Motorhome MOT Advise please (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
My MOT run out yesterday for the motorhome:Doh:but i cant get to the garage till next friday (20th) will this be ok or do i have to let the insurance know or anyone else?

Bit concerned :thumb:ROB&JANE:thumb:

astra

Free Member
May 15, 2012
bristol
Funster No
MH
ford duetto 1995
Exp
Its ok to drive to and from a mot station, hope that helps.insurance should be ok.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
My MOT run out yesterday for the motorhome:Doh:but i cant get to the garage till next friday (20th) will this be ok or do i have to let the insurance know or anyone else?

If it does't feel right, it's not right!!
My understanding is you can drive without a MOT if you can prove your in transit to a pre booked appointment with a MOT station.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Its ok to drive to and from a mot station, hope that helps.insurance should be ok.

If it does't feel right, it's not right!!
My understanding is you can drive without a MOT if you can prove your in transit to a pre booked appointment with a MOT station.

Both correct.
The same applies if your road tax (VED) has run out and you need MOT to get it.
In that case, to the pre booked MOT and back again only is ok.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as Astra and Gooney have said, it is legal to drive to or from (after a fail) a test station BUT the test must be pre-booked as, if stopped, the police will check you arent just taking a chance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Only confirming what has already been said,
You will remain fully legal if

1 The Motor home is off road and on private property

2. You have no intention to use it on the public highway

3. On or before Friday 20th you call your MoT station and book an appointment

4. You inform them you are driving without an MoT and would like them to enter your name and registration number into their booking system

5. You drive straight to the test centre, no stopping for fags or a paper or fuel or detours of any kind for any reason
Geo

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I find MOT time a pain with the Motorhome.

With the car I call the garage, they collect it from me in work, do the work, valet it and bring it back.

With the Motorhome I have to get it from storage and hang around while it's being done.

Mine is due in October - might buy a new one::bigsmile:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Hi ROB&JANE

The above posters are quite right in pre booking etc.

It is worth remembering though, that even with a current MOT the law does not excuse the use of vehicles that have faults that cause a failure. In the same way as it would not excuse the driving to a tyre depot to get a bald tyre changed. Most vehicle related legislation is an Absolute offence and mitigation or excuse is usually argued to reduce or absolve the punishment.

It does get a little sticky if you get a failure and decide to return home in it or take it somewhere else to get it fixed. It is then quite difficult to argue that you were unaware of the problem.

The Insurance will also have a perfect opportunity to decline cover if you venture out in an unroadworthy vehicle, as when you insure you agree to maintain it in a roadworthy condition.

On a lighter note check the usual failure points like wiper blades, water in the washers, Lights and indicators and now that includes dangling bits of unsecured wire that the motorhome builders love to leave, tyres and horn are the last two easy ones to check yourself. So best of luck.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I find MOT time a pain with the Motorhome.

With the car I call the garage, they collect it from me in work, do the work, valet it and bring it back.

With the Motorhome I have to get it from storage and hang around while it's being done.

Mine is due in October - might buy a new one::bigsmile:

I do take M/Home to 'My People' but they then service it,take it for MOT,valet it and deliver it to me.::bigsmile:

Mike.

wolly

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
ripon n yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 plus motorhoming and tugin

you can get your mot 1 month befor it runs out if any problem you can get it fixed and you are not of the road

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If its lez compliant try London Borough of Redbridge

Tell them Gail recommended you - they should be able to fit you in before 20th

but be warned they are a very rigorous tester

Gail

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
mine is due its 1st mot in december however i dont want it in december as its normally a crappy time to have anything done on a vehicle and i dont really like taking it out in the snow well its not me actually its the other idiots i dont trust in snow.

does it actually matter when i get its first mot done? as long as its before its due i dont see a problem but is there a reason why i should wait till december???

wolly

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
ripon n yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 plus motorhoming and tugin
you can get a mot one month befor it is due so you will have 13 months.but if you keep it of the road you can mot it any time you like.hope this helps you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back