Motorhome puppy (1 Viewer)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I'm sure you know puppies don't come house-trained..........
Also I suspect you'll be lucky to find a rescue home or a reputable breeder who will sell you a puppy if you live in an enclosed space full-time, for good reason.
Nonsense, I've had two dogs from reputable breeders, both from FTC bloodlines while fulltiming in a Motorhome and Caravan.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I'm sure you know puppies don't come house-trained..........
Also I suspect you'll be lucky to find a rescue home or a reputable breeder who will sell you a puppy if you live in an enclosed space full-time, for good reason.
What's this good reason?

Apr 24, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class Corado
Exp
Since 2006
I have a black Labrador and she travels everywhere in the Moho she has her bed under the fixed table and as soon as the habitation door is opened she is the first to jump in being a single man she is great company and loves all the beaches from the Peloponnesus to Portugal so do get yourself that doggy they make great travelling companions

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 123863D5-345F-4DA0-AF63-80885D8C3333.jpeg
    123863D5-345F-4DA0-AF63-80885D8C3333.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 13
Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Thanks monzer ,this is the character that changed my mind about gsd he gives me lots of pleasure, altho he can be a bit boisterous ,and smaller dogs like to wind him up but he generally ignores them ,great company to have ,cheers pampam

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I never realised how varied GSD's colours could be.

There is some pure black GSD puppies on gumtree near me. I am so tempted. Just need to plan time off work first so I can concentrate on spending time with the pups.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Yes theres lots of different coats and colours,his coat is rough but not long,and his dad was pure black, but he does have one ”fluffy” ear lol

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
When I got my fulltiming puppy I knew I wanted a Border Collie (I’d had one before). Rescue centres were too obsessed with ‘secure garden’ syndrome. The lady I bought Nix from thought that fulltiming would be a wonderful way of life for a collie - always new places to explore and people to meet. And she was right!

I was very lucky in that two of the puppies in the litter were not as photogenic as the rest of them. Nix and her sister Pandora were short-haired black & white, whereas the others were fluffy tri-coloured or blue merle. The others were snapped up quickly while Nix and Pandora were still there at 14 weeks old - the ideal age as far as I was concerned. I chose Nix for her calm temperament; Pandora was more of a handful.

I’m sure you will know the right puppy for you, and wish you both very happy travels. :Smile:

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I was going to suggest a border collie to monzer cos im just watching reruns of all creatures great and small lol (the old ones)i must be the only one in england not watchin football, i had a border collie years ago he was great (and not as big as a gsd)

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I was going to suggest a border collie to monzer cos im just watching reruns of all creatures great and small lol (the old ones)i must be the only one in england not watchin football, i had a border collie years ago he was great (and not as big as a gsd)
I do like collies but my time with sherpa has made up my mind, that and the fact I have grew up with GS's means if I get a pup it will be a GS :smiley:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I never realised how varied GSD's colours could be.

There is some pure black GSD puppies on gumtree near me. I am so tempted. Just need to plan time off work first so I can concentrate on spending time with the pups.

If getting a GSD try and find one with a straighter back.

Sable coats seem to becoming popular as well.

Good luck with your search

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we had our dog (Irish Setter) my Mum and Dad's next door neighbour had a GS. Neighbour told us to bring out dog round so Ross could let her know she wasn't automatically pack depute (I was pack leader in her eyes). Anyway we went round ... Ross was much bigger than she was. He looked at her, she looked at him, she glared at him, walked to his food bowl, ate his dinner, drank his water and went to sleep in his bed. Ross retreated to behind the sofa having failed to get underneath it.

I think we then knew who was the higher ranked...... no snarls, no barks no aggression just attitude. She was the same with most other dogs and only once showed her teeth when another Irish Setter got a bit too friendly towards me. Again no real aggression more a curling of lip and showing of teeth. low growl and a stare that Medusa could have used.

Even 30 years on I miss her so much and remember all the funny things she did. No more dogs for me though - just not practical and I can always borrow one for a day if I feel I want to :)

Jul 29, 2021
Somewhere in the South of UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
4Newbie
Hello everyone, we're just about to buy our first motorhome. Had a caravan for years when the kids were small. So my question is how do you keep dogs safe whilst driving along: having to stop suddenly but not wanting the dogs catapulting towards the front? We have 2 dogs, about Labrador size.

Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have 2 Golden retrievers so similar sizes. My husband attached a thick metal ring to the far end of each of the bench seats near the floor and we use a long lead looped through these for each of them which attaches to their harnesses. This means they can move but can't come past the cab seats. We bought the 3 in one leads because this means we can alter how much length they have by which ring on the lead we clip it too - which is useful if you want to keep them inside while you set up but not close the door.The younger one usually lies on the floor just behind us while the older one lies on one of the bench seats. It's not ideal because they could be thrown about but at least we know they wouldn't come flying through the windscreen and the harnesses would spread the impact of the jerk if we stopped suddenly.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Nonsense, I've had two dogs from reputable breeders, both from FTC bloodlines while fulltiming in a Motorhome and Caravan.
You were lucky then ,plenty of people who live in houses get turned down as unsuitable.
What's this good reason?
Any one of plenty.not enough room for the dog being one.
Hello everyone, we're just about to buy our first motorhome. Had a caravan for years when the kids were small. So my question is how do you keep dogs safe whilst driving along: having to stop suddenly but not wanting the dogs catapulting towards the front? We have 2 dogs, about Labrador size.
I fitted an additional seat belt anchor to an existing point so can attach his harness to that whilst traveling.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Will depend on the van layout. If you have spare travel seats (ie with seat belts), a internet search will bring up lots of options that use the seat belt anchor and a harness. One I wouldn’t consider is the one that has a strap around the headrest that attaches to the dog’s harness. No way would anything except a very small dog not break the headrest in a collision.

If there are no spare seats, you will have to be a bit more inventive. We have inward facing sofas immediately behind the cab seats and have a bungee strap around the seat anchor. It goes through the loop of a strong lead which is attached to our dog’s harness. He can sit and look out if the window or lay down and sleep (his favourite). He can get off the sofa but cannot reach the driver (the main insurance requirement). In the event if an accident he would hit the back of the cab seat, softer than the windscreen.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
You were lucky then ,plenty of people who live in houses get turned down as unsuitable.

Any one of plenty.not enough room for the dog being one.

I fitted an additional seat belt anchor to an existing point so can attach his harness to that whilst traveling.
No I wasn't lucky, I used to do a lot of shooting and beating. I bought dogs from breeders of gun dogs that I used to shoot with. It's not what you know...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back