drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I have been reading a recent thread re gas locker size and after reading a comment from Vindiboy(I would also guess that Motorhome builders also make the gas lockers smaller because of PAYLOAD concerns as full gas bottles are heavy and so they force you to use smaller ones )
I am not sure that Motorhome manufacturers actually know what a payload is. Many of us seem to be preoccupied with payloads. I own an Elddis Autoquest 140. My point is that the leisure batteries and gas lockers are situated at least 4-5ft behind the rear axle. As the gas bottles are 2x7kg and the batterys weigh @15kg x 2 these being situated so far behind the axle this increases the weight of the items on the rear axle. If the manufacturers were to place these items between the axles the weight on the axles would not be increased. If the manufacturers were to take this into account in the building of motorhomes it may help us to stay within the law.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Being behind the rear axle will increase the weight on the rear axle, but will decrease the weight on the front one which usually has a lower limit than the rear one.

I could be giving the manufacturers more credit than they deserve of course.:winky:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Being behind the rear axle will increase the weight on the rear axle, but will decrease the weight on the front one which usually has a lower limit than the rear one.

AND add the lost weight, back onto the rear axle.

There is a calculator in this link, very easy to use and supplies hours of fun :thumb:

Link Removed (can never do the link thing !)

Rgds

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back