Motorhome newbie (1 Viewer)

Nov 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker ek
Exp
I'm a newbie
I was recommended this web chat by my local plumber.

I am based in Berkshire about three miles from reading. I have a few interests mainly travelling, meeting new people, I play indoor bowls, like reading, wildlife, moderate walking and have a rather large garden to take care of as best I can.

My husband and I (not royalty honestly) had a caravan for many years and we travelled in Europe and the uk. When he died a couple of years ago I decided I would not be able to tow our rather large van and I really didn't think I would be able to continue our hobby without him. anyway as time has gone by I decided that it was far too expensive staying in rented accommodation when I visited my sons who live in Scotland so decided to purchase a motorhome. I have since pitched up in my sisters drive, been to a wedding and pitched up in the grooms driveway (he is my grandson) driven from Cambridgeshire directly to Dorset and stayed on a site with my sister and her husband who have a caravan. Now my next trip is to Scotland in the next few weeks and I am petrified.

Dilemma, being a lone traveller now, where do I stop for an overnight safely. So far I have not had to do this! I have worked it out that Cumbria is probably about half way.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)
( and take a look at the ‘Solo Travellers’ forum)

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and welcome. Very sorry you’re now on your own in your MH. Lots of support can be found on here for you. All the best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
:WelcomeFlag:
Hi Sue and welcome you've arrived at the best place for top tips. Top tip for tomorrow, it's being speculated that the Scot Gov is about to announce a tier 4 lock down for Central Scotland, so tune in. Announcement to be around 12.30. It may affect your plans.

Meantime welcome back. :clap2::welc:

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.

looks good, proper site, excellent services and VERY close to M6.

is useful for finding sites everywhere,

Good luck whatever you decide.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome, and congratulations on your achievements so far.
Try not to live in fear - it will spoil the fun.
Once you have wild-camped a few times, I'm sure you will get used to it.
There are apps that help you find stopovers in the UK but I don't use or know them - maybe someone can suggest one for you.
I have stopped all over the place and it's not so noticeable if you arrive after dark, but avoid stopping near noisy roads (unless you're deaf).
The alternative is to book ahead, onto a site en route, but I prefer not to be constrained like that - I might tire early or feel like going for longer.
Enjoy your travels...

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
w2f
Well done for continuing on your own. Loads of us solos on here.
Tebay is handy but expensive for 1 person.
I'm in both large clubs, Caravan and Motorhome Club, (C&MC) and the Camping and Caravan Club, (C&CC). If you use the main sites as a single person it's cheaper and safe.
Personally I wouldn't sleep well wildcamping on my own.
When we all get back to normal book yourself onto the rallies and you'll meet plenty of us and make friends. We've all been there!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
;bigwelcome:

Don't be petrified, just cautious. There are places to stay, apart from campsites. Country pubs with car parks are just some. There are also, CL's, if you are a CAMC member, and whatever the other club has.

Be somewhere quiet, rather than in towns or cities or industrial estates. If it doesn't feel right, move on.

Enjoy your trip.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back