Motorhome or PVC covers (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
PVC. Consort Oslo
Exp
We have ordered a Consort van conversion due for delivery at the end of 2020. Our first motorhome. One of many things Im researching is the value of a cover for when it's not in use, to protect from the weather etc. Unlike a car, I assume there is more standing water on the roof when not in use.

Ive searched on the forum, but haven't found any recent discussion, so apologies if Im duplicating another thread.

My questions are these;
1. What do most motorhome/PVC owners do? Do they bother with covers to protect the van when not in use for a while?
2. If they do, what covers would they recommend? I see a huge variety on the market. I would want something that lasts a while, unlike much of the garden furniture or barbecue covers i've bought in the past.
3. Even if they protect the exterior of the van, is there a risk of mould etc, due to lack of air circulation, or any other downsides?

Thanks. Any advice or experience welcomed

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I don't cover mine as I prefer it to have free flowing air around it. I also like to open the door, roof hatches and windows on fine days all year round. It's on my drive which fortunately slopes slightly so no water puddles on the roof.
I've read that a cover encourages sweating/condensation and a flapping cover can mark the bodywork. :unsure:

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Same as Spriddler says
I believe they cause more damage than they prevent!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The first year we covered the caravan up it got mildew on the curtains. It did keep it clean though. We now cover the van with a garage (highered the roof so it fitsšŸ˜Ž) much better.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You will get lots of different opinions on here, but for us we will not use a cover again on a motorhome that's parked outside, the reason why, well we used a cover over winter to keep the muck and grot off and although the cover was tied tight on the motorhome the wind moved the cover about and rubbed through areas of paint down to the aluminium on the corners of the motorhome. The cover was not a cheap one, it was a Royal breathable with a soft flock type lining.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back