had with it was doing it when cold causes it to break literally. And ideally needs 2 or more people for the big panels.

I did my first panel back in 2011 and it still looks almost as good as the day I did it.
I did a couple of high value cars ,a nissan GT (brand new) and a one year old ferrari ,they both looked the dogs dangly bits after i finished ,but the problem that they both suffered from was stone chips breaking through and exposing the original paint ,the nissan was done in matt black and the ferrari in a White with gold speckle custom type colour ,i took both cars to bits in order to do the job properly ,even tried a prototype with a Bently

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I did a couple of high value cars ,a nissan GT (brand new) and a one year old ferrari ,they both looked the dogs dangly bits after i finished ,but the problem that they both suffered from was stone chips breaking through and exposing the original paint ,the nissan was done in matt black and the ferrari in a White with gold speckle custom type colour ,i took both cars to bits in order to do the job properly ,even tried a prototype with a Bently

Ok. I haven't suffered from stone chips to be honest. My van is obviously higher than a car and I tend not to follow close behind cars or overtake that often. Nor do I go as fast as these cars are likely to go?

Also if it did happen I doubt it would be that problematic on a white wrap on white van? I am guessing the two you did were very low and the wraps a different colour.

Not disagreeing with you, just my experience is that the stuff it pretty tough for me so far.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We had the bonnet of our Bessaccar E795 sprayed a metallic navy. So useful when finding the van on site! And it actually looks really good. Just took the bonnet off and took it to a car sprayer.

Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, we had our MH sprayed last year, went for Land Rover. Strathclyde Grey very pleased with it, justtt. Waiting for. The graphics too. Be put on now. Our van is 8.1and we left the roof white to keep cool

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Hi, we had our MH sprayed last year, went for Land Rover. Strathclyde Grey very pleased with it, justtt. Waiting for. The graphics too. Be put on now. Our van is 8.1and we left the roof white to keep cool
Nice colour, if you don't mind could you tell me the cost?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the first thing that goes through my mind when i look at buying a motorhome that has been resprayed a different colour is, why? and what is being hidden?

Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
I can understand your thoughts Big1, the reason we had it painted was the vehicle was showing its age, it is fourteen years old, it is our home for the next five years and we wanted it to look good. We have red highlights on mirrrors, grills and rear valance which I think suits the grey

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Metal bodywork no problem. Painting composite bodywork plastic or fibreglass or the complex laminates could be very unadvisable. These materials need special paints which have flex and elasticity in them without which they would crack / split / or peel with the different weathers which causes expansion and contraction. The darker the colour the greater the heat sink which exacerbates the problem. Also consider dark colours could increase the MHs interior temperatures.

Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Alistair, I. Have tried to send a pic but no joy pm me your email and I will send you the pic

Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Yes Charlie,,I totally agree with you that is why I had it professionally painted with special paints to ensure the paint sticks no I left the roof white to reflect the heat. We have just come back from Portugal after spending 5 months there and no ill effects.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007

Attachments

• IMG_4246.JPG
    IMG_4246.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 102

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Interesting! As per @Gromett I've not had a problem in the past. Can I ask what the repair/fix method was for this?
If it's the same colour beneath the vinyl then touch up paint ,the Ferrari had to be redone at the front and paintshields clear film added to stop stone chipping

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back