Motorhome recommendation for work and travel (1 Viewer)

crow50

Free Member
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was looking for a recommendation for a motorhome to buy in the UK if anyone can help? Any brands or models to avoid?

I'm wanting to buy a motorhome as I might need one for work, I work on ships in the UK and some of the ships don't have accommodation so I'd have to stay in a motorhome.

I'd be staying in it during the winter months so it would have to be one that can stay warm.

Ideally it would be a small one, I live in the north of Scotland and would have to take it on some single track roads, also I'd want one that would have no problem going 70 mph on a motorway as I wouldn't want to hold up traffic and would want to make long journeys quickly.

Also would need one with a toilet and shower.

When not working I might take it for a tour with a friend or my brother, so it would be good to have one with two single beds, rather than a double bed. My brother surfs so an area to store a surf board might be nice but not essential.

My budget would be around Ā£15k for a second hand one, but could go a bit higher. As I live in the north of Scotland it would be good if there was one located in the Inverness area.

I was thinking of the one linked below, but it has a double bed and is a bit over my budget.

Nu Venture RIO

Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Firstly, welcome!

I think you may struggle, not because of what you need but where you live. If you want to use a MH in the north of Scotland in winter it needs to be winterised I think. By that I mean one with the water, loo and waste tanks able to withstand freezing temperatures. It will help if you are going to park on the coast so the temperatures shouldn't go too far into the blue zone but it will still get cold.

It is possible to fit electric heating elements into the tanks but that won't be any good unless you can get an external electric supply. A generator might work for that but would that be practical given where you might have to park? Otherwise you would need to find a campsite open all year. These may be scarce up there.

The smallest US RV you can get with a built in generator might work but you will have to accept some restrictions on where it might go. Otherwise you need to look at European vehicles, from France or Germany in the main. Finding one locally within your budget will be another challenge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
There are panel van conversions (PVCs) that match or come close to your requirements.

Many German and French conversions are well insulated and designed for skiing, especially if equipped with an oversize space heater (6kw, rather than 4kw).

But I think your budget might be the biggest challenge. Ā£30k is probably closer to the starting price, rising to circa Ā£45k for a modern low-mileage used model.

A few popular examples of well insulated PVCs with fixed twin beds include: Globecar Campscout, Rapido V68 (what we've got) and Adria Twin. All are 6.4 metres long and have a body width of 2.05 metres. There are other brands too.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Oh and belated :welcome3: (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I guess you're already aware that parking space and and an electric supply should be easy to arrange in shipyards.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was looking for a recommendation for a motorhome to buy in the UK if anyone can help? Any brands or models to avoid?

I'm wanting to buy a motorhome as I might need one for work, I work on ships in the UK and some of the ships don't have accommodation so I'd have to stay in a motorhome.

I'd be staying in it during the winter months so it would have to be one that can stay warm.

Ideally it would be a small one, I live in the north of Scotland and would have to take it on some single track roads, also I'd want one that would have no problem going 70 mph on a motorway as I wouldn't want to hold up traffic and would want to make long journeys quickly.

Also would need one with a toilet and shower.

When not working I might take it for a tour with a friend or my brother, so it would be good to have one with two single beds, rather than a double bed. My brother surfs so an area to store a surf board might be nice but not essential.

My budget would be around Ā£15k for a second hand one, but could go a bit higher. As I live in the north of Scotland it would be good if there was one located in the Inverness area.

I was thinking of the one linked below, but it has a double bed and is a bit over my budget.

Nu Venture RIO

Broken Link Removed

A PVC (panel van conversion) would seem ideal. But try to find one with onboard, rather than underslung tanks so they don't freeze.

I guess you won't be driving around a lot and scottish winters have little sunlight. You're going to need an electricity supply. Is that available?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back