Motorhome rental for France trip (1 Viewer)

Ness67

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Non-owner
Exp
This will be a totally new experience but next summer we'd like to rental a motorhome and travel through France - just the 2 of us and our dog. Please would you let me have recommendations for the best company to hire from. I'm thinking it'd be easier to rent in France so that we will be driving a left-hand drive vehicle ...? I'm sure I'll have loads of further questions but this one will get me started!
Thanks in advance

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You don't say how long you be hiring or when you'll be going. From mid July to end August is to be avoided.
My son and D in Law looked at costs to hire for a 3 month career break and it became clear that if they bought right they could resell and be better off than renting. In fact they did so and sold it for £1800 more than they paid for it (£19,000) after a 9,500 mile European tour from Scandinavia to Italy, across the South of France into Spain and back.
However, I've never found driving my R/h drive car and m/home (tens of thousands of miles in Europe) any problem whatsoever, even though I'm always driving solo. After all, everyone else is on the correct side of the road so you just follow them! Overtaking is the only time the restricted view ahead is a consideration but I don't overtake much, never being in a tearing hurry, and in a m/h you can often see over the top of the vehicle(s) in front. I never use AutoRoutes either.
I think your best approach is to make some enquiries to a French and a U.K. rental firm and compare offers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi and welcome!
Best thing right now would be to become a full member and subscribe, so that 1) you can ask all the questions you think of and 2) you'll have all the answers ... as well ... yoohoo!

Now, I will let you do the searching about "French Hire Companies" as I have not enough time in my hands to do it for you, but once you found a few, tell me which they are and I will find out all the answers you need in the right language.... French that is!;)(y):)

Amicalement
Frankie

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
You don't say how long you be hiring or when you'll be going. From mid July to end August is to be avoided.
My son and D in Law looked at costs to hire for a 3 month career break and it became clear that if they bought right they could resell and be better off than renting. In fact they did so and sold it for £1800 more than they paid for it (£19,000) after a 9,500 mile European tour from Scandinavia to Italy, across the South of France into Spain and back.
However, I've never found driving my R/h drive car and m/home (tens of thousands of miles in Europe) any problem whatsoever, even though I'm always driving solo. After all, everyone else is on the correct side of the road so you just follow them! Overtaking is the only time the restricted view ahead is a consideration but I don't overtake much, never being in a tearing hurry, and in a m/h you can often see over the top of the vehicle(s) in front. I never use AutoRoutes either.
I think your best approach is to make some enquiries to a French and a U.K. rental firm and compare offers.

I have to agree here. Purchasing and selling. It has its pitfalls in that any possible maintenance issues are yours to sort out but in hiring there is an immense cost for taking abroad and the mileage you use.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
Probably best to hire in France or if you have plenty of time hire in Germany. Before we bought a Motorhome we hired twice in Germany it was ½ the price of hiring in the UK. If hiring in the UK a lot of companies increase tye cost or stitch you up on the insurance if you want to take the van abroad.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If you rent abroad bear in mind that you may have to transport all your stuff to the collection point in your car - perhaps sleeping bags, pillows, sun loungers, clothes, shoes, boots, bikes, fishing rods, BBQ, umbrellas ;-)............
Some may not hire if a dog will be in residence......?
Needs thorough research.
M/homing abroad is no more difficult than at home (much easier in France IMHO with generally less traffic and loads of very good camp sites) but maybe as it's your first m/h venture a U.K. tour would be a more gentle learning curve? But I realise it may be a daft idea if you've sent your heart on going foreign.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Dogs and rental may be an issue ? not sure but worth asking early on in the process.

Good luck and enjoy, bet you'll buy a MH within 12 months afterwards:)

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We've just come back after 6 weeks and nearly 4,000 miles in ours. RHD, not a problem whatsoever
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
The problem with hiring it will cost you a fortune and it might turn out to be an old banger.
Just do what most people on the forum do and go ahead and just buy one. Your worlds your oyster after that.:D

This will be a totally new experience but next summer we'd like to rental a motorhome and travel through France - just the 2 of us and our dog. Please would you let me have recommendations for the best company to hire from. I'm thinking it'd be easier to rent in France so that we will be driving a left-hand drive vehicle ...? I'm sure I'll have loads of further questions but this one will get me started!
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The problem with hiring it will cost you a fortune and it might turn out to be an old banger.
Just do what most people on the forum do and go ahead and just buy one. Your worlds your oyster after that.:D
Both the vans we hired were nearly new both only done only 1000km. Hymer dealers are not aloud to hire vans over 2 years old. They normally put new van out on hire in April and sell them at the end of September.

Upvote 0

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
If you want to buy/rent a motor home in France, use this site Leboncoin.

The category you want is "camping car", you can then add in what regions you want to search and the max price.
Lots and lots on offer there, we bought ours off this site.
And you'll see ones to rent out also " camping car à louer".
By the way, 'occasion' means second hand.
Good luck, bonne chance

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back