Motorhome owners are outstaying their welcome (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
It's an interesting thing perception, I am also a motorcyclist, a couple of months ago I was leading a tour of five around the Lake District and stopped at a hotel that I had booked in advance. Upon booking in I was asked to pay in advance. Seeing red, I asked if it was because we were "bikers" and would he be asking me to pay in advance if I had pulled up in my Aston Martin. How stuck was he for an answer!
Similar thing happened to a group of us at a busy riverside pub near Reading - refused service. One of the group was a successful businessman so we left quietly, went back to his place, took off our jackets and returned to the pub in his Bentley. No problem this time until we loudly pointed out the publican's hypocrisy, causing him no little embarrassment.
However the point is, as the number of people who cause offence grows from a tolerable minority to an unacceptable nuisance then the entire cohort will get discriminated against. Based on my experience as a motorcyclist (not a biker please!) once the damage is done there's not a lot you can do about it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Had to smile at all this money being spent, one recent thread was only just saying they did the nc 500 and only brought fuel and food. I guess the local economy is now booming. Haha
I'll have you know that in one Charity shop alone we spent £16! My poor Yorkshire moths were well peed off!
:giggle:

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Why is it assumed by many that we all drive £50K motorhomes. I like many do not and banning motorhomes from car parks during the day helps no one. My wife has mobility issues and to park in a car park with a view on a day out is a joy for her.
Exactly the same here, Sue has mobility issues and sometimes needs some "facilities" at very short notice, MH gives the freedom to travel and stop where we please.
We always try to park responsibly and not cause problems for others

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
And this is the problem. Pay50 to 100 k for a MH. But refuse to pay 25 quid for a site. Eventually we will be banned from everywhere.
i want pay £25 for u or any body else. i think they are taking the mick. £15 tops. natch-a-rally u are entitled to your own thought. u could be quite
rich. so stay safe in your world. ok.pj.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If I can give a brief explanation and insight:

The council were going to ban all motorhomes from Ayr Esplanade car park, because of:
1. Too many motorhomes taking over too much of the car park, especially along the seafront.
2. Too many motorhomers "parking" up for long periods of time. One in particular for months at a time.
3. The sea front houses ain't cheap, and don't want to look at a row of motorhomes. One of those houses is owned by a senior councilor, and well, you can work out the rest.
No argument with any of that - I agree that MHers should be considerate about where they park and for how long.

However, the Council listened to reason and argument. and have installed the Aire at the bottom end of the esplanade - where you stopped.
A parking App had to be used, as the car park is normally free and therefore doesn't have payment machines. Once set up, Ring Go )and others are very easy to use.
The issue with the boy racers is known, and being looked into.
I do hope so as they were a pain in the bum but that's not the only issue - the layout/placement of the MH overnight parking is just wrong ... trying to relax in a MH in the middle of a 'roundabout', even without the boy racers, is an issue during the daytime, this reminds me, I must send an email with my experience (as per their sign requesting comments).

There's also now an Aire at (Harbour car park) Girvan (about 45 mins drive south of Ayr. Same deal, and started due to too many motorhomers causing issues at both Harbour car park, and more especially at the car park to the south of the town.
Hearing from those who went to the Girvan harbour car park and then joined us at the south one they said it was busy and certainly not a relaxing place to stay for the day or night, this was what we thought it would be like hence our going direct to the south one where we stayed for a few night however had the car park become congested (cars and MHs) then we wouldn't have stayed so long in order not to prevent the locals etc being able to enjoy the place too, as it was there were still plenty of places even with quite a few MHs in it so no problems.

Both schemes are a trial, and reviewable in the autumn.
I do hope they keep them going but look at the changes that need to be made as the Ayr one especially has got some horrendous reviews.

Loch Doon:
Once again, too many motorhomers taking the P and causing too many problems.
We'd never been to Loch Doon before so have to go on what we think was gong on and from reading some of the comments on the app sites a lot seem to be made by those who have very basic campers thus they 'foul' the area (taking and making the P), there also appears to have been quite a few 'tent' campers too with no toileting provision at all and these are these 2 types are the ones who tended to stay for a long time, which I agree is not on.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Similar thing happened to a group of us at a busy riverside pub near Reading - refused service. One of the group was a successful businessman so we left quietly, went back to his place, took off our jackets and returned to the pub in his Bentley. No problem this time until we loudly pointed out the publican's hypocrisy, causing him no little embarrassment.
However the point is, as the number of people who cause offence grows from a tolerable minority to an unacceptable nuisance then the entire cohort will get discriminated against. Based on my experience as a motorcyclist (not a biker please!) once the damage is done there's not a lot you can do about it.
I haven't toured by motorbike in the U.K. but that's never happened to me in France where I've toured solo and with a few pals for more than 30 years. On the contrary; one one occasion they've had us wheel our bikes through Reception and the potted palms to put them secure and under cover and put our wet gear to dry in the boiler room. Cars drivers invariably pull over to let us pass.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I am just pondering about all of the people who do not want to pay for campsites, go about waste disposal, Grey Black and dry waste, plus filling up with fresh water. They must either take very short breaks or have very large tanks !! :giggle:
We have 2 toilet cassettes, a 150 litre fresh water tank and large grey waste tank (can't remember the size) - by using MH specific 'aire' type facilities in SW Scotland we didn't need to use the 2nd toilet cassette, fortunately we're not the sort who wants to have daily showers so no massive demand on the fresh tank and there is a bonus ... being smelly ensures we don't have to make conversation with weird strangers! :giggle:

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
I haven't toured by motorbike in the U.K. but that's never happened to me in France where I've toured solo and with a few pals for more than 30 years. On the contrary; one one occasion they've had us wheel our bikes through Reception and the potted palms to put them secure and under cover and put our wet gear to dry in the boiler room. Cars drivers invariably pull over to let us pass.
So so true, likewise I have toured extensively in Europe by motorcycle, and what a pleasure it is not having the carry the stigma of being a motorcyclist.

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
There is a CLUE in the title. CAR PARK
Car parks were not designed for Motorhomes or camper vans, the few that made provision have large bays.
If motorhomes only parked overnight on "Camping" sites then they probably would be full up, if they were full up i bet more would open up.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I am just pondering about all of the people who do not want to pay for campsites, go about waste disposal, Grey Black and dry waste, plus filling up with fresh water. They must either take very short breaks or have very large tanks !! :giggle:
If you can't workout how to do those things legally without going on a campsite you'd never make a fulltimer.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
£5.50 to park for 12 hours at Barmouth, seems to include the promenade. That might solve any problem, only thing is cars wanting to enjoy the view have to pay it too. We wanted to take the bikes up the Mawddach Trail so no having to decide how many hours to select in easier to park in car park as the burghers of Barmouth made that decision for us. It did seem to be causing a fair bit of discussion with everyone at the meters though! Last place we were that only gave a 12 hour parking option was only around £3/4. Have found welsh car parking charges pretty fair in general throughout our current trip.

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Let me re-write the original quote for accuracy.

"People in motorhomes are ruining the view for those of us who want to park our cars there and enjoy a sandwich and a thermos of stewed tea, by parking there in their motorhomes, enjoying a proper lunch and a fresh brew. This is obviously completely unfair and so should be stopped." Ann Greegit - Wales.
Sounds like they are jelous and just want the 'view' all to themselves !

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Just to say (again) camping of grid is not about not wanting to pay. Parking up somewhere quiet, peaceful, alone and having the feeling of being self sufficient are all good reasons for camping of grid. Personally I've always beenput off campsite camping as I just never warmed to the idea of parking up in a field with lots of other motorhome, caravans, tents, and using shower blocks, plugging I to electricity. To be honest I could do that at home!

As for grey water - a roadside drain somewhere would suffice and then find a public toilet for your black. Water is a skittle harder but if you don't shower to much....

In practice we do both and intersperse short off grid periods with visits to campsites.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Oh absolutely. But I must admit to taking guilty pleasure in reading local papers when I'm visiting friends or family in the UK. The "They dug up old Fred's park bench on Williamson Road last week and now what are the local ducks meant to sit under - Angry from Walthamstowe" type letters are just such a curiously and wonderfully British thing. The same way that (as Bill Bryson also noticed) the British don't really make separate queues for things like a train ticket. We make one queue and then go to the first available counter as its much fairer! Lovely, charming and just slightly odd when you don't live there anymore!
My Dad was one of these letter writers in his old age. I would pick up the local Guardian, flicking through the local views and there he would be! Always used his full name and came up with some very strange topic.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I have been riding motorcycles for more than 50 years and I'm well aware that Joe Public regard them as noisy nuisances that should be banned. I'm also aware that to a great extent that's true (a recent road test in a mainstream magazine expressed amazement that the manufacturer did not offer an "accessory" (i.e. noisier) exhaust. Both my motorcycles have quiet exhausts as do thousands of others. Do I get refused entry at pubs and restaurants? Yes. Do I get verbally abused? Yes. Is there anything I can do about it? No. Sound familiar?
We got refused entry at a cafe because the owner knew we were bikers! We had changed and left the bike, helmets and leathers round the corner.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
What was the minority is now turning into the majority so many more of our motorhome community are now finding beautiful scenic places and parking up for as long as they can get away with, we have just got to ask ourselves would we like our places of residence invaded for weeks on end by motorhomes, I totally understand not wanting to be ensconced on a campsite for long periods as it affects the spontaneity of roaming and thats a big part of the attraction to motorhoming, but for christ sake let's get real here, I know the majority of m/h ers abide by the code and ethic of our fantastic pastime we have been doing best part of 20 years now and the steady decline in behaviour of some is very disturbing and even sickening, and I know not all littering and dumping of fluids is not always down to us, as I have seen shocking behaviour of locals in places we have stayed at , but always at places that are M/H tolerated, sadly the surge in some new additions to our community just simply don't care about the etiquette and moral behaviour that we should all display, again its a minority but it is escalating at an alarming rate, and we need to rescue what decency we have left in the eyes of various people and locals, please let's get back on track before its too late.

I know the majority of m/h ers abide by the code and ethic of our fantastic pastime
I'd like to agree, but where could a newbie find the "code and ethics" written down. Personally, having camped, sailed, hostelled and otherwise enjoyed the countryside in this country and abroad for many years, I like to think I have a grasp of what is reasonable behaviour but what's the point of reference for someone whose previous idea of a brilliant holiday is a drug fuelled piss-up on Ibiza?

Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2020
I'd like to agree, but where could a newbie find the "code and ethics" written down. Personally, having camped, sailed, hostelled and otherwise enjoyed the countryside in this country and abroad for many years, I like to think I have a grasp of what is reasonable behaviour but what's the point of reference for someone whose previous idea of a brilliant holiday is a drug fuelled piss-up on Ibiza?
I found this in "The Camper Van Bible" by Martin Dorey.

1625744937932.png

In his book he says

The Rules of Wild Camping:

".... Anyone , at any time, is welcome to take these rules and distribute them freely....."

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I was in Brighton the other day and parked a car for less than 6 hours - £14.50! and that was after queuing to get in for 20 minutes - one in one out.
3 years ago parking for 6 hours here in Brighton cost 'from £27.45'.
My son uses that large town centre car park regularly and it's nearly always full by 10 o'clock.

Brighton parking.JPG

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Some people must be earning some good money to even be able to afford these car park charges.
I go to Brighton occasionally, it's expensive, the pink pound? I'm lucky, I've a mate in Hove who lets me park on his driveway... not to sure how much his neighbours like it, mind.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If motorhomes only parked overnight on "Camping" sites then they probably would be full up, if they were full up i bet more would open up.
No, they'd just put the prices up, a lot.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
if you take up two bays you pay double so what’s the problem
Many councils do not allow buying 2 tickets
In London at least that's not legal. But as long as your wheels are in the box you can overhang as much as you like
never seen one like that. All inside the box including mirrors = impossible in many large mpv& 4x4's

My son uses that large town centre car park regularly and it's nearly always full by 10 o'clock.

View attachment 514323
NCP? says it all.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year

View attachment 514323
Shocking! We went to a slightly out of town, but walkable, used a lot by the locals (we were with family). I mentioned our parking was free and plenty of spaces - they just had to move 500 miles away!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back