popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
It may be that our motorhome is overloaded and thus I intend to get it weighed. If it isoverloaded, the answer is in a way simple: take stuff out. In another way, however, it's not simple. We live in our vehicle full-time and already carry as little as we can manage with (so we tell ourselves, anyway).

The vehicle already has a suspension adaptation which gives a "loading allowance" of 675 kg. If overweight, is it possible to fit different (stronger, wider?) tyres to allow for this, or is the only solution to take stuff out?

While on the subject, I'd like to ask about weigh stations in England. Are there different kinds of location? Are they private or government run? Are there any free ones, or how much should I expect to pay? I live in Germany but want to get this sorted in August, when we go to England.

Many thanks.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We uprated our van and could have increased it more by changing the tyres.

Air assist suspension is usually the first change to allow you to up-rate the van - I assume your suspension adaption is this.

We could have uprated it higher by changing the tyres so I assume this would be an option for you.

Not sure about weighing stations but we used our local council yard to weigh our van.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
675kg is no where near enough payload to full time in, you need well in excess of a tonne, nearer 1.5 tonne.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There are different kinds of weigh station. Some privately owned and some run by local councils. It’s probably easiest if you post again once here and ask for knowledge of a weighbridge in that specific area.
Someone will be around to answer you.
If you want to take you a MH over the 3.5t, which I presume is it’s plated max according to your avatar, then you will have to get advice about what you can take your van up to with your chassis, suspension and tyres and get the paperwork altered to suit. In the UK we have to apply to DVLA for the new paperwork. There is a well regarded company that helps with this called SVTech.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Be aware it's also a license issue. You may be able to uprate the van BUT by going above 3500kg you need the correct license classification. If you have a German or other coutry license you may be restricted.
In UK they lowered the limit back in 1997.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We used our local skip hire firm in Salisbury. Very friendly, came out and watched, shouted the weights so one of us didn’t have to get out and the cost- she said a nice bottle of white wine from our travels. When I researched this the most anyone seemed to pay was £10 but I phoned a small company and they were happy to help.

Upvote 0

Paul1958

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
Tavira, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I don't know why other countries don't follow Portugal. They have an exception whereby mhomes can go be driven up to, I think, 4250kgs on a normal car licence.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As an option you could fit a towbar and haul a trailer behind?

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I think the OP will have a few problems with this one. It's based on a FORD RANGER so lots of research to do to find out what can be achieved. Maybe better just to put a trailer on the back and be done with it. A lot simpler than playing around with air suspension and all the other bits and pieces.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
I don't know why other countries don't follow Portugal. They have an exception whereby mhomes can go be driven up to, I think, 4250kgs on a normal car licence.

Hi Paul1958, can you remember where you got that info from re 4250 kg and normal car licence.
David.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If push comes to shove, don't dismiss a trailer, we towed one for years. It's an easy, legal way to have an extra 1½ tons of payload and have a man-shed on your pitch (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you want to drive in UK , what does the Loading plate say on the vehicle , fitting spring assisters and bigger(higher load index) tyres wont be acceptable , unless passed by German govt on Zulassungsbescheinigung . You would also need drivers licence for over 3500kg (unless you already have code 96) which allows upto GCM of 4250kg . HTSH

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Slightly off topic but while in Aldi yesterday a UK MH pulled in to the car park with 2 adults 4 kids and 6 bikes on it, no idea what the weight was but I doubt very much that it was legal.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Slightly off topic but while in Aldi yesterday a UK MH pulled in to the car park with 2 adults 4 kids and 6 bikes on it, no idea what the weight was but I doubt very much that it was legal.
I knew there was a reason I parked our motorhome on the road outside their car park a couple of weeks back!(y)
Big Brother is watching!:whistle2::tounge:

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
From another post I believe the OP's vehicle is a German-built demountable - or at least it's built onto the Ford Ranger pickup. So although maximum weights etc. will still apply I would think solutions may be a little different to a "normal" motorhome/campervan.

Upvote 0

Paul1958

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
Tavira, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Thanks for these answers. It seems (assuming it does in fact turn out to be overweight) I have something beginning with the letter "p", second letter "r".

The vehicle is a Burow Oman (yes, Ford Ranger with fixed cabin built onto it), made in Germany.

Original specification: Empty weight, 2,825 kg; total allowed weight, 3,200 kg; now fitted with dual-circuit VB air suspension, taking this latter to 3,500 kg.

Front axle rating as per Zulassungsbescheinigung: 1480 kg; rear axle; 2,150 kg.

The rear tyres, at full Ford-recommended pressure for these tyres, bulge slightly. There is never evidence of tyres overheating.

My driving licence is German and allows me to drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
With the axle weights you would be well to contact the tyre manufacturer who will advise you of the recommended weights for you. Don't worry too much about the tyres "bulging", if they are the correct tyres for the vehicle that's normal pumping them up to overpressure will cause far more problems plus a very hard ride.The Tyresafe website also has some excellent guidance if the tyre manufacturer won't play ball.

Upvote 0

fjooois

Free Member
Jul 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
class
Exp
Air assist suspension is usually the first change to allow you to up-rate the van - I assume your suspension adaption is this.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
popotla what tyre size are you running is it standard fitment 255/70R16 111t as these would be very close to axle limit on rear , going to BFG AT could allow you bigger margin eg 2800kg axle load .
I just realised that I saw a car like yours at Willystreffen at Enkirch last september I didnt realise it was a manufacturer made in Germany . Nice vehicle :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back