Motorhome Manoeuvering Course? (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Ah - tailswing! I know all about that! :winky:

My 'van is 6.8 metres long and I have to be very careful about the swing - have managed to take out my back bumper, not once, but twice on my garden gate! :cry: And both times going forward at that! :Doh:

In my defence, I only have about 8" clear on either side of the 'van when I go through my gate. (and before any bright spark tells me you can drive a bus through that - you can't! )::bigsmile:

It was only thanks to the expertise of Dave (of DaMa I think that's their monikor on here) that it got fixed.

I have a fear of taking out the fuel pump at fuel stations, but have got into the habit of looking for the 'straightest' run between entry and exit!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The point about "tailswing" when pulling away or maouvering at low speed, is a very important one.
I don't know anybody who would turn right off their drive and ignore the builders over the road waving. Even when summat was felt impeding forward motion, a big dollop of throttle was applied.

Porch support wall 'may' have been knocked over.

Nope, don't know anybody stupid enough to do that :Doh:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I don't know anybody who would turn right off their drive and ignore the builders over the road waving. Even when summat was felt impeding forward motion, a big dollop of throttle was applied.

Porch support wall 'may' have been knocked over.

Nope, don't know anybody stupid enough to do that :Doh:

Phew - glad I'm not the only one who does daft things! :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I am brand new to motorhoming and pick up my new Vantage Neo van conversion (6.4 meters long) in April. I have been driving for more than 40 years but never driven anything this size. The Caravan Club runs one day courses for newbies (at £145!) and I was wondering if folk think these are worth doing with van conversion of this size? Any views much appreciated!

I know two people who have done the CC Motorhome Maneuvering Course. In both cases, they've come away a far more confident driver and have both felt they benefited from the course. The course is in two parts; part classroom, part practical driving in your vehicle.

We've just bought a "new" motorhome, which is far bigger than our previous. The wife doesn't want (is nervous) to drive it because of: the size, it's an automatic, it has a reversing camera (which she's never seen / used before). I'll be booking her on the course, coupled with some time building up confidence. :thumb:

Last edited:

wejee

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Rayleigh
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 300
Exp
I'm a newbie
get a backlight

The first time I drove my motorhome I hit a car while parking. You should always reverse into a space – I had pulled in and forgot the extra length (the swing as I straightened did the damage). A friend then gave me a couple of hours round an industrial site on a Sunday, which taught me what to do and what not to do:
I also purchased something called a back light for all of £2.50. This is a piece of plastic that goes on the back window but gives complete rear visibility (works same way ass the light on a lighthouse.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I agree with Devonbeekeeper - many years back, we did the course with the CC when we were new to a large motorhome - it was run by a trainer at an HGV training school for the CC and was well worth it, it helped confidence building wise, for my partner particularly - and I found it very helpful having a qualified instructor commenting on my driving a large vehicle.

It may not be essential, but it is worthwhile.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I know two people who have done the CC Motorhome Maneuvering Course. In both cases, they've come away a far more confident driver and have both felt they benefited from the course. The course is in two parts; part classroom, part practical driving in your vehicle.

We've just bought a "new" motorhome, which is far bigger than our previous. The wife doesn't want (is nervous) to drive it because of: the size, it's an automatic, it has a reversing camera (which she's never seen / used before). I'll be booking her on the course, coupled with some time building up confidence. :thumb:

Absolutely agree. It was very worthwhile and quite enjoyable as well. Great for building confidence while having the benefit of a 1:1 accompanied drive with the instructor going with you on a mix of local roads and motorways as well as parking and manoevres in tight situations, use of mirrors etc.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Reversing

Lots of advice on driving but how many on here have seen the driver trying to reverse into a pitch or side road and the passenger sat in the front seat. They usually make a hash of it!!!
Having looked at the problem get the passenger out at the FRONT and work out the signals before hand and no problem.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My apprenticeship was served over 30 years towing a caravan. That was around 35ft with car. I would reverse and parallel park against kerbs.
Bought 25ft MH and was terrified. I had never reversed on mirrors alone, I used to look over my shoulder when reversing a lone car. Now reverse only on mirrors.
I would reverse MH a few feet and get out and look, SHMBO speaks a foreign language when giving instructions (how far exactly is A BIT MORE? it has ranged from 2 metres to whoa almost immediately)
Bought twin cameras, 1 looking down and 1 rear facing. Now 100% confident and I could reverse anywhere also with the use of mirrors.
I can reverse the lady onto my frontage with feet to spare in one go and miss the neighbour's Chelsea tractor which hangs over half the footpath.
No help, mirrors, cameras and of course, there is no substitute for experience, (and luck).
I took SHMBO on local Industrial Est. one Sunday until she (I) was confident, she may have to drive it back from France one day :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
It's easy really, if the mirrors go through, the rest follows, irrespective of length.

Attachments

• TIGHTspot.jpg
    TIGHTspot.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 16
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a post 97 license and was taught in a little dinky fiesta sized car and passed after 5 lessons. The day after I passed I was sent to London in a 3.5T van to deliver.... Being young I didn't bat an eyelid and the trip was done without any problems.

In 2005 got my first motorhome. 4 weeks later I was driving it in france. I will admit to 2 minor bumps in it. In 2007 I got a 4.5T motorhome which I need to take my HGV test to drive.

I tell you something, that driving course I took was the best money I ever spent. The mirror work, road positioning and the reversing were especially valuable. So much so that I will be doing a refresher course 2017 and then every 5 years.... Since then I have had a 10+ meter bus which I could reverse on mirrors into a slot 9" wider on each side and stop within 2 feet of a wall. That was purely due to having a great instructor... I will never need reversing cameras ever again and I am a solo fulltimer.

I would highly recommend anyone takes a mornings course with an HGV company. :thumb: Money extremely well spent if it saves you just one ding...

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
I am brand new to motorhoming and pick up my new Vantage Neo van conversion (6.4 meters long) in April. I have been driving for more than 40 years but never driven anything this size. The Caravan Club runs one day courses for newbies (at £145!) and I was wondering if folk think these are worth doing with van conversion of this size? Any views much appreciated!
yes go for it theres a lot of helpful tips to be given when driving a van of this size for instance round abouts narrow lanes reversing etc the £145 is well spent for the knowledge you will get.steve :thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's your own decision as to whether or not you pay for a manoeuvering course, but my main piece of advice would be to reverse it into pitches and parking spots at every opportunity, even when going in forwards looks easier. That's the only way you're going to consolidate what you've been taught and get a proper feel for the vehicle. I do the same with cars.

The other thing is planning your exit - getting out of some parking situations can sometimes be harder than getting in. Plan ahead, and allow for the fact that MHs parked in emptier areas of supermarket car parks appear to become d*ckhead magnets, ie you find the thing surrounded by cars that could easily have parked elsewhere when you return to it with a full trolley.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Anip ...............

The other thing is planning your exit - getting out of some parking situations can sometimes be harder than getting in. Plan ahead, and allow for the fact that MHs parked in emptier areas of supermarket car parks appear to become d*ckhead magnets, ie you find the thing surrounded by cars that could easily have parked elsewhere when you return to it with a full trolley.

This happens so often and of course motorists don't have a clue about tail swing on a long vehicle! Scary! For myself, once again as at fuel stations, straightest way out wins each time (I also do park over four parking spaces as far away from the front door as I can, if I can't get out in a straight line, rather than the two I HAVE to use normally):Doh:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
This happens so often and of course motorists don't have a clue about tail swing on a long vehicle! Scary! For myself, [HI]once again as at fuel stations, straightest way out wins each time [/HI](I also do park over four parking spaces as far away from the front door as I can, if I can't get out in a straight line, rather than the two I HAVE to use normally):Doh:

Many filling stations now have the kiosk/shop ahead of the pumps. Some nice person parks by the door so you can't get forward enough to turn.
I often overcome this by using the HGV pump. Quicker fill but often they won't work unless you hand over a valid card first due to the "driveaways".

And why do I get behind the person at the pump who decides to do a week's shopping. Move the damn car. GRRRR!
Or uses the air-line and parks 90 degrees to the kerb and blocks the way through.
'

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Might as well put my two pennyworth in the pot. If you have the £145 then do it - its well worth the money for someone to tell you your bad habits - it should include an on line hazard perception course similar to that done by HGV drivers - I have heard people ask why they need to understand a lot of the HGV info - it gives you a good idea what the other person is coping with and helps you make the right decisions - it should also include a section on the highway code - come on then hands up when did you last read the highway code ?? Bet most of you are saying when I did my test and it has not changed a lot and I know it off by heart anyway. WRONG - it is continually changing in keeping with modern times and needs. Treat yourself to a copy read and inwardly digest you may well be surprised. When did I last read it - as a part of my business I run an operating centre for vehicles and get regular updates on the Highway Code as they change / amend /update so the latest updates last week.

Reversing - whatever happens it is the drivers fault / responsibility, even if you have someone at the back as banksman. If in doubt get out and check - ideally get the passenger out behind with a two way radio and make any manoeuvre slowly and carefully - if it hold someone up then tough they are not responsible for your actions. No matter how good your camera or mirrors are assess the situation properly. Will it see the OAP that is just about to step out behind you or the toddler on a little push bike that's only a blip on the screen ??

If you do not have the £145 then it could be challenged how are you going to fill the tank up ?? :Eeek:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
You could always try your local IAM they will probably have the same thing on offer and [HI]you will more than likely get a discount off your insurance premium[/HI].:thumb:

I asked Safeguard if they gave a discount for IAM and they said no! They don't give discounts for anything apparently. :cry:

Catherine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back