Motorhome Mechanic (1 Viewer)

Andy Freer

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
Hi

Looking for recommendations for a motorhome mechanic?

This will initially be for an annual service and check.

We are in Leicestershire.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It's no help, but I've had difficulty as well because the door of my local garage that I and my family have used for 20 years for our cars isn't high enough for my VW T4 Compass. I did take it to my VW commercial main agent but since they usually have fleet vehicles and the bills paid by company transport managers they replaced stuff unnecessarily and willy-nilly. On the most recent occasion I asked them to MOT it as it was convenient whilst it was there. I have had it MOT'd for the past 6 years without any fails or advisories. They failed it because the rear light units lenses were 'slightly cloudy'. They said they'd have to replace the entire units at £285 each. I took it to my usual MOT place and it passed no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Council depots, if they do MOTs, are obliged to offer the service to the public.
They MOT their own vehicles so if they can get a dustbin wagon in the doors they can get a motorhome no matter how big.
I used to take my 32ft 7.5ton RV to Beverley council depot.
The have no incentive to fail it for the repair work...They don't do repairs, but they do charge the full rate....£50 plus.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Council depots, if they do MOTs, are obliged to offer the service to the public.
They MOT their own vehicles so if they can get a dustbin wagon in the doors they can get a motorhome no matter how big.
I used to take my 32ft 7.5ton RV to Beverley council depot.
The have no incentive to fail it for the repair work...They don't do repairs, but they do charge the full rate....£50 plus.
Or BT Fleet. They are said to provide a good service at a reasonable price

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
For 15 years years I'd previously taken my moho, car, vintage and modern m/bikes to a Mr MOT station (MOT's only no repairs) without a single fail or advisory but this time as my moho happened to be at the main VW commercial dealer for a service I had them do the MOT. Lesson learned.
In fact the m/bike tester at my usual 'Mr MOT' station is also a biker and we always have a chat about our bikes. He knows my workmanship and my care for my four old classic Brit bikes (one 1927 no clutch, marginal brakes, acetylene lights, one 1936, one 1947, and one 1954) and whenever I took one for MOT (they're all exempt from MOT's now) he'd give it a cursory once over with the comment: "If you're happy to ride it I'm happy to pass it".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
For your MOT Eden Tyres in Melton Mowbray can accomodate a 7.3m Motorhome. i.e the standard fiat LWB chassis. I took mine along and we tried it for size it fitted in the MOT bay so they MOT'd it. They also reckon they are quite capable of carrying out a service on it as well.
For Habitation Service I use East Midlands Caravan Service (Mobile Service They come to you).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back