Motorhome Owners are the Safest on the Roads (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's Official : :thumb:

" With recent road safety statistics revealing a 7% decrease in the number of injuries caused by road traffic accidents in 2009, Safeguard has revealed that motorhome owners are contributing to the reduction by being the safest drivers on the road.

One of the UK's leading providers of motorhome insurance has released new figures which show that over 90% of motorhome owners have four or more years no claims, compared to a much lower 80% of car drivers, and just 77% of van drivers.

The statistics also revealed that the percentage of motorhome owners with less than one year's no claims (1.6%) is much lower than car (11%) or van drivers (12%).

Following the new no claims statistics, Safeguard commissioned an online survey of 1,200 motorhome insurance customers which revealed that 76% thought that they were the most experienced drivers on the road thanks to their experience of controlling a large, difficult to manoeuvre vehicle, with a further 88% believing that they were safer than van drivers as they were more likely to stick to the speed limit.

Rita Sadler, Safeguard Manager, said: "It's great that the figures have revealed that motorhome drivers are some of the safest drivers on the roads and also the least likely to make an insurance claim. However, we urge all motorhome owners not to become complacent about their ability and to always take care on the roads.

"It is vital that all motorhome owners refresh themselves with the Highway Code and speed limits regularly, as this can help to reduce accidents on the road and keep motorhome insurance premiums to a minimum."

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I pay £120 per year insurance for the motorhome (Saga) and £280 for the Skoda for the same level of cover.

Makes sense now!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ive just been quoted £288 from Comfort for the Van - 10000 Miles PA! The car - Smart - was £211!:ROFLMAO:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I wonder if the reason for the low claims from motor home owners is that the motor homes are big enough for the blind b******* to see.

Doug...

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
I am a bit sceptical about the survey and the findings.

The questionnaire asked the respondents about their own opinion, and everyone can say that they are a better driver due to [insert reason] and that they are safe.

Another factor is that motorhome ownership is less than car or van ownership and motorhomes are usually used less than cars and vans too.

Rasmus

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mind you, if every driver had to wait for bloody months for body repair shops and garages to get parts for repairs, they'd be a lot safer too!::bigsmile:

If you have a shunt in your motorhome, you may as well forget about travelling for the rest of the year!

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
The insurance companies annoy me. When i came to insure our MH for the first time, id obviously no no-claims, as id never had one before. But, ive 20 years no-claims on my commercial vehicle policy, so why cant that be taken into account? Ive proved i have ''experience of controlling a large, difficult to manoeuvre vehicle'' as Jim puts it, so why am i not 'rewarded' with a low premium?:Angry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You may well have been, had you asked the Motor Home insurer to "mirror" your NCB :thumb:
Having a trade policy,that doesn't officially have a no claims system I have had to ask for my history to be "Mirrored" every time Ive changed motor home insurer, the majority have complied, with as much as 60% reduction.
It costs nothing to ask and if they only do it for the first year you save
The term "Mirrored " ie to reflect your good driving record:winky:
Geo

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Now the EU has said gender, and I think age, cannot be taken into account, we'll presumably all be paying premiums calculated without any regard for our experience. ( I nearly said "track record", but several of us should keep off that path.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back