Motorhome owners lash out at Devon 'ban' proposal (1 Viewer)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You totally lost me there I am afraid, I never suggested people couldn't go where they like.
Anyway back to Devon on thread...
You said to many people going to the same place, implying that was wrong. I just wondered what you would do

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think that’s been flogged to death already, how motorhome owners are doing them a big favour just turning up and it’s their right to expect parking and facilities etc for free or under a fiver a night. It’s like everything people know exactly how to spend other people’s money and they know it’s the right thing to do but would not spend their own money.
It works really well in France Germany Italy Spain etc, with some communities advertising that they have aires on the roads.

The point is that if its handled correctly it can turn a problem into a positive. Some of our towns are dying on their feet and any trade would be very welcome if a place then gets a 'buzz' about it it then attracts more people to visit. Done sensibly the only cost is remarking a probably underused carpark and collecting the money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2012
enfield, mid north london
Funster No
MH
rv A class
Exp
since 2007
I just love the way some on here will make every and any exscuse possible to interpret something to make it to their own advantage, or twist what the actual post is about. I really find some of the posts most amusing and wonder if they realise how silly they sound before posting, makes me laugh anyway.
I would hazard a guess that most park there to save money ?, why else would you park where people and vehicles driving past all the time and not be able to sit outside.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sorry but that’s the way I read it , or why is it a problem to many people going to the same place. Or is Cornwall just over crowded full stop.
You have simply misunderstood my post maybe I wasn't clear enough. You asked what would I do and the answer is encourage more parking overnight in lesser known but equally beautiful places to spread the load.
Pretty much where this thread started.

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
My son lives in NZ and we are lucky enough to visit every year. We tour round in his self contained camper, never having to book any sites - well catered freedom camping aires. These sites have been abused by idiots leaving waste and the Country are clamping down, so you must be self contained now.
Think it would be brilliant if UK adopts the same measures here to bring life back to tired areas, spending money with small local businesses. We all need to do our bit to get this Country back on its feet.
But it must not be abused - if we are not careful freedom camping in Scotland will end

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes we have the blue badge and we pay £40 per year to torbay council to park in any carpark without having to buy a ticket. Parking here states that even blue badge holders have to pay the fee. Usually there is a period if 30 mins extra grace. If we did park "sideways" we'd have to pay for 2 parking spaces not 3.
Its free here for Blue Badge Holders but i have never understood why...Being disabled means you need facilities like wider bays near the shops not that your poor and cannot afford to park,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We didnt book a single stay in NZ.
We never do in Europe,,,if somewhere is full its never far to somewhere else to park up.BUSBY.

Caroline Smit

Free Member
Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not at the momeny
Worked in Aberystwyth , yrs ago campers parked along esplanade for days on end , banned overnite , but for a nominal fee you can park overnite down near the lifeboat station no problem , it’s works .
Not anymore, the Council have banned all overnight stays the length of the Prom (even by the Life Boat Station).

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
My son lives in NZ and we are lucky enough to visit every year. We tour round in his self contained camper, never having to book any sites - well catered freedom camping aires. These sites have been abused by idiots leaving waste and the Country are clamping down, so you must be self contained now.
Think it would be brilliant if UK adopts the same measures here to bring life back to tired areas, spending money with small local businesses. We all need to do our bit to get this Country back on its feet.
But it must not be abused - if we are not careful freedom camping in Scotland will end

There are always idiots that abuse the good will of the locals, and there are always cheapskate tossers that also abuse the system , arriving late and leaving early!

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
I would think most of them are Surfers and will just find somewhere else to park.
Unlikely as most real Surfers are very much environmentalists. More likely to be thosewho think it’s okay to remove the DPF filters from their vehicles So they don’t have the limp mode issues and maybe eek out a few extra BHP.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Unlikely as most real Surfers are very much environmentalists. More likely to be thosewho think it’s okay to remove the DPF filters from their vehicles So they don’t have the limp mode issues and maybe eek out a few extra BHP.
Very much so, I have not surfed for years but still know many people from the local surfing scene and as Oldchappers says nearly all are amongst the most environment aware people I have ever known. So often they will be the ones you will see clearing up other peoples rubbish, no one wants to surf in a sea full of plastic bottles and worse. Generally they cause no problems and just want to enjoy what is a rather spiritual experience riding the waves, there are of course exception is every walk of life unfortunately though.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder what percentage of the motorhome / campervan owning fraternity these freeloaders represent, a minority i would think,
Once again the law abiding silent majority being judged by a non caring minority
Some things never change

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back