Motorhome prices Post-Vaccine? (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Hi all
with an end to the pandemic in sight, I wonder what will happen to the current froth on the MH market. Will people be so happy to be able to take to the skies again, with heavily discounted fairs anticipated, that MHs will get dropped as quickly as they became fashionable?......or will current strong prices continue? Crystal ball gazing I know, but as I'm in the market I'm curious what your take might be,,,

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
About what is happening out there in the real world as apposed to just continuing too believe what they want

All the facts are out there
The facts are out there along with all the fake news etc
How I interpret the facts will be different to others
2020 has been crap but everyone able to post on Fun has made it through so far and a fair few have had a lot more to deal with than just getting their holiday trips scuppered
2021 folk will have learned a bit more about how to live with covid etc
Personally I think there is some light at the end of this particular tunnel

It may be just a train coming though :xeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
IMO, Once COVID is out of the way this place is going to be like the wild west, it will be a great time to start, run and or invest in business (y)
I agree with you on that point....a rerun of the "roaring twenties" one century on, is most likely imo. Savings are at an all-time high, and pent up demand I expect will create a spending splurge. I am not sure that motor homing will be such a desirable consumable in that scenario.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
OP was not to know then, but his opening words seem very hollow today, unfortunately.

Geoff
Despite the current variant strain causing a setback, so far, it looks like the current & emerging vaccines will be effective, with variations on the basic 'technology' possible (as in flu vacs.) I'm of course only reflecting what I hear on media and have no personal expertise on this subject!

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I agree with you on that point....a rerun of the "roaring twenties" one century on, is most likely imo. Savings are at an all-time high, and pent up demand I expect will create a spending splurge. I am not sure that motor homing will be such a desirable consumable in that scenario.....
All that banked money doesn't necessarily translate to a mass rush to splurge. I think people will be more discerning.

What Covid has taught (is teaching) us is that the 'rainy day' can come at any time. I would guess that, although, yes, people will restart their investment in their leisure time, they will retain a focus on their health and safety, and make decisions accordingly.

Being a relatively antisocial git, we opted firstly for a caravan, then a motorhome. I love new places, especially foreign climes, but I like my privacy on site or pitch. I invented the 3m social distance! I am not a fan of hotels, cruises, any public transport or crowded places (my favourite place in the world is a largely un-visited mountain in N Wales) so for me motorhoming is the ideal holiday.

I suspect that more and more people are going to factor in covid and get some sort of camping solution. Ergo, IMO those prices will go up and probably stay up.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
IMO, Once COVID is out of the way this place is going to be like the wild west, it will be a great time to start, run and or invest in business (y)
I think that will be true in some sectors especially those hit hardest in the pandemic I think theres a huge amount of partying spending holidaymaking etc pent up.
How long the boom lasts will depend on our economy in the next few years opinions will vary.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No, no, no Jim. :sicker:::bigsmile:

Have you just escaped from some Motivational Management seminar? :wasntme:

No I have never attended a seminar in my life.:) But people I admire who have done well for themselves in business, seem to have all those attributes in spades (y)

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
One thing that has changed in the last year is that a significant number of people have been working from home and that is likely to continue into the future. Two of my children, in their forties with young families work for very large international companies. Both those companies have effectively shut down their UK offices for the foreseeable future. Their way of life is changing. They can contact the Far East early in the morning, take their kids to school, have lunch with their partners, pick the kids up from school and get back to work with contact to the USA later in the day. All they need is an internet connection! My Moho on my drive has been used an office by one of them.
They are learning that they no longer need to commute into a city and could live any where where there is a good internet connection and that is where Motorhomes start to appear very attractive. The family can holiday anywhere whilst the bread winner can continue to work.
My crystal ball shows the possibility of a long term growth in the demand for motorhomes and a strong demand for good family sites with excellent wifi access. Is that a vision of the future? Recent history suggests probably not; the times they are always a changing!

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
No I have never attended a seminar in my life.:) But people I admire who have done well for themselves in business, seem to have all those attributes in spades (y)

Ah. That explains why I am not as rich as Bill Gates.

Motivation - Maybe tomorrow. Maybe the next day. Then again...
Determination - Yep I am determined to get up most mornings.
Focus - Can't see this clearly (see what I did there?).
Drive - Bike, Car, Lorry, Moho and Bus plus trailers, so fairly well covered.
Creativity - Dunno. Published author, but don't know one end of a paint brush from the other.
Authenticity - Totally. I am definitely me.
Ambition - No, never. Filthy idea. Gets in the way of hedonism, sloth and debauchery.

Back to the OP question, in gentle and respectful contrast to other, well argued opinion, I don't see the cost reducing for anything in the more self-contained, self-catering types of leisure. This includes trailer tents, tents, caravans, statics, boats and motorhomes. I would further say that if you are in the hotel, BnB, Gite, pleasure boat, holiday cottage hire business, then you will likely find it tougher, simply because people will expect unrealistic, yet guaranteed standards of cleanliness and sterility. Self-contained holidays are clearly easier if your focus is on maintaining appropriate distancing and only breathing in your family's germs.

So best get a motorhome (or a caravan, I suppose). The sad thing is that the demographic of motorhome owners indicates that many of them do not fall into the low-risk categories for Covid. There might be more available in 2021, for all the wrong reasons :frowny: :worried: .

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
They do look expensive for the year, a pal of mine is selling a 2017 Kontiki 635 self-leveling suspension 8,000 miles on the clock and was offered £44,000 off one dealer and £48,000 off another which I think he's considering so they will be making a right mark up on it.
A old post but worth saying, i am looking at a 2016 Kontiki 635 to buy, 20k miles, £60,000.
Wish i could go back and buy a few !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back