Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Hi everyone :hi:

Julie and I are in our mid-60’s, her retired, me another two years to go :(. After a couple of years of Julie casually mentioning it to me, I finally showed interest in purchasing a Motorhome in March 2020. We had an idea of the basics that we wanted and decided on a Swift Escape 674. We then found a dealer that had one that we could inspect, along with a smaller, 4 berth before we committed. The price difference and size between the two was so small that we stuck with our original choice for the extra room.

We then trawled the internet looking for one and were surprised how few there were (we still hadn’t even considered the impact of COVID at that time). Late June, we saw an advert for a choice of two Swift Escapes 674’s, one manual and one automatic. The dealer was Dolphin in Christchurch and they had their own spec that included lots of extras and trim, including solar panel, alloy wheels, winter kit, awning and upgraded engine, for a similar price of the basic model we had previously inspected - result(y)

By the time the Motorhome was due to be ready for collection, it was a only few weeks short of September 1st, so we waited until then so as to get the new registration plate.

A bit about ourselves; for many, many years, we have loved travel. Not organised holidays but independent travel to as many places as possible. On average, we would have a couple of UK weekends, a couple of foreign city visits, and two long haul holidays. We always go somewhere different for New Years Eve. Not being rich is why we travel independently everywhere and we are masters of utilising airlines like Ryanair, EasyJet and in South East Asia (our favourite destination) Air Asia.

A few memorables:
First ever flights with a low cost airline: EasyJet (Booked two places in one go, Barcelona and Nice)
Cheapest flight ever: EasyJet, free (just paid the taxes, flew to Malaga and used car hire to drive/stay in Gibraltar)
Most visited destination: Borneo, five times (loved it 1999 - 2004 but became a bit too touristy believe it or not so stopped going).
Last most complicated itinerary: Cheap flight to Kuala Lumpur, then Air Asia flight to Siem Reap (£26) bus to Phnom Penh,
Locals boat to Ho Chi Min City (literally a narrow longboat with two rows of plastic chairs and an engine) flight to Phu Quoc island (£28) flight back to Ho Chi Min (£28) then on to Kuals Lumpur (£26) then home. For guided tours around Angkor Wat we used a local university graduate who now has his own business.
Last most memorable destination: 2019 The Galapagos. Stayed three weeks across three islands for a fraction of the cost of an organised holiday. This was a little challenging as it is quite difficult communicating with the islands in advance, very few places have email that extends beyond Ecuador. However, we could have NEVER afforded a package holiday there.

I consider myself extremely lucky that Julie is willing to give anything a go and trusts me to organise it (such as backpacking around the Scilly Isles with tent, clothes, equipment etc, roughing it in a jungle in Borneo, travelling the Mekong for 3 days in such a basic boat). She is still adventurous but now insists on a little more comfort!

So along comes COVID and last year I was suffering severe withdrawal symptoms from lack of travel and adventure.

Back to Motorhoming. September we did our first holiday in it, five sites across Devon and Cornwall. Loved it. I was on furlough this year until May, so of course, we were out in the Motorhome practically every day until then (lockdown permitting) and a few weekends since then. I never thought that I would say this but I stopped missing my foreign travels, although we will definitely start going abroad again. In actual fact, we have a log cabin with outside hot tub with our name on it in the wilds of Northern Iceland for this coming New Year (all still being well)! :party2::drinks: :cold:

So, we are now enthusiastic Motorhomers who cannot get enough and look forward to extended adventures on the continent. Not next year though as we are still making the odd ‘newbie’ mistakes and need more practice :wasntme:

I hope that you have enjoyed reading this protracted introduction and not dozed off half way through :snooze: We look forward to meeting some of you at future rallies and are definitely up for the Chester one next Easter.

Stay safe, have fun and remember - nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it.

Stephen & Julie

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Amy Poehler Hello GIF by Team Coco

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Great intro, look forward to hearing about your travels.
tenor-4.gif

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from The Cotswolds! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello hellowelcome look forward to seeing you at Chester,.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
:pink::pink:

I would think motorhoming will be boring after your intro 😉😊

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍 You sure have been about a bit. How have you fitted it all in?

Wyn

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Meticulous use of annual leave combined with Bank Holidays!

For instance, I have already booked annual leave for next year over Easter with the first May Bank holiday which gives me 18 days for 9 days booked off and also in June when we get a double Bank Holiday where I can get 9 days off using only 3 days leave.

We have always gone on a long haul holiday over Easter for this very reason, and putting it together myself means I have always tailored the duration to suit. (Years ago I worked briefly in travel and so many people were surprised that they could have a holiday duration different to 7 or 14 nights).

Long before people started to book their own flights and accommodation instead of packages, I was already doing it with the rewards not only being a cost saving but also more choices and flexibility.

It all started with the launch of EasyJet. We only lived 25 minutes from the airport and when they started the fares were so ridiculously cheap we jumped on every offer. Of course, this meant adding our own accommodation and it evolved from there. After a few years, I realised that it could be applied to far flung destinations and our adventures really began!

When Ryanair launched (30 minutes away, we lived in Stevenage) it opened up a huge amount of other destinations and we discovered that our favourite European country is Italy, where everywhere is completely different. One of the best things was the odd day trip to Pisa.
Ryanair fly three times a day to Pisa, so when there was a cheap deal we would drive to Stansted for the first flight and park in the short stay next to the terminal (normally the most expensive part of the trip)! Arrive at Pisa airport which is a 20 minute walk or 5 minute taxi into the centre of town, have lunch, explore the sights which are all in the same square, have an early evening meal, return to the airport and drive home. Honestly, it has always been a cheaper day out than visiting London and of course, the food is very good.

Now we live in Maidstone, it’s day trips to northern France or Bruge via special offers on the ferry or Eurotunnel.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You are definitely avid travellers!

Enjoy your adventures in the van, and don't delay taking it to the continent for too long.

Have FUN!

And :welcome3:. (y)(y)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Welcome. You sound like kindred spirits. We too have done much independent travelling, taking advantage of being teachers and the holidays that came with the job, including teaching 3 years in Hong Kong allowing extensive exploration of Asia. Borneo was one of our highlights.

Now back in the UK and retired we bought a motor home last March and are currently touring France and Spain for a couple of months.

I think the motorhome really suits our adventuring nature and I am sure yours will too by the sounds of things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back