MOTORHOME owners have returned to a Lincolnshire car park which had its height restri (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I've got to ask, do we need libraries in the internet age ?

I've not been in one for 20 odd years.

cant get in our local one, my van is too wide and there is no sea view anyway::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Why don't they have fees for 24 hour parking. Including overnighting. Is it down to there being no one to give out tickets to the "free loading tossers" who stay for the whole week , 2 week ?
Surely if signs were put up , and a warden patrolled and enforced fines , they'd soon move on and pass it round word of mouth that if you took the P ( or in this case throw your Pee the dunes ) you were fined a large sum for doing so.
I'm sure you'd only have to fine a dozen or so and word would be out.
Whilst I'm at it....As for disabled having free parking .
Well I maybe being a bit controversial here, but why should they ?
Just cos your disabled doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay for parking in my opinion . You have an income through various benefits , if you don't have a job and even a free car etc in some cases.
As for needing to park near something , I can understand that. But why for free ?
Plus if you had them exempt from hight barriers you would only get people borrowing there MIL 's clock thingy and putting it in the window , like you get in towns now.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why don't they have fees for 24 hour parking. Including overnighting. Is it down to there being no one to give out tickets to the "free loading tossers" who stay for the whole week , 2 week ?
Surely if signs were put up , and a warden patrolled and enforced fines , they'd soon move on and pass it round word of mouth that if you took the P ( or in this case throw your Pee the dunes ) you were fined a large sum for doing so.
I'm sure you'd only have to fine a dozen or so and word would be out.
(snip).

Why not indeed - but set at what level? That's the point I was trying to make earlier. Any such scheme would have to be cost effective.

Councils don't know (and don't have the resources to research) what level of take-up there would be at different fee levels so it is difficult (at least) for them to work out whether it would be cost effective to put a scheme in place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[HI]There are plenty of ways to prevent overnight parking other than height barriers[/HI] that prevent any type of parking for many motorhomers.

However criminal damage and removal of barriers is not the way forward and at the end of the day its the people living in that area, that end up paying the cost of the criminal damage through their council tax payments.
Without additional expenditure I cant think of any. My experience tells that without hight restrictions then motorhomers will take over the best spots forcing everyone else out. What are the alternatives.?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why not indeed - but set at what level? That's the point I was trying to make earlier. Any such scheme would have to be cost effective.

Councils don't know (and don't have the resources to research) what level of take-up there would be at different fee levels so it is difficult (at least) for them to work out whether it would be cost effective to put a scheme in place.
Too cheap and car visitors will be forced out by overnight long stay merchants. These places are as the name suggests Car Parks. Locals and car drivers get very upset if the best spots are taken over from the previous night and the smell of dumps can be quite off putting.:Eeek: Makes me smile how we condemn French travellers for staying uninvited in car parks but who are the biggest abusers doing exactly the same.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
East coast

Mmm well a lots been said about Huttoft & Moggs eye, we hav been there quite a few times in the car not the camper. The most motorhomes we hav seen there r about 12-15 the only 2 that took up room were 2 rv"s with room between them for all the kids bikes etc. The people we saw throwing chip papers etc were in the cars of which i took a pic, so why not take pic"s of all the campers with there rubbish and put it up on here.
Now Moggs eye there was some1 with a tent up but if it was patrolled that would not happen the carparks in town are patrolled £5 a night max 2 night job sorted.
Sorry about the rant:sorry2:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mmm well a lots been said about Huttoft & Moggs eye, we hav been there quite a few times in the car not the camper. The most motorhomes we hav seen there r about 12-15 the only 2 that took up room were 2 rv"s with room between them for all the kids bikes etc. The people we saw throwing chip papers etc were in the cars of which i took a pic, so why not take pic"s of all the campers with there rubbish and put it up on here.
Now Moggs eye there was some1 with a tent up but [HI]if it was patrolled that would not happen the carparks in town are patrolled £5 a night max 2 night job sorted.[/HI]

So put the case together and take it to Lincolnshire County Council (N.B. not the district/city councils which patrol car parks in towns).

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Now Moggs eye there was some1 with a tent up but [HI]if it was patrolled that would not happen[/HI] the carparks in town are patrolled £5 a night max 2 night job sorted.
Why? what is the difference between motorhomes caravans tents and tailor tents. Shouldn't they all be welcome. They all need somewhere to stay.:thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
This is yet another extension of the "free parking should be provided for MHs because we are a special" cry.
We are no different to anyone else, we are simply vehicle users.
We hear a lot of "we spend money in the community" etc., but we also hear of many who want free parking and facilities, but take everything with them from home.
Those folk contribute nothing to local economies, so overall, this argument doesn't stand up.
Given this feeling that MHs should be able to park wherever and whenever for however long a time they wish, why not tents, caravans, lorries also?
Why shouldn't lorries use aires in France?
Why should they pay to park?
The argument is the same.
As has been said already, there are plenty of sites, CLs, etc. on this stretch of coast.
There is no need to park in seaside car parks and shit in the sands in the name of saving a few bob.
Those who are up in arms about this facility being restricted would probably be the first to shout out if a traveller camp sprung up in their small town car park, keeping money spending folk away.
There is no difference.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When will these people learn that if you hit somebody they hit you back rather than give in? Criminal damage will only harden the attitudes of the Lincolnshire councillors.

Over the last 5 or 6 weeks I've been in touch with something around 300 councils which did not publish motorhome parking information, encouraging them to do so on their web sites to make it easier for people to know where they can park (in the daytime at least).

Several councils have commented that, quietly and without fuss, they are actually looking at introducing overnight stopovers, putting together evidence of benefits and anticipating how to overcome potential problems/objections. As a result I have started providing information supporting the creation of stopovers, again quietly and without fuss.

As one said yesterday "The Council is aware of the importance of such vehicles and as a consequence is currently considering possibilities for making arrangements for motorhome stop overs in the District. It is regrettable but this matter has proved controversial and at times complex due to local concerns.".

What is likely to happen as a result of the criminal damage and selfishness of a few people is that those against stopovers in other areas will use the adverse publicity to reinforce those concerns and knock potential schemes on the head before they get going - and what will happen then is that those same selfish p*ll*cks will whinge about it without even having the gumption to realise that it is their activity which is the cause.

I despair sometimes. It really makes me want to just pack in anything other than simply enjoying our van :Angry:

and how many will ultimately do a U turn for no apparent reason....as did Scarborough council.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
and how many will ultimately do a U turn for no apparent reason....as did Scarborough council.

Scarborough council didn't do a U turn for no reason though. What they got wrong was releasing publicity about allowing overnighting in car parks before looking into things properly.

If the council had given themselves planning permission when similar permission had been refused, over several years, to private applicants then they would have opened themselves up to the possibility of legal action from some of those who had been refused.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Why? what is the difference between motorhomes caravans tents and tailor tents. Shouldn't they all be welcome. They all need somewhere to stay.:thumb:

yes they should all be welcome but were talking car park not a camping site and the tent i refer to was up for at least 4wks that we know off which is talking the piss in a car park:thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
yes they should all be welcome but were talking car park not a camping site and the tent i refer to was up for at least 4wks that we know off which is talking the piss in a car park:thumb:
And surely this also applies to motorhomes that are parked up for weeks on end in the car parks along this stretch , taking the piss

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Totally agree £5 a night max 2 night:thumb:

What relation does £5 a night have to the cost to Lincolnshire's council tax payers of setting up and managing such a scheme?

It may never happen but it definitely won't happen unless somebody comes up with a convincing argument for the county council.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
And if they charged £5 a night for a max of 2 nights there would be even less spaces for cars to park! And it would not put an end to the emptying of toilet waste in the dunes or the rubbish dumped by the inconsiderate, in my eyes car parks are for parking and not spending a week or a fortnight there for a cheep holiday

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That would be great,:thumb: as long as we leave the caravans hitched to the vehicle it will be no longer than many of the motorhomes are. Would be very handy for a two night weekend £10 all in. That is less than half as much as I've been paying at the CLs I will be quids in.:thumb: Little wonder our hobby is becoming so popular.:thumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm keeping a record of how much I spend locally when I'm away. That way I have a record and evidence of money being spent in a locality due to my visit. It will be interesting to see how much is spent when I'm away.

If a few of us did that there would be a body of evidence to show to councils.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
whats my username got to do with it , i am called that because i used to drive a freelanderuk as was known as this on the landrover forums , do we have a smiley for knob

I took voyergerstans post as a joke, that's why he used :confused:, I don't think there's any need to start calling him a knob!

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I would say an honest presumption based on your user name and an attempt to inject a little humour into the thread. After all this is a fun site. I did find the attempt at humour from you re. the knob, uncalled for and offensive. I offer my opology if my reference to caravans touched a nerve, I was curious about the freelander fuel consumption when towing a caravan.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
whats my username got to do with it , i am called that because i used to drive a freelanderuk as was known as this on the landrover forums , do we have a smiley for knob

it's a door knob so open it and p--s off !!! STAN (no smiley this time)

@freelanderuk please be mindful of Broken Link RemovedIt's a simple rule and easy to follow. Thanks
@voyagerstan. Please report posts that break the rules rather than respond directly, otherwise we have handbags everywhere. Thanks

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back