Motorhome non starter (1 Viewer)

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just been to try an start motorhome but everything dead no hab electric no cab electric won't start on jump leads ??

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This might sound like a very odd question but..

When you attached the jump leads did the dash light up and did the engine turn over ok ( but not start ) ?

OP
OP
Btg

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I had dash lights first day and a clicking but now nothing no lights on dash won't even open doors on cab

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When you tried to jump it where did you connect the jump leads to ?
Fiat/ Pug / Renault all use a big multi connector thing on the positive terminal of the battery
If you connected the jump lead to somewhere on the big connector plate rather than on the actual battery terminal you have almost certainly blown one of the big plate fuses on the connection plate.
An easy mistake to make ( lost count of the times I have been called to sort the same issue out over the years ! )

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Help also needed
Renault started but no revs
Dont want to hijack thread so please pm me.
Just thought Jaws sounded right.

OP
OP
Btg

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Don't no where I went wrong but hope to call fiat camper aid out on Tuesday I've got call out but as might be my b up they might charge me or do I say it just won't start ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
totally flat engine battery, maybe even too flat to take a charge. jump starting a fiat is done using the terminal under the bonnet, not direct to the battery under the floor for the reasons stated, plus its a right royal pita to get at

OP
OP
Btg

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Oh dear hope they can start it on Tuesday think I'll act dumb cos that's what I think I was should have known better ,

Deleted User
It will almost certainly be a good idea to put the battery on charge (even if you have blown the fuse you will be better off trying for the restart with a charged battery and once it's been replaced)

You never know the fuse may be ok and it's simply a dead flat battery

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wot Micky sed, must have a battery with at least a little charge in it.(y)

OP
OP
Btg

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Ok I'll see what happens on Tuesday thanks all

OP
OP
Btg

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Got it started after leaving jump leads on for about 20 min fiat man said was only 2amp in battery so should have left leads on longer before trying to start I no better now but thanks all

OP
OP
Btg

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
After getting mh going all good went to start again after couple of days started up first time went to check hab status no panel checked fuses blown 20amp fuse fitted new one all ok started up blew 20amp fuse this time behind cab changed that now seems ok but can't work out what blew them in first case ??

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It was when you tried to jump the thing..
Must have connected to the wrong place and most of the feed went to the hab battery(s) rather than the cab one

You do need to be VERY careful where you connect the jump leads to on a Fiat.. As mentioned, there is a tab under the bonnet on later models and it is the only really safe thing to use if you are unsure.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Just as an aside and may help if you need to do this in the future.
You should always clip the earth lead to the engine, near the starter, then you are using the slave battery as a starter battery, and not trying to charge the vehicle battery through it.
Hope that makes sense. A tip given by a Scania instructor a long time ago.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
totally flat engine battery, maybe even too flat to take a charge. jump starting a fiat is done using the terminal under the bonnet, not direct to the battery under the floor for the reasons stated, plus its a right royal pita to get at
Absolutely, have made a mental note to RTFM before ever performing a jump start, as the negative jump start terminal on mine is right under the windscreen in the engine bay!

OP
OP
Btg

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Ye good points made just found out that if hab battery very low the two 20amp fuses will blow to save the battery's from too faster charge

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ye good points made just found out that if hab battery very low the two 20amp fuses will blow to save the battery's from too faster charge
no the fuse is to protect the wiring

OP
OP
Btg

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
The fuse is to protect the battery from charging too quick as the mh battery can only take a slow charge when empty

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The fuse is to protect the battery from charging too quick as the mh battery can only take a slow charge when empty
The fuse IS to protect the wiring......always is, always will be.
The battery will take everything the alternator can throw at it when it is flat.
If the alternator is putting out 150amps then that is whats hitting the battery.
If, as you say, the fuse will blow to protect the battery then how does the battery get any charge at all through a blown fuse ???

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

No, as The Big 1 said the fuse is there to protect the wiring, if the intention was to limit charging current it would be a current regulator not a fuse. What can happen if the leisure battery(ies) is completely flat the alternator sees it as a big load and throws everything it can at it, up to 120 Amps which will upset a 20 amp fuse.

D.

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
of course if the vehicle battery had been left on trickle charge over the winter none of these issues would have arose. maybe something to note for the future. jt

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Btg. The terminal They are all referring to is concealed under a black plastic cover in the engine compartment. Its about50mm square and when you flip its lid open, there is the terminal to connect to..
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back