Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
With my previous Motorhome which was a Swift Kontiki , when it was new I had PaintSeal Direct applied as I felt it would be too big a van to polish given my limited time available..

The sealer applied to my Swift was the old product, after two years the water stopped beading all credit to Painseal on two occasions came and reapplied the sealer. One of these occasions was I forgot to tell the garage doing the HAB service it not to wash.

The Swift had new Buck Hyde seats in cream , on many occasions my kids dropped chocolate on then and even blood and it came straight off using a special spray.

My post is any anybody used the new Painseal Gen Ex ceramic sealers, I am being offered.for my new Bursrner the new sealer.

Has anybody had any experience of any of the other sealers that are out there.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
There are many variants of such products out there. We have used Guardex at great cost, and it's, well, OK.

We had a bit of damage done to a new car last year, that had just been treated with Guardex at £390 by the dealer. When we asked Guardex to supply a bottle of their "accident touch up kit", they told us that they wouldn't deal direct with the public, and the dealer cost was £120 to polish a single rear panel. Our local paint shop then asked on our behalf, and the kit was £32 "trade". Kind of says it all, doesn't it. I've come to the conclusion that this product, at least, is just someone selling magic beans. Won't be fooled again

Whenever I speak with paint experts they all tell me that these sort of products are really not worth the money, and just a good waxing once a year with Autoglym should be sufficient, and always to wipe off after washing down with a squeegee and chamois leather.

Someone here will be able to give us the low down

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I don't think you can beat Autoglym
Super resin polish followed by their Extra gloss protection which puts a protective coating over the wax so you only have to shampoo the motorhome to remove the dirt which hasn't become ingrained in the wax.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just magic beans as already said. I use MER resin polish which does exactly the same at a fraction of the cost

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
just magic beans as already said. I use MER resin polish which does exactly the same at a fraction of the cost

Agree completely. 20 plus years in the business tells me firmly that these sealants are complete and utter kings new clothes.

When I say agree completely I lied. Sorry my mate but MER is a light cutting old fashion and dusty polish. It offers zero paint protection as it has zero properties in that can do this. You may see a difference in the way the vehicle sheds water after giving your vehicle a light polish with it but that is because you have altered the properties of the surface by doing that polish.

Top end car retailers in Worcester used to offer a paint protection for nigh on 400 quid. We used to get free samples of it for free or we could buy the product for 5 nicker a throw. The products were and are hopeless with limited durability.

Sorry its just the way it is ..

Again my apologies but if we are talking Autoglym its likely we are talking SRP ? Super Resin Polish ? Again this is a very light cutting polish and does not offer any protection.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I can remember being told by someone in the motor trade that what they charged £500 for actually cost them £25 plus a couple of hours work for their car washer.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I can remember being told by someone in the motor trade that what they charged £500 for actually cost them £25 plus a couple of hours work for their car washer.

Unfortunately Bob you were told right.

I kinda sit on a double edged sword here sometimes as the very last thing I ever want to do is upset someone who has shelled out got expensive products. But if I say nowt then someone else could easily end up paying out hard earned cash for no gains.

Sorry to be the one who says this stuff is rubbish !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I used to sell a paint sealant for about £7 a bottle (sadly no longer imported) virtually the same as dealers use and charge you £300-£400 for, not bad for an hours work treating a car no wonder they like talking customers into it.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have always thought that sealers are unsuitable for motorhomes as apart from van conversions they are made from materials that are designed to flex and sealers aren't. Which if the sealer lasts will result in the sealer cracking, which can be a right swine to correct. A customer of mine worked out that the price of a sealer was the same as getting me to wax his van once a year for three plus years, so thought the sealer a bad purchase

Watnotmobile

Free Member
Dec 31, 2018
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since July 2018
I want advice but I also want to contribute to this debate.
Paintseal: This topic is very confusing because we all do different things. I am a bit of a fusspot and with my cars, always give a thorough clean, remove all tar spots, will cut back the paint etc and apply a decent wax several times in the first few months. Then I am quite happy to use a good car wash with the occasional reapplication of wax. I have always had good results. We acquired our new motorhome in July 2018. I had Paintseal treat the unit at a cost of 400 pounds. The job took a full day and involved my brand new, spotless motorhome being cleaned again meticulously by the technician. He then used a small pad and covered every square millimetre with a hand sized pad that he kept impregnating with the Paintseal solution. He gave me a written statement that included every single blemish that he found whilst doing the job. I have travelled almost 3000 miles and washed the vehicle several times with water. The surface dirt runs of and I then use a hand mop and extended wash broom to go over the unit. It comes up like new every time! I think, for such a large item, 400 is a sound investment (a good wax costs quite a lot). I havent needed the pack of cleaner they gave me yet as all the tar and fly spots just slide off when I wash with water.
My question: The motorhome has a bead of silicone all around the lower skirt where it meets the main side and rear panels. That bead of silicone was replaced after the Paintseal treatment and I know that technicians, when applying silicone, used white spirit to wipe off the excess on the side panels. Those seals are in the perfect place to catch all the road dirt - and they do! The result is that the dirt sticks. I want to give it a good clean and apply a decent wax but am concerned that this may spoil areas of the paintseal at the lower end of the side panels. I am hoping someone reading this has an answer for me. Shall I apply the wax to the silicone and areas around it or not?

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Most if these treatments can be bought on eBay for £10-15, they are only effective with proper paintwork, when I have had this done on previous vehicles it was applied over poorly prepped panels, so the edges still had signs of dirt etc. Most dealers will probably clean, and apply in 1-2 hours, the vehicle can't be prepped prooerly in that time let alone treated.
Do it yourself with something like collinite 476s, and it will for an for 18 months and save you a small fortune, spend a day doing it, you will get to know your van much better as well..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back