Free Member
May 31, 2014
Leics, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We've recently hired a Motorhome for a few days as our first toe-dipping exercise prior to diving in for a purchase, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

One thing that we did find out was the massive variation in available ( or otherwise!) motorhome-parking facilities on our mini-tour around Suffolk. We found a terrific car park in Bury St.Edmonds with parking slots marked 'Motorhomes Only', whereas at other places we made phone calls to Car Parking departments of local councils and were passed-on to three other phone extensions only to be told that we were 'probably' allowed to park there...! It seemed a confusing point whether we were a 'caravan' or not, and whether 'no overnight camping' meant 'no campers with the facilities to allow overnight parking, even if they only wanted to stay two hours in the middle of the day'...

Some car parks were clear that they accepted 'small motor-caravans' and even had height & length limits shown,that our 6m long motorhome fell outside, but at least we knew without the dreaded phone calling!

This all leads us to ask if anyone knows of an Internet site, or written material, that offers information on parking facilities in the UK? We can find several sources for campsites, but not for 'Day-Parking'. We appreciate the info would change on a regular basis as councils changed their policies...

Thanks a lot!

Mark & Elaine

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thank you Steve.

The site was revamped just over a year ago, Mark, to link (as far as possible) to information published on councils' own web sites. That means that it should be up to date more often than not. See notes on the Home Page :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

markov

Free Member
May 31, 2014
Leics, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Steve - Graham's put a lot of hard-work into this site, by the look of it ... Very impressive!

Reactions: GJH

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The Motorhome Tourism Organisation has a parking map. Info is from FOI requests to parking providers.

http://www.tmcto.org/

The best way to use this at present is to use the search facility for the county or town. There are over 1800 parking spots listed. The map also shows where parking is not permitted.

OP
OP
M

markov

Free Member
May 31, 2014
Leics, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's a terrific link, John & Joan ... Thanks very much for your help.

Mark & Elaine

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I live in Bury St Edmunds and yes we do have a very good car park with Motorhome only bays, its called "Ram meadow" right in town and very cheap.
You should do " Suffolk coastal car parks " available at information shops at Aldeburgh, Woodbridge, and Ipswich. £ 10 for a week, and you can stay overnight at Sizewell. Bargain of the year !
Phil

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
you can stay overnight at Sizewell
Whereabouts Phil?
Suffolk Coastal Council has been one of the most helpful over the years in trying to provide daytime parking for motorhomes but according to their web site "Please note that motorised caravans and caravans may not be used for camping overnight in any of the sites owned or managed by the Council."

Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Right on the beach at Sizewell car park.I have done it many times, and they limit your stay to 16 hours max, so arrive 5 or 6 ish, stay til next day.

Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have stayed overnight many times, there is a grassed part of the car park which we always use. We move away during the day, and return in the evening. Never had a problem yet.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This last couple of days I've been doing some catch-ups on councils who have now started publishing details as a matter of course on their web sites.
Of 409 authorities (District, County and Parish/Town) outside Greater London which have responsibility for parking some 205 now publish details of whether or not motorhome parking is available in their area on their web sites.
206 authorities have off-street parking available all the time.
113 authorities ask that people check with them first for advice about off-street parking.
90 have no off-street parking facilities for motorhomes.
In all areas on-street parking is available, though there are restrictions on some streets (usually not just aimed at motorhomes.

In addition, more tourist attractions and national park authorities have responded to requests to publish details pro-actively. The list of such places covered by the web site came mainly of the top of my head so is by no means complete. If anyone knows of any locations where motorhome parking is allowed and is not already covered by the Motorhome Parking web site then please post details on the Link Removed. If there is a web link I'll add it to the main web site and if motorhome parking isn't explicitly mentioned I'll e-mail the location owner to ask for details to be loaded.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Although he didn't mention it himself, Britstops have plenty parking spaces

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun