Motorhome newbie introduction (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Good evening to the forum.
Just joined and am new to motorhoming , having moved from the darker side of Caravanning which we stopped several years ago having lost interest.
Now got my enthusiasm back and purchased our Fiat Ducato Arabella back end of 2018.
She is 18 years old, very low mileage and is in, what I think, very good condition,
Having loads of fun preparing her for this season and generally making accessories etc, like we did when Caravanning.
Am now looking at buying an awning or a camping shelter to use as an outdoor extension for good (or bad) weather.
My dilemma is, and please don’t laugh, is that I am 5feet 7 inches tall (180cm) and my awning rail is right at the top edge of the van side, some 275cm from floor to rail (9 feet).
Even if I use a small set of steps I still cannot safely or easily reach the rail.
How on earth do you therefore get to put an awning into the channel without the need for a small hydraulic platform or scaffolding ?
When Caravanning this was not a problem because, although the awning rail was probably as high at its highest point, the start access point was at just about knee height and you then pulled the awning through.
Starting an awning into a rail at 9feet high , on a ladder (?) is somewhat concerning!
Would appreciate ANY advice, suggestions or comments on this, so long as no-one callers me a “short Harris”!
Am thinking maybe best to look at a stand alone campingshelter.
Many Thankyous
Captain Yoghurtpot.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
:HelloThere:And welcome the house of fun. I have no idea of your dilemma as I am 6’3. ;);) As the awning rail is on the front part of the awning canopy, you could wind it out until you can reach it. Maybe all the way:whistle::whistle: attach the awning then wind back in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Hello Zigisla and thanks for your reply, but what am I winding in and out , my neck perhaps
Our van is not fitted with any kind of Fiamma or Thule or omnistorm system, it’s just a straight awning rail/ channel, 280cm long and at 275cm height.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome to the forum and as for the awning problem ................. just try getting out of the caravan mindset. You have a motorhome now.
I know nothing of awnings, I just have a canopy that winds out for some shade.
If you really really need a awning I`m sure others will be along to help.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
I should get a stand alone then ! :D :rolleyes:

One of the joys of motorhoming as opposed to caravanning is that you don’t “make camp” and tie yourself down. I would hold off buying anything until you have been on a few trips. If you intend to travel in Europe, then the network of aires and stopovers are brilliant but you cannnot use an awning.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Hello Zigisla and thanks for your reply, but what am I winding in and out , my neck perhaps
Our van is not fitted with any kind of Fiamma or Thule or omnistorm system, it’s just a straight awning rail/ channel, 280cm long and at 275cm height.
My bad. :LOL:I thought you had a wind out unit you were attaching an external awning to.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome. I echo what @Figaro says. Motorhoming is different to caravanning in that it is much easier to move on, so you tend to spend less time in one place. Most motorhomers are happy with just a wind out sunshade type awning, and some do not even bother even with. We have a wind out awning because it was on the van when we bought it, but we do not use it all that often. I suggest you use your new toy for a few outings before you you decide whether you want/need a caravan type awning or not.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
w2f
Good advice from @Riverbankannie and @peterc10 .
We bought our first motor home and the associated awnings last November. Since then we’ve done a 5 day trip round Wales and a 5 week trip round France and Spain. Next week we leave for Greece.
So far the awnings have remained in their bags and for this trip they will be left safely tucked away in the garage at home.
We discovered we like the freedom of wild camping for a night then moving on to the next beautiful wild camping spot. Definitely no awnings allowed or required.
I thoroughly recommend you subscribe to this forum. The support and advice you can get from the members is amazing. Whatever you need help with there will be someone who can help.

Ps love the name

Last edited:
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thank you for your comments Figaro.
You are right in my understanding and mindset of owning a mot
orhome.
Need to get with the programme!
Just give me time

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks to everyone on my awning dilemma.
I am thinking we will not be moving daily, maybe 2 or 3 days , but Iwas thinking of a shelter / gazebo type tent affair as somewhere to put muddy boots, wet coats and clobber and just put the outdoor chairs securely next to the van overnight.
I was not thinking of going the full hog of kitting out an awning with everything from the kitchen sink etc inc tv as some do, but more of a space where we could go in the morning etc and sit relatively still out in the open albeit it being “enclosed”.
My Awning channel / rail , for want of better words, is way too high to be faffing with attachments, I can’t afford the luxury of a wind out awning, let alone if one could be fitted without substantial drilling to the side of the motorhome, and it could not be a roof mount because we have a big attached luggage rack and that is even higher!
Will take all advice and try a few test runs as recommended and see.
Thanks all, and I will be subscribing to the forum.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We often put our outside chairs (the ones that fold up cylindrically) under the van or if wet, in the cab footwells overnight.
Some people use a plastic tub for boots that can also be pushed under the van.
Glad you are now a member and we look forward to your reports of your travels :)

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks for advice on boots in a plastic box under the van and on the chairs( ours are the same cylindrical type).
As for our travels, yes, all our motorhoming, for now, will be in the UK , in between our 4 or 5 jaunts abroad into Europe or Turkey on extended holidays.
When retirement prevails then maybe we will travel over the water, but having worked in Europe and Scandinavia I am not overly fond of driving on their side of the road and as I currently spend a considerable amount of time driving in this country presently I am not minded to spend an extended holiday period driving long distances.
So it’s quite a few short hops for now and some extended days out.
Smashing !

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Welcome to fun, an easy pop up like a Quecho (sp) would be fine, light weight and easily done by 1 person of low stature ;)
@Wendo55 can you help with the one you have?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back