Motorhome Parking web site now off-line (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I`m not really up on Puters, Graham, but..

I have often gone on a site and tried to copy a certain thing, and when I have clicked on whatever I get a window coming up saying =

You do not have permission to copy (Or words to that effect)

Cant you do some thing on these lines..?

Yes, it is possible Mo. I have such mechanisms in place on a site I look after for a Heritage Trust, to stop people copying photos. The thing with my parking site is that it was intended for people to copy, so long as it was for personal use and not for re-publication, so such mechanisms would have been counter-productive.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Graham, I have just had a shuftie at the Camping Club UK website and read the posting about the site being closed and, to be totally honest, whilst I can appreciate how annoying it is for others to use your work (yes I've had it happen with mine too), I really can't see why such drastic action has been taken by taking the site down or what possible benefit there is! Regardless of who the compiler of the information was, the only people who have been deprived are those of the motorhoming community who can no longer benefit from being able to use the info on it. :cry:

It is annoying/hurtful/frustrating/upsetting (delete as appropriate) but surely the bigger picture should be borne in mind, rather than just the individual's feeling - especially since the site was free so there wasn't any monetary issues with it (ie no advertisers to appease). You are quite within your rights to stop the site totally Graham, but this feels more like an 'excuse' not to have to maintain it anymore and a 'dummy spit-out' situation (we all do it sometimes). That is not meant to be insulting/hurtful, as I've been there too, and I can easily understand why you could feel that way. :shout:

Perhaps rather than removing it altogether, it would be possible to make it available again, but just not update it - it would then be up to each individual to check if the info was still valid - not ideal, but at least it would give some info rather than none. :Smile:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Graham can you reiterate something, as I used to copy the link address and post on a forum or on a email to friends, anything that was of interest, of where to stop with our Motorhomes.
If you do that but always put the link as well is that OK.
Are you saying the other person went to all the trouble of Copying the info and did not put your link to it and made it look like his own work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Putting in a link is perfectly acceptable, Mavis. It directs the reader to the original work where the complete picture can be seen.

What this person did was to download the PoI file from my web site and load it to his own site for his members to download with the message "Thought these might come in handy for some of you :winky:". Not only did that totally fail to acknowledge that it wasn't his own work, it also ignored the usage condition which banned re-publication.

To answer Mel's point. If it were the first time that this had happened then I wouldn't have taken the site down - indeed, I haven't taken it down on the several previous times that people have done something similar.

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
I had a similar situation a few years ago, someone copied and pasted the entire stopovers listing from my website into his own without any credit or link, it even had his own copyright notice added!

He didn't respond to my emails so I contacted his hosting company. The copied content was removed within a few hours.

I must admit that one of the reasons I don't offer a downloadable poi file, despite requests, is that I know full well that it would just be copied elsewhere.

I've also had articles copied into other websites and forums. Trouble is, if you try to defend your copyright you get the usual claim that "it's on the internet therefore its free for anyone to copy".

In fact I don't really object to reasonable amounts of my content being used elsewhere provided that the source is attributed and a preferably a link to the original included as well.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back